how do I use tractor beam without firing guns?

Forum For Privateer Remake
Hathur
Explorer
Explorer

how do I use tractor beam without firing guns?

Post by Hathur »

My turret has a tractor beam in it, but I can't use/fire it without firing my main guns... when I switch to my turret and press the trigger, my guns fire as well as my tractor beam (thus, when i aim at cargo, it blows up due to the guns).

What key activates the tractor beam without firing guns? Is there a way to just switch the tractor beam on and the guns off? I checked the manual and it has no such key.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

In vegastrike you can use the G key to cycle weapons, not sure what the binding for this function is in PR.
Last edited by Halleck on Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hathur
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Hathur »

Yeah i've pressed G and it doesn't cycle, just brings up weapon display (I haven't altered any controls, this is a pure install, nothing altered).
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

According to the VSWiki, G is bound to "WeapSelKey", so if you look for that function in your vegastrike.config for PR, you should be able to find what key it's bound to, if any.

I checked in my old Privateer Remake install (1.0 Release Candidate) and it looks like WeapSelKey is bound to some obscure joystick switch or 8th mouse button, but I don't see a key binding for it. Not sure if this changed in more recent versions of PR, but you could add a key binding for it in your config if one doesn't exist.

Not hard to do by just copying some other binding in the XML but you have to make sure to assign it to an unused key. Here's a javascript keybinder utility that might be of help (I never tested it with PR though.)
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Yeah, it's G for scrolling through gun configurations, and W for scrolling weapons, like missiles.
I can't remember if the tractor beam is a "gun" or a "weapon", tho :roll:
I think it was a W-eapon, as it uses the Enter key to fire, or didn't it; I got a flu and a fever, and my brain isn't working, so maybe you'll have to dismiss this post. ;-)
Psyco Diver 69
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Psyco Diver 69 »

I use G to cycle through them. W will cycle through everything, missles, guns, tractor beam
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

I think that a tractor beam is a gun.

MAS
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Beam weapons are being mounted on warhead mounts, so they are being handled as weapons, not guns. So W is correct.