How do you install a new cockpit?

Forum For Privateer Remake
Anscar
Hunter
Hunter

How do you install a new cockpit?

Post by Anscar »

I'm currently flying around in a Steltek fighter (just for the fun of it) and would like to install the steltek cockpit found here:

http://wcuniverse.sourceforge.net/forumindex.htm

I've created a steltek-cockpit.cpt and edited a couple of CVS files, but I'm just thrashing around here. Haven't really got a clue...and can't get it to work. Can someone link me to some instructions here (or on the Vega Strike forums) on how to do this. Turbo who made the cockpit wrote something about how his files replace the Galaxy cockpit files. Should I dump his files into galaxy-cockpit.cpt or what?

Thanks for any help.....and I hope I'm not the only person currently active on this forum (haven't seen much activity lately).
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

1) Duplicate the galaxy-clockpit folder and rename the copy to steltek-cockpit
2) Put Turbo's file into the steltek-cockpit folder, overwrite all
3) Open units.csv with a suitable editor, search for line steltek_fighter and column cockpit and change the folder name to the new one.
Anscar
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Anscar »

Dilloh wrote:1) Duplicate the galaxy-clockpit folder and rename the copy to steltek-cockpit
2) Put Turbo's file into the steltek-cockpit folder, overwrite all
3) Open units.csv with a suitable editor, search for line steltek_fighter and column cockpit and change the folder name to the new one.
Thanks for your reply, but I'm afraid I need a bit more guidance here.

I've done (1) and (2), but am stuck on (3). I've found the file units.csv in the units folder. I've opened it with notepad and found the following under steltek_fighter and edited it where noted:

steltek_fighter,steltek_fighter,steltek_fighter,FIXME,FIXME,FIGHTER,WRITEME,steltek_fighter-hud.spr,10,[ADDED HERE] steltek-cockpit.cpt[END ADDITION],0,-0.016,0.36,{steltek_fighter.bfxm;;},,,,,,45.555,45.555,,3.79625,1000,500,500,500,500,500,500,500,500,10000,10000,10000,10000,,,,,20000,0,32000,65000,26000,True,1,,400,300,0,,16596,14522,16596,120,120,120,20000,15000,15000,15000,15000,15000,15000,350,300,False,2,True,14999,3.1386115,180,10,50,,,,,,,0,0,0,1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1,1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,0,0,,,,,,,{BoostedSteltek;;;Light Medium Heavy autotracking;0;.319;.28;;;;;;;;;1;1}{BoostedSteltek;;;Light Medium Heavy autotracking;-.325;-.264;.28;;;;;;;;;1;1}{BoostedSteltek;;;Light Medium Heavy autotracking;.325;-.264;.28;;;;;;;;;1;1},,,,,,0,0,16,0,1,,,0

I used the "Stiletto" entry in the same file as a model as to where to add the "steltek-cockpit.cpt" entry. There was no pre-existing folder name for the steltek-cockpit folder...just two commas. I added the cockpit folder between the two commas. I'm not sure what you mean by "column cockpit." Is this where I've added the folder notation or is it something else in the file that has to be changed. As it's currently changed, I'm not getting the cockpit graphics.

I've also similarly edited the units180.csv file, but still no luck. What am I missing here?
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

First of all, you need a csv editor which handles the file properly. The most used tool is csveditor2 by GAlex, you can find it here.

Second,
I used the "Stiletto" entry in the same file as a model
that's how it should work.
I'm not sure what you mean by "column cockpit." Is this where I've added the folder notation or is it something else in the file that has to be changed.
A line goes horizontally, a column goes vertically. So if you have a

LINE

you also have a

C
O
L
U
M
N

crossing it, like

C
O
LINE
U
M
N
What am I missing here?
Be aware that the wrong tool might damage your units.csv - csveditor2 has proven reliable. Better fetch a vanilla copy of units.csv from your PU folder before retrying.

Generally, I made good experiences with csveditor2 for csv files, WordPad for the savegames and Notepad for scripts.

I hope this helps - if you're still stuck I can implement it for you and give you the units.csv file by pm - however I have a feeling you want to make it on your own :wink:
Anscar
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Anscar »

First, I restored the game to its original, unmodified state using back-up files. Then, I downloaded the CSV editor (using it, I see what you mean by "cockpit column"), modified a fresh copy of units.csv as you directed, and copied it into the units folder (overwriting the original).

I then re-did the steltek-cockpit.cpt, i.e., took a fresh copy of galaxy-cockpit.cpt, renamed it to steltek-cockpit.cpt, copied in Turbo's zipped file, unzipped it in the steltek-cockpit.cpt folder (it overwrote about 3 files), copied steltek-cockpit.cpt into the cockpits folder.

Unfortunately, I'm still not getting the cockpit when I continue my current game.

I've rechecked the spelling on all the files and the edited units.csv, but everything's correct. I also checked the modified units.csv and it's edited as you instructed (now shows steltek-cockpit.cpt in the cockpit column).

I notice that the Turbo-modified steltek-cockpit.cpt folder still has lots of Galaxy-titled files in it, in addition to the new Steltek-titled files. I assume this makes no difference.

I also note that in the units.csv, the unit scale for the Steltek fighter cockpit is 10, and the axes are: X = 0, Y =0.016, Z=0.36. For the Galaxy cockpit (upon which Turbo based his Steltek cockpit) the scale is 20 and the axes are: X=0.03, Y=0.0521, Z=0.462027. I don't know if this is a factor.

