Sob, boo hoo, no voice in RF

Forum For Privateer Remake
Anscar
Hunter
Hunter

Sob, boo hoo, no voice in RF

Post by Anscar »

:cry: :cry: Hey! I'm still playing it. :lol: But I do miss old "Brownhair" voicing his witty sallies. This game has terrific voice-acting as well as good writing....especially compared to new space-sims, such as X3 and SFRU (where the voice-acting and stories are god-awful).

BTW, where did the name "Burrows" come from? I don't see any mention of it in the original Privateer manual. Back in the day he was frequently referred to as "Brownhair" to differentiate him from WC1/2's "Bluehair." "Blair" came from "Bluehair," but I don't see "Burrows" coming from "Brownhair."

Took my Paradigm out and tractored in a few Gothris. Upgraded my Centurion with all the new RF stuff (except the small cargo expansion, which just won't fit after I stick on all the other stuff...but who needs it?)
I'm wondering if a pimped-out Stiletto might prove to be superior to the Centurion. Unfortunately, I like having a cockpit.

Really love this game!
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

thought the stiletto had a nice cockpit

the character is called Greyson Burrows in the literature
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Anscar
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Anscar »

The Stiletto has a cockpit.? :o I haven't bothered to switch to it yet; I just assumed that since it wasn't an original piloted ship, it didn't have a cockpit. :oops: BTW, isn't that a Starlancer cockpit?

I'm unfamiliar with the Privateer literature; I'll have to look into that.

Seeing your post, reminds me that I haven't checked out VS status for a while. VS is installed on this pc, but I haven't updated it or played it recently. Maybe, it's time to get lost in that godawful big VS universe again. :)
Anscar
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Anscar »

Hmmmm, not only does the Stiletto have a cockpit, but, wonders never cease, so do other originally non-pilotable ships. Obviously, people have been busy. :)

The Stiletto, Gladius and Demon have what look to me like Starlancer-type cockpits, the Talon has a Galaxy cockpit, and the Dralthi has the original Dralthi cockpit from WC SM1 (or was it SM2?). Nice touch. I wonder if someone is working to transfer over the WC2 Broadsword cockpit?

Edit: I was just thumbing through my WC Armada manual and it looks like some of those cockpits might be from Armada rather than Starlancer...except I don't remember any cockpits in that game. Thought it just used a HUD. I also noted that the Salthi has a cockpit in Remake, but I can't place the WC ship it's from. Looks like it's from the original WC or SM1/2.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

I'm surprised why so many users are asking for cockpits. I usually fly w/o, especially while using an Orion, Galaxy, Tarsus or a turret.

However, the next PU will have more cockpits.
Anscar
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Anscar »

In Remake, I always use a cockpit, if available, even tho' it severely limits visibility. For me, it really adds to the game's atmosphere. By all means, add more cockpits.
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

It's just not the same without the cockpit. I would not even consider playing early WC games without it. You gotta have a cockpit. :D
Time is an Illusion..............Lunchtime doubly so!! -Ford Prefect-
Check out Privateer themed goodies!
http://www.cafepress.com/soulfulngifted/2889859
OnyxPaladin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by OnyxPaladin »

I agree with Anscar and Zool.
For every ounce of courage, every drope of hope..
A gallon of blood paid in advance...
Anscar
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Anscar »

Does anyone remember when/if the WC series did away with cockpits or added the option to toggle them on/off? First I thought Armada didn't have cockpits, but I checked the manual and they're there. Then I thought WC3 didn't have them, but once again I checked the manual and one's shown. Just don't remember if WC4 and Prophecy/SO had them or not. It's been years since I've played these games. I've got tons of unused gigs on my HD; maybe I should just reinstall all the WC games and answer my own question. :)
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

:) Don't get me wrong guys, I also see a necessity for cockpits. I just understated them a bit - so we got one more reason to get more of them in-game.
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

WC3 One could toggle the cockpit on and off. In WC4 there were no cockpits. Funny thing was in WC3 I preferred to play with the cockpit off, but would turn it on now and then. I think Prophecy was without cockpits also.

But for Privateer, no choice....there MUST be cockpits!! :shock:
Time is an Illusion..............Lunchtime doubly so!! -Ford Prefect-
Check out Privateer themed goodies!
http://www.cafepress.com/soulfulngifted/2889859
Lopaka79
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Lopaka79 »

Has anyone tried to get people to voice-over the RF stuff? Hell I'll do someones voice. Those who have accents would be awesome for the parts :)
Anscar
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Anscar »

Lopaka79 wrote:Has anyone tried to get people to voice-over the RF stuff? Hell I'll do someones voice. Those who have accents would be awesome for the parts :)
As the original CD version of "Righteous Fire" was fully voiced, I would think it would be better to just transfer that voicing to the PR version. Probably a lot easier said than done, though. :)
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Isn't there a conversion tool around? I've got the original Privateer+RF CD, so I could do this and fiddle it into an archive.
Lopaka79
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Lopaka79 »

Could help on the search for one

whats the original files called?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I googled around and found some link to a "Game Audio Player"...
ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/sound/gap132.zip
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Aah, thx ace!