Can you get a Kamekh in Remake?

Forum For Privateer Remake
Anscar
Hunter
Hunter

Can you get a Kamekh in Remake?

Post by Anscar »

I mean legitimately, without hacking the game. Can it be bought "somewhere" (I've only seen Gothris and Salthis "there") or can it be captured by a Paradigm?
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Kamekhs are out in 1.2, but I read somewhere that it fits into the cargo hold of a Paradigm.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

ROTFLMAO.
Paradigms are certainly larger than Khameks, but they are destroyers, not transports. Just thought I'd mention; this needs Zool's magic touch... ;-) (unless this is already fixed in PU). Maybe we need one more parameter for cargo, to express granularity or compartmentalization. Even if there are ships big enough to fit the cubic meterage of a corvette, still, no ship that I ever heard of has a continuous expanse of cargo space to fit a whole corvette in it. Even carriers don't carry corvettes; max size ship they fit are bombers. Not that there couldn't be transports that fit the empty hulls of corvettes to carry them from a foundry to a shipyard, we might theorize; but this would definitely be a special kind of transport ship. Once assembled, corvettes transport themselves... They all have their own jumpdrives and ion engines. Not to harp on the issue of tractor beams, and their strengths...

Ehm... Why would anyone want to buy a Khamek? The cats hate them.
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

I once hacked myself one then modified it to have the flight characteristics of a Centurion and it was still crap!!!!
Time is an Illusion..............Lunchtime doubly so!! -Ford Prefect-
Check out Privateer themed goodies!
http://www.cafepress.com/soulfulngifted/2889859
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Paradigms are certainly larger than Khameks, but they are destroyers, not transports.
You misunderstood. I Know this shouldn't be possible but it is. Also, did you know that a paradigm can tractor in 2 paradigms? :lol: Repeat, a paradigm can tractor in 2 paradigms!!!
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

What! Don't tell me that or i will not be able to buy them.

Serously i still buy them in 1.2.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
OnyxPaladin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by OnyxPaladin »

Dilloh wrote:
Also, did you know that a paradigm can tractor in 2 paradigms? :lol: Repeat, a paradigm can tractor in 2 paradigms!!!
The Confeds must have captured Doctor Who.
For every ounce of courage, every drope of hope..
A gallon of blood paid in advance...
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

OT:
Damn I hate time travel as a scifi paradigm... Thanks heaven Dr Who is comedy. LOL... But no joking. What Peter Telep did to WC is pretty much turn it into fantasy, with Pilgrims having all kinds of psychic powers, and winning battles by using them. If you thought the WC movie was bad, read the sequel book, Pilgrim Stars. Doctor Who stuff is quite within sight, after the abominable desecrations Telep's done to WC... So we don't even need to fix the Paradigm bug; we can just say they require a Pilgrim handling the tractor beam... Sorry for the rant; I just finished reading the two Telep books and I hate myself for it... What a pile of garbage! Had to start re-reading Forstchen's Action Stations for the third time, to sooth my soul. Forstchen is God.
/OT

Got it, Dilloh; I did misunderstand.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

chuck-starchaser wrote:Thanks heaven Dr Who is comedy. LOL... But no joking. What Peter Telep did to WC is pretty much turn it into fantasy, with Pilgrims having all kinds of psychic powers, and winning battles by using them.
Oh please. Don't let us go the same way.

