High-Born Luxury Yacht

Active development of content (Art, story, etc.). Content slated for inclusion will be listed in the parent forum.

Moderator: pyramid

tiny paintings
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

High-Born Luxury Yacht

Post by tiny paintings »

This is my first model ever - so far it turned out pretty much as I planned. Doing nice concept art/sketches first helped alot :)

Well, without further babbling, here it is:

It is supposed to be a bombercraft or (medium+) fighter (but I'm partial to that since it's got no turnable thrusters, so I'm guessing it would be hard to manuever), or anything that fits really. There is place to mount quite some weaponary on the underside of the ship.

The cockpit is situated underneath the main bulk of the ship, you can see a prototype of it peeking out in one of the pictures above. The entire belly of the craft is supposed to be rather boxy - nothing like the top - and I'm planning for some nice greebles there as well (cooling unit, pipes, ...).

Ignore oddities like the "guns" in the front.
Belly/rear of the ship is still very much inexistant.

I'm skeptical to how the wings turned out - both front and back. And also the general proportions of the ship, and the fact that it looks rather much like an aircraft. I'd like some input on this, please!

Tell me if you like it, or if you don't.

(Also, this my first post here, as registered, but I've been lurking around for a while :))
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

She's a beaut. I'm thinking that this could make an aeran ship of some sort. Perhaps a shuttle or a transport?
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

Halleck wrote:She's a beaut. I'm thinking that this could make an aeran ship of some sort. Perhaps a shuttle or a transport?
100% ACK
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by CubOfJudahsLion »

SYN ACK!

Kicks gluteus maximus
tiny paintings
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by tiny paintings »

Thank you all for the kind words :)

Hmm, aeran you say? I think it looks rather aeran myself but I didn't say because I'd rather have it become something else haha.
That, mostly because I don't know if I keep the underside of the ship as I planned if it should be aeran. All the aeran ships are very sleek and smooth whilst I had planned, as mentioned, a rather boxy underside for this ship.
I don't know how much room I'd be left with texturing it either? Those artstyle guides would be nice :roll:

I looked through the Vessels&Installations wikipage but I can't come up with any perfect match.
The aeran transport vessel listed there does not seem to fit my ship (says it's not unlike an spacegoing bus... eh) :).
I'm thinking bomber, light transport of some sorts, diplomatic vessel or I could maybe convert it into a small troop transporter (add large passanger compartment on the underside).

There's room to fit a few turrets under the front wings should they be needed, and I could probably fit a few on the rear as well.

I'm imagining something fast going, cause it does have rather large engines... hehe:

hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

Just a thought, the cockpit part on the bottom could alternativley be a place for some sort of huge mount.

And yes, it does look rather aeran. An aeran bomber would be good, I dont think that we really have one ATM.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Maybe compare to the other aeran ship currently under development:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=3808

Since the other one is going to be a corvette, maybe this could be the Agesilaus (Aeran Diplomatic Transport). jackS' opinion would be valued on this matter.

If so, it would need a docking region.
Luengo
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Luengo »

I really like it. Can't wait to see it textured. Keep it up!
Flowers Of Naivety
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Flowers Of Naivety »

Wow that looks awsome! Yeah the first thing I thought was "That looks like an Aerean ship!"

I really like the engines!
"The flowers of naivety, buried in a layer of frost"
Concept Artist at: www.reteb.hlgaming.com
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Very pretty.

The engines don't actually match the Aeran aesthetic that well.
Nothing jumps out as a natural match for the model as it currently is, and if you're going to be requested to do some revisioning of the model (which is fairly certain, unless I have a match-making epiphany), I'd welcome hearing your interests on exactly which ships on the list (or suggestions for ships not on the list) you'd most be interested in turning it into before we schedule it for such plastic surgeries as would cause it to become a different entity.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

To me, it looks like a high-speed reconnisance craft, mostly due to the big engine and its aerodynamics (sort of useless in space, but perhaps it could achieve quick atmospheric insertion/extraction for spy-picture-taking purposes). Besides, the downside cockpit supports this role: so that the pilot may see the terrain better while trying to find a shooting angle.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

OT
klauss, you make an important point, for me. Flight is not the only way to justify aerodynamic looks. Stealth may also. This is great! Means a lot of ship shapes can be justified in 1 of 2 ways...
/OT

I really like these models, BTW; they remind me a bit of the SR71.
Duality
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Duality »

The polies seem to be a bit a little too high.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Duality wrote:The polies seem to be a bit a little too high.
I see no reason for the total polygon count to be considered anything other than perfectly fine. I can't comment on how efficiently the model is spending polygons, as that is beyond my purvey.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Nah, it shouldn't be an issue. Might be a good idea to get some LOD's, though.
TyKeiL
Merchant
Merchant

