Universe.xml system creation

Forum For Privateer Remake
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Universe.xml system creation

Post by z30 »

Hello Mamiya, Esgaroth (one of the main devs in the VS StarTrek forum) kindly packaged their Kclass mining ship for PU use and was asking help from me on this particular question :

=======
actually, I have some questions with the systems. We have made new textures and new planetary classes according to star trek (a_class, b_class etc) and changed the universe.xml file (milkyway.xml i think in vs proper) accordingly. Generally, this works and autogenerated systems are fine, however, sometimes autogenerated systems still use the old planet designations (forrest planets, gas midgets, etc.). Any idea why ?

=======

I'm very interested in the answer myself since it is possible that we may introduce some new stuff for planetary systems in PU.
Privateer Parallel Universe

http://pu.wcjunction.com
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

You will want to look at the top of that XML file.

You should see a big section with <planets> around it.

Inside the <planets> tag, you will see a bunch of <planet> tags, one for each planet.

Those tags should have all the data you need. The initial tag is the value for the "planets" variable in each system... for example, Ahbptbzz in vegastrike has a planets value of "gd gd *r bsm".
This means that it will have two of the planet with initial "gd" (Dwarf Gas Giant), one with a "*r" (Rocky), the * being for moon, and a "bsm" (Bio Simple Methane).

The idea is basically that you define the texture and texture_max. texture is the root of the texture, and texture_max is the number of those textures that exist (m_class1, m_class2, ...)
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

ace123 wrote:You will want to look at the top of that XML file.

Inside the <planets> tag, you will see a bunch of <planet> tags, one for each planet.

Those tags should have all the data you need.
Ace, thanks a lot. I'll forward this to Esgaroth asap, this will help them bring their mod to the same usable level as PR is now sooner.
Privateer Parallel Universe

http://pu.wcjunction.com
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Hi Ace,
first, thanx for trying to answer my question. I fear i have to explain it a bit more because its more difficult than that. Hope you dont mind.
You will want to look at the top of that XML file.

Those tags should have all the data you need. The initial tag is the value for the "planets" variable in each system... for example, Ahbptbzz in vegastrike has a planets value of "gd gd *r bsm".
This means that it will have two of the planet with initial "gd" (Dwarf Gas Giant), one with a "*r" (Rocky), the * being for moon, and a "bsm" (Bio Simple Methane).

The idea is basically that you define the texture and texture_max. texture is the root of the texture, and texture_max is the number of those textures that exist (m_class1, m_class2, ...)
This is pretty clear. What we have done is to change the planet classes according to star trek, that is we dont have molten but a_class, b_ class etc. Here is a small part of this part of our milky way file:
<planet name="A_class">
<var name="texture" value="planets/a_class"/>
<var name="texture_max" value="0"/>
<var name="initial" value="a"/>
<var name="lights" value="Dirt_light.png Dirt_light_repeat.pngwrapx64wrapy64"/>
</planet>

<planet name="B_class">
<var name="texture" value="planets/b_class"/>
<var name="texture_max" value="1"/>
<var name="initial" value="b"/>
We then changed the planet type variables (from mol-> a etc.) of the systems, here an example:
<system name="Wolf_359">
<var name="faction" value="Federation"/>
<var name="color" value="2"/>
<var name="xyz" value="-1 -3 0.047583"/>
<var name="spectrum" value=" M6"/>
<var name="magnitude" value="13.45"/>
<var name="radius" value="150000"/>
<var name="planets" value="a f g m *d s *f *d *y i *p d z r"/>
<var name="absolute_magnitude" value="16.5574"/>
<var name="jumps" value="Beta/Sol Beta/Axanar Beta/Zavijava"/>
</system>
So, generally, this works, so when i visit wolf_359, then the engine creates the system accordingly, with an a_class planet first, then a f class, then a g_class etc. However, in some systems you still get planets without texture and designation, for example see this part of an autogenerated systems file:

<Planet name="Waupaca" file="planets/f_class1.png" ri="-163545.781250" rj="14430.993164" rk="-142293.921875" si="19518.144531" sj="-167871.437500" sk="-39458.199219" radius="7801.270508" x="210564.000000" y="-103063.500000" z="88844.656250" year= "429596.783624" day="19.937346" >
</Planet>
<Planet name="Tiber" file="planets/d_class.png" ri="-77653.835938" rj="37352.937500" rk="-55930.820313" si="-49293.882813" sj="-64679.414063" sk="25243.560547" radius="5705.627930" x="177824.765625" y="109706.343750" z="139144.546875" year= "321336.211871" day="434.430300" >
</Planet>
<Planet name="Navajo" file="white.png" ri="9375.944336" rj="-11589.787109" rk="103782.351563" si="-47533.718750" sj="105718.742188" sk="16100.341797" radius="7639.220215" x="62222.078125" y="91491.476563" z="45514.296875" year= "3261976.339139" day="815.877926" >
</Planet>
I just recognize that in the 3 examples i have here it happens only for y_class planets (variable: y). Can this be the reason ?