Anyway, this is where I'm at at the moment. Obviously, something is not right.....but I don't know what it is. :?

Do you see anything I've missed doing here.....or messed up?
Anscar
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Anscar »

Got it! You've got to do more than just unzip Turbo's cockpit files into your new steltek-cockpit.cpt folder. I remembered Turbo's OP:
Turbo wrote:I do not include anything that was not my original creation, such as the CPT code, because it's not mine and it wasn't that hard to make it work anyway. Basically, any files that are missing from the ZIP can be obtained or modified from the Galaxy cockpit.
I checked my new steltek-cockpit.cpt folder after I unzipped Turbo's files in it and noted that while there was still a galaxy-cockpit.cpt file present, there was no corresponding steltek-cockpit.cpt file. After backing it up, I renamed the galaxy-cockpit.cpt to steltek-cockpit.cpt, opened it with notepad, and changed "galaxy" to "steltek" in the first two lines which tell the game where to look for the graphic files. Once I did that, I had Turbo's Steltek cockpit:

<Cockpit front="steltek-cockpit.spr" left="steltek-cockpit-left.spr" right="steltek-cockpit-right.spr" back="steltek-cockpit-back.spr" ViewOffset=".2857" CockpitOffset="0.4625">

Problem solved! :D

Thanks for you help and especially for putting me onto the CSV editor.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Cograts to your first modding efforts :wink:
I wouldn't mind a repost of your altered files and units entry since I'd like to put in the cockpit anyway for PU, so feel free to post your package here.
Anscar
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Anscar »

Well, I wouldn't really call it much of a modding effort. :) All I did was edit a couple of files; Turbo did all the real work.

Do you want the altered files zipped up and posted somewhere? If so, I can zip them up, but not sure where to send them. Or do you simply want a comprehensive description of what I did to get Turbo's Steltek cockpit to work?

I now at least have some understanding how cockpits work in PR and can maybe fiddle with them a bit myself. :wink:

I still haven't installed the current version of PU (PU1.1b6-DSE.rar). I was going to do that a month or so ago, but got sidetracked by another game. I only got back to PR a few days ago. I assume the new version hasn't been released yet. I'll attempt to install the current version today.

All I'm doing at the moment is catching up to where I was in the PR bonus storyline before I decided to go back to a save just before the final main storyline boss-battle so that I could capture the Steltek fighter and the Drone (didn't want to hack the game for ships/equipment).

The Steltek fighter is a real God-mode item, but since I've already played RF and the bonus storyline in a Centurion, I don't really care. Using the Steltek fighter (with 14 speed enhancers), I played through RF in an hour or so. :)
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Well, I wouldn't really call it much of a modding effort. All I did was edit a couple of files; Turbo did all the real work.
Sure, but that's the way nearly everybody around here started modding - altering some files.
Do you want the altered files zipped up and posted somewhere? If so, I can zip them up, but not sure where to send them.
Yes, you can post a zip here as an attachment or in a pm to me.
Or do you simply want a comprehensive description of what I did to get Turbo's Steltek cockpit to work?
Thx, I'd prefer the files... I'm happy with every effort done by others, so I can focus on other things.
I now at least have some understanding how cockpits work in PR and can maybe fiddle with them a bit myself.
Capships in PR don't have cockpits. Since WCU has some cockpits for capships and in case you feel bored enough to help PU with that, just give me a shout and I'll send you a link among with my current units.csv... /recruit mode :wink:
I still haven't installed the current version of PU (PU1.1b6-DSE.rar). I was going to do that a month or so ago, but got sidetracked by another game. I only got back to PR a few days ago. I assume the new version hasn't been released yet. I'll attempt to install the current version today.
Yup, still working on 1.2 so far.
Anscar
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Anscar »

Dilloh wrote:[Capships in PR don't have cockpits. Since WCU has some cockpits for capships and in case you feel bored enough to help PU with that, just give me a shout and I'll send you a link among with my current units.csv... /recruit mode :wink:
Yeah, please send me the link and the file. I don't know how much help I can be, but I confess I am getting interested in messing around a bit under the game's hood. I've already added the "Shoklar" graphics to the Gothri, just so the latter would have a cockpit. :) Just a stop-gap, I know, as probably someone somewhere is working on or already has made a genuine Gothri cockpit.

BTW, I PM'ed the modified files to you.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Thanks, I will credit you :wink:

Cockpit links from WCU:
http://wcuniverse.svn.sourceforge.net/v ... /cockpits/
http://wcuniverse.svn.sourceforge.net/v ... _cockpits/
Note that we may not take the cockpits from the /PrivGold folder

There might be more cockpits around on the forum.

The attachment below holds my most up-to-date units.csv. You can either put in your changes here, or into your units.csv, or simply post a shortened with only the relevant lines when you're done. My units.csv might not work with your install however, because I already changed some things for the future release.

And in case you want to participate actively... thx in advance :wink:
Anscar
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Anscar »

Thanks for the file and links. I installed PU yesterday and found (among other new things) a capship-cockpit.cpt folder in my cockpits folder afterwards (which I've already assigned to my Paradigm and Drayman).

After installing PU, I went to Troy and bought some of the new ships, then back to Perry and bought some more. :) IIRC, there's no new storyline in this version of PU, so I don't have to be concerned about that.

Your units.csv worked fine, but I only tried it with the Steltek fighter (no cockpit, of course).