Art Request: People

Active development of content (Art, story, etc.). Content slated for inclusion will be listed in the parent forum.

Moderator: pyramid

hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

I like it!
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

@CubOfJudahsLion

You raise a very true point! Your opinion, my opinion, other's opinion.

BUT,

You stood up and made the artistic effort - so your decision is final. The work is appreciated.

P.S. always did wonder what beige looked like. :)
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Everything looks great thus far. Regardless of any negative opinions, it's a vast improvement over what is currently in game and therefore a sure-fire winner no matter the minor objections (and so minor they are).
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

ISO and merchant are now updated :-)

Dan.a
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
Synchrone
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Synchrone »

Just posting to note I think the art posted is great. 8)
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by CubOfJudahsLion »

Thanx guys.

Ok, here's the confed pilot replacement.

Looks heavy-armored because he is. He's ready for both space and land action, helmet and superspace gun sold separately. You'll notice that he wears both Navy-style and Air Force-style captain insignias (space armadas are often depicted as more functionally diverse and complemented, rather resembling the Navy, but why not honor the Air Force tradition as well? What? Not convincing enough? Ok, his used to be a joint ops unit that now upholds both traditions. There. Pppppbbbt.) And that's not his helmet; it's a multifunctional additional protection/data hub cap. Helmet goes on top of it, very tightly and protectively. The data hub (avec videomnemonic goggles) is the only alternative to those who don't want a FireWire socket in their heads.

Photoshop file: http://www.geocities.com/cubofjudahslio ... -fixer.zip

if that doesn't work, visit the directory (http://www.geocities.com/cubofjudahslion/VS) and then try to get the file. Somehow, it worked last time.
Last edited by CubOfJudahsLion on Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Here there be dragons.

Avast! Arrr, this here scurvy lubber be a no good... oh forget it. This pirate goes the seclusive way--big coat-style flight suit that hides arms and armors well. Anyone who is unfortunate enough to cross paths with this skinny dude is in for a sharp surprise.

Photoshop: http://www.geocities.com/cubofjudahslio ... -fixer.zip

or... well, you know.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

beautiful as always, but I would, if you'll allow, alter the description somewhat on two points:

"You'll notice that he wears both Navy-style and Air Force-style captain insignias"

Actually, one will notice that he wears the eagle of an air-force colonel/naval captain and the bars of a naval lieutenant (at least when read in US military tradition).

I see this as most easily explained by the following:
Air forces are planetary affairs.
The air force colonel's rank is the officer's rank with respect to the planetary air force to which he is assigned, as a Confederation naval lieutenant, as part of the set of officers assigned to coordinate that planet's defenses with the navy. Such rank inflation allows the navy to more easily command planetary resources on short notice without having to wander through as many layers of the planetary authority's command structure.

"Looks heavy-armored because he is. He's ready for both space and land action"

Well, certainly he's more heavily armored than the civilians in flight-suits (or less) but I wouldn't declare him especially suited for ground combat for two reasons. Firstly, his suit is vaguely unwieldy at full gravity - it's a suit designed for maximum utility in the sort of vessel that one can't walk around in, not for maximum mobility. While he would benefit more than lose from wearing such a suit on the ground, he'd vastly prefer to be equipped with a more suitable suit solution (if you'll excuse the alliteration). Secondly, the heavier armor is aimed primarily at interdicting secondary radiation and excited particles (that would be generated in unhealthy amounts upon hits to the hull, even before any actual rupturing of said hull), and is unoptimized for protecting against those forms of injury more commonly seen in ground combat, or the majority of boarding actions(though better suited to the latter than the former).
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

• Naval captain: eagle (chest), or four 1-half inch bars and 1 star.
  • Air force captain: double silver bars (arm)
Funny how one can read different ranks from same insignia in different corps, but your explanation redeeming my "goof-up" certainly has merit. Can we keep it? :)

The color bar-pad I added as merely as a variation of four 1-half (it could be argued to no end that this set of rank insignias varied in the future, but I'll refrain from it and just remove it. Besides, it's too reminiscent of warrant officer insignias.)