So, basically, why are some planets only with the White texture and most of the rest arent ?

Hope someone can help.
Best wishes,
Esgaroth
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

This question might be dumb, but did you alter your planet types within units.csv?
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

This question might be dumb, but did you alter your planet types within units.csv?
Hi Dilloh,
definitely no dumb question.
Our units.csv doesnt contain the planet types at all. We have only missions at the moment, no working living universe etc. I am just building some kind of explore universe mission with some systems to visit. However, this may be a point. Where would this be a problem ?
Just tested around a bit. Exchanged y by YY and at the moment it seems to work (testing not finished completely, but 2 systems worked with y class planets). It it works, i could live with it. Nevertheless, strange.
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Half a night of testing and the renaming of the variable y by hand seems to work- maybe an overlooked typo that caused the problem (i am editing the xml files with a text editor).
Another question (i can be nasty-i know :-) ):
although i added the atmosphere tag ( <var name="atmosphere" value="true"/>),
autogenerated m_class planets get neither atmosphere nor cloud layers.
The cloud layer texture is present. What else do i need that the engine creates atmosphere and cloud layer ? A file that tells the engine where to find said texture, or what ?
Best wishes,
Alex[/quote]
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

esgaroth wrote:Where would this be a problem ?
Not too sure, I never experimented with autogenerated universes, but units.csv for PR contains all planet types, like e.g. pleasure bases. Maybe the auto-universe needs those entries to validate a planet type.
esgaroth wrote:What else do i need that the engine creates atmosphere and cloud layer ? A file that tells the engine where to find said texture, or what ?
Also not sure, but I'd guess you need a .system file for that.
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Also not sure, but I'd guess you need a .system file for that.
Well, the engine auto-creates this .system file with the information from the milky_way.xml.... but without any atmosphere and cloud layers on the planets although in the milky_way.xml the atmosphere tag (<var name="atmosphere" value="true"/>) is enabled.

And thats what i`d like to change...
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Ah, I see. Well, I'd suggest to let the xml generate all systems for one time, then change them manually if this is not too much work. E.g. change

Code: Select all

<Planet name="Navajo" file="white.png" etc.></Planet>
to

<Planet name="Navajo" file="white.png" etc.>
<Atmosphere file="correctdirectory/clouds.png" alpha="SRCALPHA INVSRCALPHA" radius="YourPlanetsRadius + 11"/>
</Planet>
to have an atmosphere.

This'll lead to the systems being the same all the time, but I guess this is what you want to reproduce a canonical Star Trek universe.
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Well, tayloring by hand is what we do for the more important systems, like Vulcan, Andor etc. but nevertheless i thought autogeneration should work. Well, we will see....
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

One more thing, note you need to set up the atmosphere within the xml. An agriculatural base setting from PR with atmosphere:
- <planet name="Agricultural">
<var name="texture" value="planets/agricultural" />
<var name="initial" value="bd" />
<var name="atmosphere" value="true" />
The last line is important. But it's just a guess, you most likely thought of that for m classes.

Consider posting you universe.xml for testing?
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Yes, the atmosphere tag is present. Well, if someone wants to have a look at it, you can download it here:
http://hometown.aol.de/atreuter/stuniverse.xml
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Not sure if this was a problem, but I found something (else):
- <system name="Izar">
<var name="faction" value="Federation" />
<var name="color" value="1.58" />
<var name="xyz" value="-0.352941 11.0588 -0.02387" />
<var name="spectrum" value="" />
"/>
<var name="magnitude" value="14.16" />
<var name="radius" value="16600" />
<var name="planets" value="a a *r *r s t" />
<var name="absolute_magnitude" value="13.122" />
<var name="jumps" value="Alpha/Paan_Mokar Beta/Alphax Alpha/Tellar Alpha/Andor" />
Note the bold, lonely tag - not sure how this affects the rest of the tags below, but it doesn't look healthy either.
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Thanx. I have removed it-no difference concerning atmospheres,though.
Well, I add the planets to the units.csv and lets see what then happens. I guess something else is missing, although the AtmXAtm.bfxm is there- if anyone has an additional idea I am always grateful to hear.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

esgaroth wrote:Thanx. I have removed it-no difference concerning atmospheres,though.
Well, I add the planets to the units.csv and lets see what then happens. I guess something else is missing, although the AtmXAtm.bfxm is there- if anyone has an additional idea I am always grateful to hear.
Not sure if this will help but here is atlantis from the cephid 17 system (sectors/Crucible/Cephid_17.system) in vegastrike which has a working atmosphere.

