Several HowTo questions

Need help testing contributed art or code or having trouble getting your newest additions into game compatible format? Confused by changes to data formats? Reading through source and wondering what the developers were thinking when they wrote something? Need "how-to" style guidance for messing with VS internals? This is probably the right forum.
poopshotgun
Explorer
Explorer

Several HowTo questions

Post by poopshotgun »

1. Any way to change the docking distance? It's fun to fly into the ring for awhile, now it's just tedious.

2. Any way to change the scanning distance? I find it ridiculous that I have to be right on top of the target when doing a patrol mission. Can this be set for each "radar" system?

3. With the above in mind, is there any way to change the encounter distance so that the game will still play in the same manner?

4. Lastly, anybody know of a good program to skin LightWave models outside of Modeler? Or does the OBJ format include the skin images? I can skin within Lightwave, but I notice that people place a lot of graphics in one file for several parts. Am I just naive and need to be using offsets?

Thanks in advance!
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

yes you can edit
var name="planet_port_size" value="1.6" in vegastrike.config to cofnigure docking distance

you can edit
the dist variable where it says generatePatrolMission in modules/dynamic_mission.py

for random encounters you have to change one of the first two arguments to privateer in mission/explore_universe.mission

I have no idea bout models
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
poopshotgun
Explorer
Explorer

Post by poopshotgun »

I tried that and it works great. However, when I perform a cargo mission, if I land without getting within a certain distance it doesn't register me as having "visited" the target. I'm assuming that I would have to edit the dist variable for each type of mission. Am I correct?

This is like tuning a Vespa: Change one thing and you have to tweak it forever.

Anyway, great game and thanks for the help!
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

you might be able to chaaange the autopilot exit distance to fix all other missions

autopilot_termination_distance in physics

autopilot_planet_radius_percent
(value .6)

as well as planet_port_size, which is one greater (1.6)
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Re: Several HowTo questions

Post by Halleck »

poopshotgun wrote:4. Lastly, anybody know of a good program to skin LightWave models outside of Modeler? Or does the OBJ format include the skin images? I can skin within Lightwave, but I notice that people place a lot of graphics in one file for several parts. Am I just naive and need to be using offsets?
OBJ/MTL meshes contain U,V coordinates for textures, but not the texture images themselves. You can probably get all your texturing done from within lightwave, and them export to obj or go straight to xmesh with the lightwave xmesh export plugin.

You'd better ask an experienced lightwave user about the details, though.