Convolution: New concept art available

Active development of content (Art, story, etc.). Content slated for inclusion will be listed in the parent forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Nózmájner
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Nózmájner »

Actually I was asked about that too(and I asked about the working lateral thrusters too), and dandandaman saidthis:
That type of engine stuff has been in the TODO for yonks, it's just a matter of getting around to implementing it :)
By the way, what happens when you add a negative number to the engineglow's starting value?

Almost equal retro and forward acceleration could be usefull, that's why I usually add them to my ships. And this ship has them for sure :D

Anyway, the model looks good.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I've been thinking about retro thrusters and maneuvering jets (the so-called RCS thrusters). It shouldn't be hard to make them automatic: according to the direction of the halos and acceleration, the ones facing the right direction would fire. They wouldn't look that bad, although they wouldn't be realistic. But I still don't know what to do with torque (turning).
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

finished another part,
I see dead polygons....
Nózmájner
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Nózmájner »

Looks neat!
The only thing I miss from it is that bottom extruding armor. It is somewhat paralell with the main part, but a bit larger. Some kind of extra layer of armour for something a bit bigger inside.
Look at that little simple sketch at the bottom right side of that page.
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

yep I forgive a layer while rendering, there is the stripes near the vent too on it, I will redo a render when last part will be finished
I see dead polygons....
Nózmájner
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Nózmájner »

Here's an update about this ship, it's texture, directly from etheral walker, who asked me to upload it.

It's a bit empty (or most likely, the pic is too small, so I can't see all of the hull platings) in some places, mostly at the "neck", but I like it. Especially those faded stripes. The retro thrusters are nice too!

Can you send me the raw texture when you've got access to some faster net, so I may can come up with something extra detail, and also I can learn some about texturing?
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

Sure, I will add more details to the nose. For the raw layered textures, well when I will be able to connect at better speed^^ it already took 2 minutes to send you this unique image :/ Thus, grabbing each 2M images of the determinant is an awfull pain
I see dead polygons....
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

Sure, I will add more details to the nose. For the raw layered textures, well when I will be able to connect at better speed^^ it already took 2 minutes to send you this unique image :/ Thus, grabbing each 2M images of the determinant is an awfull pain
I see dead polygons....
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re:

Post by pyramid »

Is this model still available for sharing?
Nózmájner
Mercenary
Mercenary

Re: Convolution: New concept art available

Post by Nózmájner »

Ethereal Walker sent me some preliminaly models back then, for discussion but they are far from finish, and the version I've got didn't had the additional engine pod.
I have them by the way, so if there's no other way to obtain a more recent version, then I can sent it to you.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

I think I have tried to obtain the most recent meshes from etheral walker, or maybe not. Just in case I've sent him another email. Things tend to get terribly lost in time and, to be on the safe side, it would be good if you could sent me any mesh you have for this ship.

*EDIT*
The Convolution blender file (not most recent version supplied by Nozmajner) is available in the masters (masters/units/vessels/Convolution) repository.
Modelers and texture artists are requested to pick on this excellent model and bring the mesh up to standards and provide it with textures.
ezee
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by ezee »

BIG UP !
Salutation to Pyramid and thanks for the hard work .

We're in 2014 now , blender is 2.69 old .
I will try to use the blend you describe and start doing something .
I hope UnitConv is still working . ( yeah man with the bfxm format inside
a python module , we are near to have a visualizer using pyglet ).
Sweet dreams are melodies ...
(f*g)(x)

Edit : The blend is working with Blender 2.69 :
screenshot preview low quality :
http://spacetechs.free.fr/VEGASTRIKEDEV ... ution2.jpg
http://spacetechs.free.fr/VEGASTRIKEDEV ... ution3.jpg
blend saved with blender 2.69 :
http://spacetechs.free.fr/VEGASTRIKEDEV ... tion.blend

I have downloaded UnitConv , it runs with python 2.7
Look complex .
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

It is complex, because you have to specify material details when importing to the game (blender's materials are no good for us).

Normally, if you stick to a subset of blender's capabilities regarding materials, you can export as .obj+.mtl and the import process to VS is rather simple and straightforward.

The subset is:
  • Single UV coordinate set - we don't support multiple yet, though I kinda would love to - so it might change in the future
  • Single texture per channel - no composite textures or stuff like that, though you can use multiple textures (one in each channel). For instance:
    • Diffuse texture
    • Specular texture
    • Emissive texture
    • Normals texture
  • No smoothing groups/autosmoothing - hard edges must have vertex split
  • Only triangles and quads
The engine supports more features than those (ie: heightmap, shininess texture, damage texture, PRT texture), but adding those requires some manual editing of the .mtl file (nothing too difficult though).
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
ezee
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by ezee »

Hi Klauss , thank you for that subset's information .
Will be helpful .