A friend of mine who is eight has the WC Movie. We were talking about it and i have decided i need to see it.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Well, everyone working on WC-realted games should get an education on WC, including seeing the movie, and reading the stupid books by Peter Telep. It's a necessity. But I'm certainly not going to blindly accept what LOAF and the CIC endorse as sacred canon; --LOL, I'd be playing WC Arena like an idiot if I listened to that bunch. No, I've certainly got opinions of my own, and one of them is that science fiction and magic don't mix and don't belong together; they are mutually exclusive disciplines. That's the essence of the barbarity of Doom and its sequels by ID soft: You got a game full of magic spells and stuff like Diablo and that's fine; and you got a sci-fi game like Mech Warrior and that's fine too; but in Doom and Quake you get a mixture, and that crosses a line for me that would be totally unacceptable except for the fact that those games are so obviously intended to be such mindless crap as to be funny. But the WC series of games was never intended to be complete mindless crap; the games were crappy from a science fiction perspective because of technical limitations at the time, and because nobody at Origin apparently had a scientific clue. But then came William R. Forstchen, who, through 6 very good books, did his best to retcon WC into some semblance of science fiction; like his attempt to explain WC ships having maximum speeds in space due to their deploying invisible scoops that extend for kilometers in front of a ship to collect hydrogen from space to use as fuel. Not a very believable explanation, at all, but at least he tried. But then, all that hard work that Forstchen put into his 6 novels, Peter Telep undid it all in just two: Psychic powers... Give me a break! Not to speak of having James Taggart defecting to the Pilgrim side at the end of Pilgrim Stars... What a stupid moron! But those are just the most salient pieces of crap. Those two books are really full of crap of lesser aromatic magnitude. In both books there is a setting, at some point, about people looking at holographic models of confed space (instead of maps) and "seeing planets rotate in real time". I guess the idiot couldn't picture in his mind the fact that if you saw a planet rotate in real time you wouldn't see it rotate; period --unless you watched it patiently for several hours... Or that given the distances between stars, a scaled model couldn't show planets --they'd be smaller than a virus. But even if we forgave Telep for his scientific cluelessness and incompetence, his lack of basic imagination is still indictable: Like Tolwyn and this other officer --not native of Earth-- having a philosophical discussion as to the worth of Earth to the Confederation at a time of crisis. A good writer like Forstchen would have correctly framed that friction as an unspoken tension between the two. High officials in the Terran Confedaration Navy would have discussed such scenarios many times before, one would assume, and know each other's positions well. When the crisis comes, they might avoid each other's eyes, and I can imagine Forstchen would have described it as a moment of unspoken tension, and then have the characters recall, in thoughts, their prior discussions... But Telep is such an impossibly boring writer as to have those two start verbally arguing about it right then and there. Total lack of subtlety, of imagination. So I personally reject Peter Telep's works, as well as the WC movie, from what I accept as "valid WC canon". They are badly written/produced, they are insults to science fiction in general, and insults to WC in particular. Yes, it's true that, technically, whoever owns the franchise, have a legal right to dictate what's legally part of canon or not; but that doesn't make it "valid canon" to me, or to many other honest and intelligent WC fans, hopefully.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

What Peter Telep did to WC is pretty much turn it into fantasy, with Pilgrims having all kinds of psychic powers, and winning battles by using them.
I must admit I have to concurr this time. Though I believe in the chance to achieve major powers during evolution, 200 or 300 years just ain't enough to have any other change to mankind than loosing additional hair.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Damn! You had to mention hair... Yes, I'm evolving... :D
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

It's actually a bit worse than that, IMO; I don't think the human race will survive the coming environmental crisis. Maybe in another 60 million years and change life will recover to the point of spawning something like humans, for another chance. But 100 years from now not a single human or even any mammals will be around. Heck, I doubt anything too different from anaerobic bacteria will be around.

[quote]What was the murder weapon for our planet’s biggest die-off? The Permian-Triassic extinction is the ultimate cold case, transpiring 250 million years ago. But some scientific sleuths have sketched out a scenario worthy of the trickiest mystery novel - involving a chain of volcanic eruptions, greenhouse-gas emissions, oxygen-deficient oceans, sulfur-loving bacteria and poisonous hydrogen sulfide, the compound that smells like rotten eggs. There are even those who would throw in an asteroid for good measure. The rotten-extinction theory gets a prime-time airing tonight on PBS’ “Nova ScienceNow.â€
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Scientific American wrote:But the most critical factor seems to have been the oceans. Heating makes it harder for water to absorb oxygen from the atmosphere; thus, if ancient volcanism raised CO2 and lowered the amount of oxygen in the atmosphere, and global warming made it more difficult for the remaining oxygen to penetrate the oceans, conditions would have become amenable for the deep-sea anaerobic bacteria to generate massive upwellings of H2S. Oxygen-breathing ocean life would have been hit first and hardest, whereas the photosynthetic green and purple H2S-consuming bacteria would have been able to thrive at the surface of the anoxic ocean. As the H2S gas choked creatures on land and eroded the planet's [UV] protective shield, virtually no form of life on the earth was safe.

