A Call for Screenshots

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

pincushionman
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by pincushionman »

It would be really cool if we could translate the camera while paused, too. If you're paused, you got a whole keyboard worth of buttons that aren't doing anything.
Conquer space!
-pincushionman

---------------------------------------

Kansas really is flatter than a pancake!
http://www.improbable.com/airchives/pap ... ansas.html
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

By translate, do you mean allowing the camera free movement?
fizze
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by fizze »

yep.
translate = classical motion, while rotation is circular, spinning motion.
pincushionman
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by pincushionman »

Yeah, that way you wouldn't have to have either your ship bottom dead center or your target center...It would allow for more artistic screens.
Conquer space!
-pincushionman

---------------------------------------

Kansas really is flatter than a pancake!
http://www.improbable.com/airchives/pap ... ansas.html
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

I'm certain that either that functionality was implemented or discussed as a possible new feature by hellcatv.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I think it's a good idea to have a FreeCam or some such device.

Should it only be allowed while paused?

What F-key should enable it (wouldn't make sense to allow it in F1-mode for example)

Is it realy necessary: With the F8 key, you can already zoom around your target, which allows for many actions already.

What keys would be used (numpad? arrow keys?)
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Well, the ghost/target cams allow you a great range of freedom (especially now that they work while paused). Having a free-moving camera would give screenshot takers unlimited freedom. For instance, you could have some cool long shots of a battle, a close up of a torpedo impact, a view from under your wing as you launch a cluster of swarmers, etc. The possibilites boggle the mind.

Perhaps you could use f6 to toggle between the ghost cam and free cam, much like f1 toggles between hud and cockpit views. As for movement controls- dunno. It would probably be easiest to control it like a regular spaceship.
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

ace123 wrote:I think it's a good idea to have a FreeCam or some such device.

No, while traveling to a destination it would be nice to laze my way there, and look at the system in the meantime.
ace123 wrote:What F-key should enable it (wouldn't make sense to allow it in F1-mode for example)

Is it realy necessary: With the F8 key, you can already zoom around your target, which allows for many actions already.
I've nearly completed reworking the keybindings (will post later after testing), so anything is temporary. Don't forget, though, you could keybind using ctrl or alt modifiers to a current camera key. I'd suggest ensuring that freecam view always starts from your ship - so its not left hanging in some point in space where you have no idea where it is.
ace123 wrote:What keys would be used (numpad? arrow keys?)
Just use current keys, directional (qzsf) and function zoom keys should do the trick.
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
arno
Hunter
Hunter

Post by arno »

I have simples screenshots.
CoffeeBot
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by CoffeeBot »

Silverain wrote:
ace123 wrote:I think it's a good idea to have a FreeCam or some such device.

No, while traveling to a destination it would be nice to laze my way there, and look at the system in the meantime.
And, as such, a great deal of omniscience is granted to the player. Even being able to zoom around while paused grants this, too.

But, this kind of stuff is immensely popular, so there's probably no way of keeping it out, but I think it should be limited to single-player only. Once we have multiplayer, though, that's a great way to cheat.
CoD

Post by CoD »

I don't know if this thread is still up but.. I'm taking screenshots.

Take a look at http://www.cod.altervista.org/vegastrike/screenshots/
I'll add more later
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Very nice!
IMO, this one and this one ought to be in the official gallery (I know that anon uploads have been disabled, I'm not sure about admin uploads- if admin accounts are disabled, this may be impossible at the moment.)

By the way, check out HowTo:Take Screenshots on the VSWiki for some handy tips n' tricks. You could even add some yourself. :wink:
CoD

Post by CoD »

I'm still adding screenshots to my gallery, so check it out if you have time.

I've also added categories just to stress a bit my gallery engine :)
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

It appears as if the navigation buttons at the bottom of the main gallery are broken. so I can't see any of the new screenshots. :(

But feel free to add them to the VS user screenshots gallery (now working!)
CoD

Post by CoD »

Halleck wrote:It appears as if the navigation buttons at the bottom of the main gallery are broken. so I can't see any of the new screenshots. :(

But feel free to add them to the VS user screenshots gallery (now working!)
I'm still testing this engine, so little errors can always happen ;)

I'll try to put something in the vegastrike gallery, but I'll still use my own gallery for all the screenshots I'll decide to publish, in order to:
- preserve your bandwith and space (my free website is unused, so I can use it just for vegastrike gallery)
- "filter" the images before putting them in the VS gallery (I take a lot of screenshots, but I think just 2 or 3 of them could be added to the VS gallery)
- test my gallery engine (stress is what this code needs)
Accu-Accelerated
Hunter
Hunter

Vega Strike

Post by Accu-Accelerated »

I think that since we're going to be using OGRE for Vega Strike, and because it looks like we're going to have a new hud and other BIG graphical improvements, coming up, I think we should do this:

When we get OGRE and all the cool graphical improvements working, send people who want to volunteer screenshots a link to the new version of VS (a link that's not on the website), and have people take lots of screenshots. Heck, someone could even put together a video of the new engine! Once we have enough screenshots of the new version, put all of the current screenshots into an "old screenshots" archive, put all the new ones up, and announce the new release of VS on the site!
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Yes, it would be a good idea to archive the 0.4.x screenshots once the OGRE port (0.5.x I would think) is complete. You may notice that the 0.3.x screenshots have been archived in a similar manner. :D
Accu-Accelerated
Hunter
Hunter

Yeah, I got the idea from the 0.3 screenshots being archived.

There should be a critical mass of screenshots from the community before the OGRE port is officially released.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

This one is stunning. Really gorgeous... it should be put in the main gallery immediately.

I also like the back side- it's tough to pick between them.
pheldens
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by pheldens »

the metallic glow is really cool, it's a very good effect in VS , Love it on the mule :D rotating a bit in the sun.
Accu-Accelerated
Hunter
Hunter

Wow!

That should be on the screenshot sampler on the front page... it's a whole lot better than most of the screenshots in the gallery (which appear to be just randomly taken).
CoD

Post by CoD »

If you tell me what screenshots you would like to add to the VS gallery I could try to do it by myself.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Halleck wrote:This one is stunning. Really gorgeous... it should be put in the main gallery immediately.

I also like the back side- it's tough to pick between them.
CoD

Post by CoD »

Ok... I asked because I didn't know if someone had already ulpoaded them.

It seems I did it right... but I forget the title, so they have "Screenshot14" and "Screenshot15" :oops:

Next time I'll add it :wink:
CoD

Post by CoD »

New screenshots available (see page 3 and 4)

I discovered the Saga - Beckett sector... it's wonderful!

I simply love this one :grin:

I'll add some of them to the VS gallery as soon as possible.