HowTo compile PiArmada on Linux?

Strategic Mod for Vega Strike with tactical and combat view. Currently set in WC universe, but moddable.

Moderator: Omega

legine
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

HowTo compile PiArmada on Linux?

Post by legine »

Hmm, lets try it in an own Toppic :D

I have the sources what do I need to do to get the game up and running.

Or asked differently What do I need to do to get the game in Windows running if I do only have the sources? I transfer then to linux.
So any Ideas?
(the source is 1.8 MB big. I think I need Vegastrike but I am unsure how to add.)

Were can I look for hints?

cheers
Peter
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Are there no READMEs in the source?

Try the standard ./configure && make to see if that gets you anywhere.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
legine
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by legine »

I may missed them but when I looked I just found a lot lot of python files.

I'll Check again...

Nope "the Sorce" Consists of a Directory named trunk, in that directory there are a lot of Python files.

No Docs whatsoever :D

Did I get the wrong sources?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Python doesn't need compling.
I never took a look at PiArmada's source, but I think you do need vegastrike (that it isn't there in the trunk seems to confirm it), and you somehow merge them and execute the proper python module.

There are python compilers somewhere, that produce an executable that doesn't need python itself, but it's not really necessary (no improvement whatsoever, FWIK).
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
legine
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by legine »

Agreed on compiling.

Hmm, okey and how do I merge Vegastrike and PiArmada?
And which version of Vegastrike. Do I need the latest one or can I use my installed 4.1 or 4.0 (I am unsure which one I have actually installed.)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

legine have you tried copying the windoz stucture to your linux install as for where to place the VS binaries the bin folder of course.Omega said in his post that all his code is in the strategic folder i've noticed that he uses several Python modules that VS does not as well luck with your port.

Enjoy the Choice :)
legine
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by legine »

Sorry cant follow you.

Are you trying to say the stuff needs to go into the strategic folder?

No I havent tried anything yet. I hoped I get a clear answer first.
Well I will see what version I have and how it looks there.

Cheers
Legine
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

He says you should try to copy the windows datatree, but place a linux VS executable in the bin folder. It should work.

If you want to replace the source in the released datatree, you could find the corresponding files and just replace them. Much easier than figuring out where to put them in a scratch VS install.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Omega
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Omega »

Unfortunately, my access to Linux is minimal, and it's been a long time since anyone talked to me about running it there. Last I knew, the strategic mode ran fine. Unfortunately, my knowledge of Vega Strike is pretty surface-level, and I know nothing about how it works in Linux.

As for running PiArmada from the source code, you'll need at least Python 2.4, pygame, and psyco. You may need to modify the code that calls the VS binary when combat occurs. There's also code in there specifically for minimizing and restoring the strategic game when VS is called and terminates, and that code uses PyWin32. You'll need to replace that with the Linux equivalent, whatever it may be. That's all I can think that would need to be done, off the top of my head, but like I say, I've never personally attempted this. I hope you get it working! Please take notes, and let me know how it goes. I'd love to make it easier for future users. If you have any more specific questions about the code, please ask.
legine
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by legine »

Omega, thats no Prblem. I cant expect you to run Linux. (It is worth a try thought. ;) )

I will note everything i know and change. I will see to it that the changes I make will have good chances to run on Windows too. (So if I have to kick the win32 thingy I will replace it with something that runs on both...)

Thought I have some problems.
1) I tried to run the biaries 0.9 binaries on Windows. Which just does not switch into battle. Gauntlet mode is not working either.
So whats wrong?

2)can you put on the latest Version as source? I only got 0.7. or send it to me. Well you can easily mail me if you send a mail to my nick at gmx dot net.

3)Can you tell me what version of Vegastrike you did your work? Because it does not seem to be hmm compatible to my Version of Vegastrike. I have 4.3.0 installed. (Or do I need the Wingcommander mod?)

4) you think Psyco 1.4 is oki?
5) Is 1.6.2 of pygame okey?
6)
There's also code in there specifically for minimizing and restoring the strategic game when VS is called and terminates, and that code uses PyWin32.
So Piarmada parts and Vegastrike are independent pieces that talk over this ominous Pywin32 Part?

Cant promise much I am pretty busy on a lot of things and I promised a lot more to do (and I do paln this to keep my Promise some day :D )
But I try to enhance things.
Omega
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Omega »

So Piarmada parts and Vegastrike are independent pieces that talk over this ominous Pywin32 Part?
No, Pywin32 just minimizes PiArmada when VS is called, then restores it when VS terminates. The actual code calling the VS executable is standard Python. Though the path to the binary may have to change to work in Linux.

Gauntlet mode isn't implemented yet, just a placeholder on the menu. Someone is theoretically working on it, but help would certainly be nice. :) As for not switching into battle on Windows, you may have to describe your problem better. The version of VS I've been using is all supplied by HellcatV. He tells me it's the latest CVS, which is a little newer than 0.4.3. I don't know why various versions of the libraries wouldn't work, though as always there are no guarantees.
legine
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by legine »

One thing at a time.
Lets see if I get this up and running on Linux. When I managed to do this. I look at the next step. Hmm cvs...
which remebers me. You use cvs for the game right?
Well I try it with the 4.3. Version. Should not make the difference.
As for not switching into battle on Windows, you may have to describe your problem better.
Hmm, as far as I remember the game simply stops to be played as soon as a battle should come up. Dont know what is actually happening.
legine
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by legine »

Hey,

Thx for the sources, Oblivion!!

Unforunatly my Weekends are stuffed with meeting friends and on Weekdays I have only a old sluggy Windows XP Laptop which does not know if it wants rather run or crash :( (My Job is 300 km from my home ;) )

I am working on some enhancement and Linux installation, but atm I am dead slow in proceedings.

So atm I am stucked with other problems :(
I will post as soon as I have set the Laptop with some Linux envoirement. Then I can see to it to do the Job :D

Sorry for that. But I hope that I find some way soon.

Peter