Gemini + Remake?

Forum For Privateer Remake
Jeff2121
Hunter
Hunter

Gemini + Remake?

Post by Jeff2121 »

Is it possible, in any way or form, to have BOTH Gemini Gold and Remake?
My Dream Machine (Soon to Be):

Kingston 4GB DDR2 RAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Quad Core
Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX
320GB SATA HDD (Raid 0)
SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty
John Cordell
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by John Cordell »

Not yet,
but you will see many things you love from Gemini Gold in future Privateer Remake releases.
Privateer Gemini Gold
privateer.sourceforge.net
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

There's no reason they can't be installed in different directories. That's a waste of duplicated space, and hopefully that will change with time but for now should work just fine.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

Hmmm, this question was asked a few weeks ago.

Yeah, you can, but what's the purpose?

Oh, the real reason i posted was to say hi to Mamiya. I have not seen him for AGES. Welcome back.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
Jeff2121
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Jeff2121 »

Well, I was under the impression that Gemini and Remake are two different things, where as Gemini has better graphics and Remake is just like the original :?
My Dream Machine (Soon to Be):

Kingston 4GB DDR2 RAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Quad Core
Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX
320GB SATA HDD (Raid 0)
SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty
Solon Halwinder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Solon Halwinder »

Other way around, I think.
Last edited by Solon Halwinder on Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ever tried to count hyperactive schoolchildren while someone shouts random numbers in your ear? It's like that."
--Geetra, frustrated mage (Magic: The Gathering)
Solon Halwinder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Solon Halwinder »

(sorry, double post)
"Ever tried to count hyperactive schoolchildren while someone shouts random numbers in your ear? It's like that."
--Geetra, frustrated mage (Magic: The Gathering)
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Solon Halwinder wrote:Other way around, I think.
Not really, come to think of it; I think Jeff has a point :D :D :D
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

It is a bit confusing. GG was separated from PR so it could be tweaked to be as close to the original as possible. It runs at a lower resolution, the turrets are manually operated only, lower res (original) explosion sprites are used, no extra ships etc.

PR isn't limited in resolution, has auto turrets and we make a few extra ships available if one can find them. The last release was a while ago, and some of the base graphics are a bit dated.

The names really ought to be swapped. That had been the plan: I felt like doing (and was doing) things that didn't make the project a strict "remake" so I was considering renaming the project "Gemini", but John decided to fork and coincidentally chose a very similar name himself without consulting anyone, so here we are.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

Argh, MORE. But it's interesting. All this should not have happened.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

I have both installed on my machine, no problem, both in separate dir's.

I was actually tossing around the idea of combining the two versions into a hybrid with the best features of both, for my own private use of course, but it would be a lot of work and it's only an idea for now....lol
Time is an Illusion..............Lunchtime doubly so!! -Ford Prefect-
Check out Privateer themed goodies!
http://www.cafepress.com/soulfulngifted/2889859
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

The best solution would be to have one version where you can select what features you want or don't want in the launcher.
Mav23
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Mav23 »

That would be pretty awesome. But I think it would take a level of cooperation between the two teams that they're not quite ready for at this point.

Unless by "private", Zool meant himself and anyone else who he liked enough to send it to. :wink:
I'm drinking the water, you should too...
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

This is the PR forum, not the PU forum, Mav23. PR is Mamiya Otaru's mod, and we shouldn't put words in his mouth about whether he wants to cooperate with GG or not. We don't know that, and it's none of our business to second guess his intentions, let alone abilities in that regard. All I said, at the PU forum, was that "I" am not prepared to share any of my work with a party that does such underhanded things as using these boards for PM-ing PU artists and contributors to try and lure them to swich mods to their side; and who explicitly discourage their contributors from sharing anything with PU in the first place. Hey, if a friend of mine asks me for 20 bucks or 100 bucks or 500 bucks, and even a few G's sometimes, I've been there for them. But some bastard first tries to steal my wallet and then asks for a fraction of a penny from me? No way in Hell. But I wasn't speaking for PU, or even as official PU developer or contributor, --since I'm not even sure a ship and a half qualifies me as such--; and I was definitely not speaking on behalf of PR or MO. Just for myself. Not to say I'm the only one around these pastures that feels the way I do, necessarily... But how Mamiya feels or thinks about the situation with GG I don't know. And it's his prerogative; not mine, not yours, nor hurleybird's. And the same would apply with regards to Spiritplumber if we were discussing this at the WCU forum.

(Now, me wonders, why can't people install Gimp and learn how to texture, instead of offering brilliant, spectacular, grandiose ideas all the time? Alliances, mergers, buyouts, the founding of "The Great World Fraternity of United VS Mods Good or Evil"... How about doing something?)
Mav23
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Mav23 »

I wasn't actually referring to anything that happened between you and any GGers, Chuck. I just meant in general, I haven't gotten the sense that the two teams would be up for that sort of cooperation. Of course I can't speak for them, but that's the feeling I get from what I've read around here.

And now that I know I can't run either game on my system, I guess it doesn't really affect me either way, now. :P
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

What I was trying to say, Mav, is... Let me put it to you as a question: Which two teams? Mamiya doesn't have a "team" that I know of. Spiritplumber doesn't have a team either; --unless you consider me a "team player"... :D

The only "team" I can think of is PU, and I think that's the team you're talking about, and if so I feel your assessment of the situation is accurate; but this is not PU's forum; and, morover, your post sounded like it included PR, and came about during discussions of PR.
Now, if you intended to include PR in your statement, I'm afraid you have exactly 50% chances of being right or wrong. NOBODY knows what's on Mamiya's mind; he's a man of action more than words. ;-)

Doesn't Vista have something along the lines of "XP compatibility mode"?
That's great; now I have an actual justification for my solemn vow to NEVER migrate to Vista :)
Last edited by chuck_starchaser on Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mav23
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Mav23 »

Ah, point taken my friend. Point taken.

Yeah, Vista does have a compatibility mode, the same as XP, but I totally neglected to try it in a spat of stupidity, as you've just reminded me that I could have used it! I'll have to re-download tonight when I get home and give it a shot. I'll also have to go back and use it on Privateer 2, as the game is crashing every time I configure my joystick!

Any suggestions as to what "compatibility" mode I should set, XP? Windows 98? 95?
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

For Priv 2 I would say 95 compatibility. Priv 2 was one of the buggiest games I ever played. It crashed quite often in the native system it was for. I barely managed to play it through the end. Some of the missions I had to play like 10 times over, due to the crashes. So, expect problems.
Wait! Privateer 2 wasn't even 95-native; it was a DOS game, which barely ran in in win95, IIRC. Perhaps DosBox would be the right thing.
Good game though. Worth the effort. Some things about it were bad, but it had a nice plot and awsome art. And like Privateer, it was very immersive and atmospheric. Different kind of atmosphere, but a nice atmosphere anyhow. And I agree with everyone who says it's disconnected from the rest of WC, but it's set like a century later, and it's not hard to imagine there'd be a disconnected group of systems: According to Action stations, the official map of the Terran Confederation is but a small fraction of the actual number of systems explored and settled by independents; as the Confed government can't cope or keep up with the rate of expansion. So within WC canon there's plenty of room for a triad of systems to have become isolated from the rest.