<Planet name="Atlantis" file="planets/oceanBase.png|planets/ocean.png" ri="120000000" rj="-8436.0" rk="-110000000" si="-120000000.000000" sj="-150000.000000" sk="110000000.000000" radius="5000.00312500" x="120000000" y="-10000" z="-110000000" year= "8000000000" day="80000"  >
        <Atmosphere file="sol2/earthcloudmaptrans.png" alpha="SRCALPHA INVSRCALPHA" radius="5020.00481875"/>
        <Fog>
                <FogElement file="atmXhalo.xmesh" ScaleAtmosphereHeight="1.0"  red="0.900000" blue="0.900000" green="1.000000" alpha="1.000000" dired="0.900000" diblue="0.900000" digreen="1.000000" dialpha="1.000000" concavity="1" focus=".6" minalpha="0" maxalpha="0.7"/>
        </Fog>
... (Moons) ...

</Planet>
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Thanx, but manually this is no problem. Just had the idea that the engine should autogenerate planets with <var name="atmosphere" value="true" /> with an atmosphere and cloud layer..... but maybe we will manually adjust all systems so that they look better.
Other question. When I am landing at a planet (lets say c_class) i dont get a picture of the landing place etc. Which files do i have to adjust to get it ? And how ? is there somewhere a tutorial ? Same thing for our bases.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Working on that...
Basically it looks for the planet class in /bases/{planetclass}.py.
It looks for /bases/{planetclass}_{timeofday}.py first. And possibly factional variants as well.
Make sure you have a default planet that can be read, it should work if it's just called planet.py.

Let me know if you need more specific help with bases. I'm working on them right now in VS and am planning on writing them up in the wiki when I'm done, but I can start early with what I know about writing them if it will help.
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Hi Halleck,
yepp, i guess i need a bit more help. I just took n_class.py from vegastrike and imported it into the /bases folder because n_class existed in the old vegastrike as well as in vegatrek. I also put aera.lib into the same directory and imported the respective sprites in sprites/bases.
However, i get only the message: error-no rooms specified.
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

even if i import the whole vegastrike sprite folder and the whole bases folder and then dock to a m_class planet (or K_class, n_class or j_class which all exist) i only get error: no rooms specified
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

I often had trouble with NO_ROOM_ERRORs, I recently found out that this can happen when you've hacked your savegame, even if the rest runs fine - first of all try to run a new game and see if it happens again.

For the bases, you need:
/sprites/bases/NameOfYourBase/LandingPad.png /sprites/bases/NameOfYourBase/LandingPad.spr
/sprites/bases/NameOfYourBase/concourse.png
/sprites/bases/NameOfYourBase/concourse.spr
etc.

An entry in units.csv, leading to the folder "NameOfYourBase"

And what Halleck said.

A NRE is assumably an error in the python function - post your py and stderr.txt if you need some help with it, I did some bases with ace123s help and might find the problem.
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I often had trouble with NO_ROOM_ERRORs, I recently found out that this can happen when you've hacked your savegame, even if the rest runs fine - first of all try to run a new game and see if it happens again.

For the bases, you need:
/sprites/bases/NameOfYourBase/LandingPad.png /sprites/bases/NameOfYourBase/LandingPad.spr
/sprites/bases/NameOfYourBase/concourse.png
/sprites/bases/NameOfYourBase/concourse.spr
etc.

An entry in units.csv, leading to the folder "NameOfYourBase"

And what Halleck said.
Well, we have only missions, no working living universe etc. yet. Therefore i have to start from one of those missions.
As for this being a python problem, i guess you are right, although i dont have the slightest idea about python (for me as a molecular biologist a python is a snake....).
I have been copying the complete sprite folder and base folder from vegastrike to vegatrek and now have been landing on a n_class planet.
The stderr :
GOT SUBDIR ARG =
Found data in ..
Using C:\Program Files\vegatrek\Incoming as data directory
USING HOMEDIR : C:\Program Files\vegatrek\Incoming/.vegatrek As the home directory
CONFIGFILE - No config found in home : C:\Program Files\vegatrek\Incoming/.vegatrek/vegastrike.config
CONFIGFILE - No home config file found, using datadir config file : C:\Program Files\vegatrek\Incoming/vegastrike.config
'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
running import sys
print sys.path
sys.path = [r"C:\Program Files\vegatrek\Incoming/modules/builtin/",r"C:\Program Files\vegatrek\Incoming/modules/",r"C:\Program Files\vegatrek\Incoming/bases/"]
testing VS randomrunning import sys
print sys.path
OpenGL Extensions supported: GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_cull_vertex GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture3D GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1 GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_WIN_swap_hint
OpenGL::GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array supported
OpenGL::Accurate Fog Distance unsupported
OpenGL::Generic Texture Compression supported
OpenGL::S3TC Texture Compression supported
OpenGL::Multitexture supported (8 units)
OpenGL::TextureCubeMapExt supported
OpenGL::S3TC Texture Clamp-to-Edge unsupported
OpenGL::S3TC Texture Clamp-to-Border supported
OpenGL::EXTColorTable unsupported

