Setup Vega Strike not displaying properly, Ubuntu 20.04

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
LJ_Dude
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Setup Vega Strike not displaying properly, Ubuntu 20.04

Post by LJ_Dude »

Hi there, I'm totally new to Vega Strike and I can't quite figure out why it won't run properly. I've installed Vega-Strike_v0.7.0-py3-Ubuntu-focal_x86_64.deb and vsUTCS_v0.7.0.deb, but when I open "Setup Vega Strike" from the Activities menu (Image 1), it does not show everything it's supposed to.
Image 1:
Vega-Strike_in_activities_menu.png
The expected result is a menu with all these buttons (Image 2), but I just get the beginning text and the last two buttons (Image 3):
Image 2:
Vega-Strike_Config.jpg
Image 3:
Vega-Strike_Broken-Config.png
If I click "Save Settings and Exit" and then try to open VS with the command "vegastrike" in the terminal, it gives me all this, probably because the config file is empty:

Code: Select all

[2021-11-15 16:48:58.202571] [0x00007f13c3361840] [trace]   Registering codec ogg
[2021-11-15 16:48:58.202596] [0x00007f13c3361840] [trace]   .

Legacy Mode: TRUE
Saving current directory (/home/lj-dude) as DATA_DIR
 In path /home/lj-dude
Vega Strike  
See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for license details.

GOT SUBDIR ARG = 
Found data in /usr/share/vegastrike
Using /usr/share/vegastrike as data directory
Using .vegastrike as the home directory
Found MODDIR = /usr/share/vegastrike/mods
USING HOMEDIR : /home/lj-dude/.vegastrike As the home directory 
CONFIGFILE - Found a config file in home directory, using : /home/lj-dude/.vegastrike/vegastrike.config
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::exception_detail::clone_impl<boost::exception_detail::error_info_injector<boost::property_tree::ptree_bad_path> >'
  what():  No such node (vegaconfig.variables.)
Aborted (core dumped)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Setup Vega Strike not displaying properly, Ubuntu 20.04

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome LJ asked on our gitter chat for one of our code mavens to come take a look.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
temporalbeing
Trader
Trader

Post by temporalbeing »

Can you please try running `vsettings` in the terminal and see what kind of output you're getting?

I suspect that something is wrong with the settings application so it isn't writing the configuration out as expected which vegastrike is then looking for and not finding.

Though since you have 0.5.1 installed that could be adding a complication too. Hopefully the terminal output of vsettings will provide some clues.
LJ_Dude
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by LJ_Dude »

To clarify, I have 0.7.0 installed, not 0.5.1. Image 2, the example of what I'd expect to get, is from version 0.5.1, but that's not the version I have installed.

When I run 'vsettings' in the terminal I get the same result. (See Image 3.) The terminal just says "Found data in /usr/share/vegastrike" and nothing more. Nothing is added when I click Save Settings and Exit.
temporalbeing
Trader
Trader

Post by temporalbeing »

the_mtn_who_glides
Merchant
Merchant

Post by the_mtn_who_glides »

Sorry, I'm just now getting a chance to look at this.

Can you try running the following terminal command:

find / -iname 'vegastrike.config'
LJ_Dude
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by LJ_Dude »

Ah, forgot about this until now. It gave me a whole bunch of things and said "Permission denied" for each and every one.
temporalbeing
Trader
Trader

Post by temporalbeing »

Can you please try fixing the permissions problem and then see if this is still an issue?
LJ_Dude
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by LJ_Dude »

How would I go about fixing that?
the_mtn_who_glides
Merchant
Merchant

LJ_Dude Sorry, I probably should have mentioned that running that command would likely give you a lot of Permission Denied messages. That's all it gave you though?

If you like, you can try rerunning the same command with root permissions (i.e. sudo). That should cut down the number of Permission Denied errors somewhat. And hopefully, it will make it easier to find the actual file results in the output.
the_mtn_who_glides
Merchant
Merchant

At this point, my hunch is that you have one or more copies of vegastrike.config containing invalid syntax, somewhere in one of the paths that Vega Strike searches for that file. If we can find the errant file and correct its contents, then hopefully vsettings will start working for you.
LJ_Dude
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by LJ_Dude »

There are two vegastrike.config files: one in home/lj_dude/.vegastrike which has nothing at all, and one in usr/share/vegastrike that is 62.7kB in size and has quite a bit of stuff that I presume to be the regular config info. What should I do with these?
LJ_Dude
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by LJ_Dude »

the_mtn_who_glides wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:53 pm LJ_Dude Sorry, I probably should have mentioned that running that command would likely give you a lot of Permission Denied messages. That's all it gave you though?
Yes, running it normally gives me all permission denied stuff. Running it with sudo gives me something else, but still permission denied:

/home/lj-dude/.vegastrike/vegastrike.config
/usr/share/vegastrike/vegastrike.config
find: ‘/run/user/1000/doc’: Permission denied
find: ‘/run/user/1000/gvfs’: Permission denied
find: ‘/run/user/125/gvfs’: Permission denied
Running it with root gives me the same as sudo.
the_mtn_who_glides
Merchant
Merchant

OK, so 3 permission denied messages, but also the 2 file results I was looking for. The files you mentioned, /home/lj_dude/.vegastrike/vegastrike.config and /usr/share/vegastrike/vegastrike.config.

Try renaming or deleting the first one. The empty one, under your home folder. Maybe call it vegastrike.config.bak or something. Then rerun vsettings, and let's see what you get.
LJ_Dude
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by LJ_Dude »

That seems to have fixed it. Thank you very much!
Vega Strike Config Fixed.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
the_mtn_who_glides
Merchant
Merchant

Sweet! You're welcome.