Post by TyKeiL »

although overall polycount for this model isnt an issue i would definatly say there could be some modifications made for effenciancy that wouldnt affect overall beauty.

such as.
at the tip of the nose there are a fe poly's that could go
ontop of the wing at the squeese in the middle. there could be some too.

and between the two engines on either side..

beautifull model though. sleek :O)
beans
tiny paintings
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by tiny paintings »

@klauss/chuck:
As for having a smooth-looking hull that could be justified with the decreased surface area (hull shielding is expensive/heavy!) compared to a boxy counterpart. And wings... well they look good and are a nice place to mount weapons/equipment :)

@duality/etc.:
It's WORK IN PROGRESS :)
I'll try to eliminate polygons and optimize it after I'm content with the overall shape - whatever that will turn out to be :)
I'm very very new to this but one thing I learned early on is that it's always easy to remove detail later, opposed to be recreating detail, that's more work.

It's about 630 faces as it is now :shock:

I'm still pondering what ship to turn this into. The engines have to stay so I guess aeran is out.
I'm thinking it could be a Klk'k ship? I think especially the dostoevsky and also the kafka look rather similar in style? I don't what you had in mind for the Camus (system patrol frigate), could that fit? It's a shame race/faction/ship documentation is still rather poor, makes it hard to picture what the different ships should be like :(
My other suggestion is no. 194, the high-born private yacht. I might be way off! In that case, point me in the right direction!

I played around some with it... the cockpit is the major change, and new wings but they turned out pretty much the same as the old ones:

smbarbour
Fearless Venturer
Fearless Venturer

Post by smbarbour »

Andolian Protectorate/Klk'k (same thing) seems like a good choice. It seems to me though, that this ship (with the recent changes) is bigger than a fighter/bomber. This looks like a small capship to me. Right around a crew of 30, armed enough to defend itself, but not enough to lead a fleet into battle. And definately more realistic to have in the bases flightgroup than a Dostoevsky.

EDIT: Just saw the comment about the Camus. That sounds about right to me.
Last edited by smbarbour on Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've stopped playing. I'm waiting for a new release.

I've kicked the MMO habit for now, but if I maintain enough money for an EVE-Online subscription, I'll be gone again.
tiny paintings
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by tiny paintings »

Klk'k and Andolian same thing? I'm confused... :S

hehe Yeah it's definetley not a small ship after I added that "cockpit"/commanding-bridge. Could range from medium sized to somewhat big... depends on details like texturing :) It is also very easy to make it bigger by streching the mid portion of the ship, or make it appear smaller by using either the first underslung cockpit or a classical topmount. ...but I rather like this cockpit.
smbarbour
Fearless Venturer
Fearless Venturer

Post by smbarbour »

The Klk'k and the Andolians are seperate races (the Andolians being a human faction), but the Klk'k are closely allied with Andolians since the Andolians learned of the Light-Bearer's occupation of Ktah shortly after the occupation began.

Please read "a brief history in time and space.pdf" found in the history folder of Vegastrike for more information.

Needless to say, you will not find any Light-Bearers flying around. :twisted:
I've stopped playing. I'm waiting for a new release.

I've kicked the MMO habit for now, but if I maintain enough money for an EVE-Online subscription, I'll be gone again.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Gorgeous.

I think it would make a fine high-born yacht, but that might be a waste of such a great model.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

could you post some more shots of what you're doing on the bottom from a more bottom-friendly angle? I can't entirely tell what the shapes are there.

I consider both the Camus and the HBLC yacht reasonable directions to take. I'll let you know which one I've settled on after I spend some more time looking at the bottom of the craft (and after a good night's sleep).

@Halleck - Why would you consider a yacht a waste of a model?
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

I guess I was assuming that such vessels would be an uncommon sight.

Now that I think about it, even uncommon vessels wouldn't be a 'waste', since that only heightens the uniqueness of each sighting. Either way, I stand corrected.
tiny paintings
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by tiny paintings »

@smbardour: thank you for the clarifications :) I have read the "history" more thoroughly now :)

Here's a shot showing the underside:

But since you really can't make much out of that either, here's the model in its current incarnation:

http://www.d.kth.se/~gimaker/vs/camusyacht.wings

It also just received new wings... comments on which you like the best (should you take a peek) are welcome. It is shorter than in the screenshot as well, but length is easily adjusted.

EDIT: Q: While I'm at it, is there anyway you can have multiple materials using the same texturemap? Doesn't seem like there is in Wings. Otherwise I'll end up making 2 (at least cockpit + rest) or 3... that should not be and issue though I guess, since oveverall memory req. would stay the same.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

I like the well-thought out cockpit; full view as well as frontal bump protection.