logos/fedPri.png, not found

logos/fedSec.png, not found

logos/kliSec.png, not found

logos/kliPri.png, not found

logos/romSec.png, not found

logos/romPri.png, not found

logos/domSec.png, not found

logos/domPri.png, not found

logos/carSec.png, not found

logos/carPri.png, not found

logos/piratesSec.png, not found

logos/piratesPri.png, not found

logos/confedPri.png, not found
star 1, natural 0, bases 1star 1, natural 0, bases 0Assertion failed unit_generic.cpp:711 Unit white_star not found
Warning: Cannot locate white_star

neutral_atmXatm.bfxm1.png, not found

neutral_atmXhalo.bfxm2.png, not found
error in csv, line 26: move along has no keyerror in csv, line 27: move along has no keyerror in csv, line 28: move along has no key
shield.bmp, not found
Assertion failed unit_generic.cpp:711 Unit wormhole.stable not found
Warning: Cannot locate wormhole.stable
Assertion failed unit_generic.cpp:711 Unit wormhole.neutral.stable not found
Warning: Cannot locate wormhole.neutral.stable
Assertion failed unit_generic.cpp:711 Unit jump not found
Warning: Cannot locate jump
Min (0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) Max(0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) MinLumin 1.000000, MaxLumin 1.000000Read In Star Count 0 used: 2000
Min (0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) Max(0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) MinLumin 1.000000, MaxLumin 1.000000Read In Star Count 0 used: 45
Loading a starsystem
Loading Star System Test/Devron
Next To: Test/Alpha_Eridani
Next To: Test/Cheron
Next To: Test/Bolarus
Next To: Test/Moropa
Next To: Test/Cruses
Federation_defiantb_glow.png, not found

Federation_defiantb_s.png, not found

Federation_defiantb_g.png, not found

Federation_defianta_glow.png, not found

Federation_defianta_s.png, not found

Federation_defianta_g.png, not found

Cardassian_galor1.jpg, not found

Cardassian_galor1_PPL.jpg, not found

Cardassian_galor4.jpg, not found

Cardassian_galor4_PPL.jpg, not found

Cardassian_galor3.jpg, not found

Cardassian_galor3_PPL.jpg, not found

Cardassian_galor2.jpg, not found

Cardassian_galor2_PPL.jpg, not found

Cardassian_galor1_glow.jpg, not found

Cardassian_galor4_glow.jpg, not found

Cardassian_galor3_glow.jpg, not found

Cardassian_galor2_glow.jpg, not found
Assertion failed unit_generic.cpp:711 Unit contraband not found
Warning: Cannot locate contraband
Cannot Write out unit file Defiant Defiant that has no filename
Error no songs in playlist 0
Error no songs in playlist 0

Federation_glow.png, not found
Cannot Open Mesh File quantum_accessory.bfxm
Error no songs in playlist 3
dot 0.638099Traceback (most recent call last):
File "n_classdayFederation.py", line 3, in ?
File "C:\Program Files\vegatrek\Incoming/bases/aera_lib.py", line 2, in ?
import bar_lib
File "C:\Program Files\vegatrek\Incoming/bases/bar_lib.py", line 3, in ?
import fixers
File "C:\Program Files\vegatrek\Incoming/bases/fixers.py", line 1, in ?
import quest
ImportError: No module named quest
dot 0.638099ERROR: there are no rooms in basefile "n_classday.py" ...
Asking to undock
Cannot Write out unit file Defiant Defiant that has no filename
hope that helps,
Alex
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

File "C:\Program Files\vegatrek\Incoming/bases/fixers.py", line 1, in ?
import quest
ImportError: No module named quest 
That would be your problem.
You don't have the quest.py and the files it needs in your modules directory. If you don't want quests or fixers, you can remove the fixer calls from the bar_lib.

Generally, the "No rooms" error means that you either have a python error in the base files, or you are missing a file or entry somewhere on the way.

I'll change this error to something more understandable in the source code. "No rooms" is confusing.
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Thanx to all for helping me !
After removing calls for fixers, quest and dynamic universe and removing weapons room and bar, i got a basic script that finally seems to work.
This will be of great help for us.
One last question.
Is it possible to change the landing pad pic according to the faction that controls the planet ?

Again, thanx for the help !
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

I believe so, it should be based on the name of the python base script. I think Privateer Remake does this so have a look there. (ex: m_class_forsaken.py)