The "space and land..." bit is part of a joke, but I'll admit it to be a bit confusing. Yes, that's gotta be a flight-only suit. I mean, it looks like he can barely walk with that :)
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

CubOfJudahsLion wrote: Funny how one can read different ranks from same insignia in different corps, but your explanation redeeming my "goof-up" certainly has merit. Can we keep it? :)
Of course :)
CubOfJudahsLion wrote: (it could be argued to no end that this set of rank insignias varied in the future
It might be just as well to make up our own rank insignia, just for the heck of it ;-)

Yeah, I looked at the double bars, but there seemed to be no perpendicular connection between them, so I took them for double stripes and just figured the star/maple leaf/etc. had been ommitted...

yeah, we really probably should come up with some standard set of insignia, locations, and orientations. It'll be less confusing in the end. IM me at some point and we'll chit-chat about it or somesuch.
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

jackS wrote:yeah, we really probably should come up with some standard set of insignia, locations, and orientations. It'll be less confusing in the end. IM me at some point and we'll chit-chat about it or somesuch.
Probably be best - that way no arguements about what something means. Only suggestion here is don't base them on any one particular earth military model (US, Brit, Russian etc), lets make it our own.

Basic example:
Central insignia being the Confed insignia. This is on top of a variable pointed star, with each point denoting the rank (2 point loui, 3 point captain, 4 point major etc).
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Totally agree! The more original, the better. VS insigniae doesn't even have to look like existing ones. When we have our own, I'll edit this confed dude. I could also make a chart for reference.
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

WIP: "cloak" mystery guy.

This one is a bit of a headache... the boots may need to go away.

hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

Thats awesome! I didnt notice the boots until you pointed them out though. Might not be as bad when part of him is covered up by a table too...
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Thanx dude.

Alternate without boots:

Boots and cloak are some sort of visual/thermo camo fabric:

Which one stays, which one goes?
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

I like the final one, with the nifty fabric myself :-)

Dan.a
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

I like the boots
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

I prefer without the boots.
zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

last one with the boots and camo is pretty damn cool
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

I dont like the new fabric but I like the boots :)

Seeing as there is no consensious, perhaps you should decide...

they don't fit in the VS-universere

Post by Guest »

The comic-people look nice but they don't fit in the VS-universere.
Perhaps you shouldn't insert them only because they look nice.
I mean, this is too less and perhaps a wrong way for the current concept of VS?

regards
spunti
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Re: they don't fit in the VS-universere

Post by jackS »

Guest wrote:The comic-people look nice but they don't fit in the VS-universere.
Perhaps you shouldn't insert them only because they look nice.
I mean, this is too less and perhaps a wrong way for the current concept of VS?

regards
spunti
Actually, as far as I'm concerned, they fit in well enough with the VS universe, unless I'm misinterpreting your comment and you were merely stating that there is a stylistic clash between the comic-style chars and the 3-D rendered bases they appear in?

As to the latter, they're certainly worlds better than what they were replacing, and even if/when everything goes lovely 3-D realtime render on base - the work is hardly for naught, as it's fuel for CoJL's efforts towards a VS comic (in addition to replacing the often unsightly existing fixer pics)

If, however, something in particular is irking you as dissonant with respect to the portrayal of people in the VS universe and your conception of the VS universe, I welcome comments so that future dissemination of information about the VS universe may assist in reducing any such confusions.
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Thanx. This is indeed hard work and it's good to see it's appreciated. These fixers take between 5 and 8 hours each, sometimes even more, to draw, scan, clean, color and shade (I wouldn't use the exact same technique for comics, naturally.)

Back with Mr. Seclusive here. (Mr. Pilot is still hanging while the insignia set comes out. However, the pirate is pretty much finished. Is anybody uploading this?) I thought some of you may like a more techie camo robe:

hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

amazing!!!
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Oooo, purdy.