Kump's hypothesis of planetary killing provides a link between marine and terrestrial extinctions at the end of the Permian and explains how volcanism and increased CO2 could have triggered both. It also resolves strange findings of sulfur at all end Permian sites. A poisoned ocean and atmosphere would account for the very slow recovery of life after that mass extinction as well.

Finally, this proposed sequence of events pertains not only to the end of the Permian. A minor extinction at the end of the Paleocene epoch 54 million years ago was already--presciently--attributed to an interval of oceanic anoxia somehow triggered by short-term global warming. Biomarkers and geologic evidence of anoxic oceans suggest that is also what may have occurred at the end Triassic, middle Cretaceous and late Devonian, making such extreme greenhouse-effect extinctions possibly a recurring phenomenon in the earth's history.

Most troubling, however, is the question of whether our species has anything to fear from this mechanism in the future: If it happened before, could it happen again? Although estimates of the rates at which carbon dioxide entered the atmosphere during each of the ancient extinctions are still uncertain, the ultimate levels at which the mass deaths took place are known. The so-called thermal extinction at the end of the Paleocene began when atmospheric CO2 was just under 1,000 parts per million (ppm). At the end of the Triassic, CO2 was just above 1,000 ppm. Today with CO2 around 385 ppm, it seems we are still safe. But with atmospheric carbon climbing at an annual rate of 2 ppm and expected to accelerate to 3 ppm, levels could approach 900 ppm by the end of the next century, and conditions that bring about the beginnings of ocean anoxia may be in place. How soon after that could there be a new greenhouse extinction? That is something our society should never find out.
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articl ... =5&catID=2
Anscar
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Anscar »

Took my Paradigm looking for a Kamekh yesterday....but couldn't find one (did find and capture 4 Gothris and 13 Dralthis). In the original game, one usually showed up in Sumn Kp'ta. Is this still the case?

Gamma's another possibility, but I'd hate to have to drive the Paradigm all the way out there. Meteor fields are a bitch for the Paradigm.
Anscar
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Anscar »

Can the Kamekh at NAV 2 in Gamma be captured...or is it a permanent non-moving part of the landscape there?

My Paradigm was pretty chewed up by the time I got to it and I couldn't seem to get it into the cargo compartment before my ship popped.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Ultimatively, everything except of Jump Points can be captured, it is just a matter of available cargo space. Note that

a) if your ship had internal damaged, it is possible that its cargo space was temporarily reduced

b) some special objectives have an enlarged mass to ensure that the player can't capture them and handle them like ordinary stuff
Anscar
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Anscar »

Dilloh wrote:Ultimatively, everything except of Jump Points can be captured, it is just a matter of available cargo space. Note that

a) if your ship had internal damaged, it is possible that its cargo space was temporarily reduced

b) some special objectives have an enlarged mass to ensure that the player can't capture them and handle them like ordinary stuff
I've seen this particular Kamekh twice. The first time when I did Taryn Cross' 3rd mission (one of the objectives of that mission is to scan Gamma NAV 2 and the Kamekh is sitting smack on it) and the second when I tried to capture it with the Paradigm. Both times it's just sitting at Gamma NAV 2. Useful to know that damage can affect cargo space. I had almost no armor left by the time I reached the Kamekh (damned meteor fields!). I'll give it another try today.

EDIT: Gave it another try, but got "blowed up" just after jumping into Gamma. I'm going to have to locate another Kamekh, the one is Gamma is just too hard to get to in the Paradigm. Even if I captured it, I'd never get back to Rygannon with it. I now understand why I never see Paradigms in systems with meteor fields around their jump-points. :wink: