Code Cleanup

Development directions, tasks, and features being actively implemented or pursued by the development team.
Roy
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Code Cleanup

Post by Roy »

I've started a little bit of code cleanup.
A few modest objectives:
- get rid of IDE warnings (clang?)
- get rid of make warnings
- refactor code to modern C++ standards 14/17
- write a few unit tests
- maybe a mock or two
- when compilers add modules support, refactor to use modules

For example, I refactored the following:

Code: Select all

unsigned long length = static_cast<unsigned long>(f.Size());
                if (length > 0) {
                    char *temp = static_cast<char*>(malloc( length+1));
                    temp[length] = '\0';
                    f.Read( temp, length );
                    bool  end  = true;
                    for (int i = static_cast<int>(length-1); i >= 0; i--) {
                        if (temp[i] == '\r' || temp[i] == '\n')
                            temp[i] = (end ? '\0' : '_');
                        else if (temp[i] == '\0' || temp[i] == ' ' || temp[i] == '\t')
                            temp[i] = (end ? '\0' : '_');
                        else
                            end = false;
                    }
                    *res = (temp);
                    free( temp );
                }
                f.Close();
to the following:

const auto size = static_cast<const unsigned long>(f.Size());
                if(size > 0) {
                    vector<char> file(size, 0);
                    auto filePointer = reinterpret_cast<char*>(&file[0]);
                    f.Read(filePointer, size);
                    auto end = true;

for (auto it = file.rbegin(); it != file.rend(); ++it) {
                        switch(*it) {
                        case '\r':
                        case '\n':
                        case '\0':
                        case '\t':
                        case ' ':
                            *it = end ? '\0' : '_';
                            break;
                        default: end = false;
                        }
                    }
                }

f.Close();
I understand the dev team is somewhat unavailable, but would like some input on whether this is welcome and any inputs they may have.
I can also fork the project, if the devs don't feel comfortable giving me access to the repository.

Roy
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Code Cleanup

Post by loki1950 »

It's not somewhat unavailable they most have moved on the project founders all have PhD's and the tenured positions that go with them so have no time for us at all.I will have to really look at what I can do re: GitHub not sure what prerogatives I have as I did not start it though was invited to join which I did.As for klauss who was the most active he's a cryptographer so is always busy with work.If you want to fork it's your call BTW the graphics code is also way out of date.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
the_mtn_who_glides
Merchant
Merchant

Post by the_mtn_who_glides »

@Roy, I can only speak for myself, but I would be glad to have those changes merged into the main Vega Strike repo on GitHub.

How about going with C++14? I think this will strike a good balance between new features and backwards compatibility with slightly older Linux distros, etc.

Thoughts?
Roy
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Roy »

Obviously, had I waited a few days, I would have forked from github and not gone this route. However, the purpose was always for this fork to be a temporary thing - a way to gain knowledge of the code and and mercilessly cut with a machete without waiting for pull requests. I don't know how much you've looked at the code but it is challenging from an encapsulation point of view. It's very hard to make a change without breaking 50 other things.

If I can get anything of value developed (e.g. better upgrade code) I'll offer to remerge the code. The biggest obstacle to collaboration right now is that I have an overall code architecture in my head but can't use a second person without a lot more overhead then I can afford right now. I'm doing this after a full day in the office and time is at a premium.

If you are looking for something to do that wouldn't collide with my efforts, I suggest you take a look at either ogre or python. These are real tasks with real value (not grinding code cleanup), really interesting and something people here would appreciate. Leave boost alone. I just compiled with 1.67 without any changes to the code.

Regarding C++20/17 support, I think it would run fine on older machines. After all, the result should be x86 machine code. I think the problem is the libraries and supporting older machines is a real trade off between readable and correct code and reaching a wider base. I guess will figure this when we get to it.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Re: older machines has anyone seen a distro that is still supporting 32-bit. @Roy please work your way but do consider us a resource we maybe forced to upgrade Python to 3.0 but that will a major job as a minimal Python stub must be embedded into the main engine as it is the engine itself that runs the Python scripts not the system installed Python.I may not be a C++ coder but I am fairly well up on our source tree structure.Any effort to use Ogre will need major restructuring see the the Ogre branches ATM we do have an issue with an API change that broke mesher our cmd line mesh conversion tool two possible solutions drop conversion to .mesh(Ogre 3d mesh format) or update that function within mesher.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Roy
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Roy »

Re: older machines - this is a confusing subject, so let me expand on it and apologies if you knew all this. 32/64 bit means a couple of things. The first is CPU but IIRC, 64 bit x86 always support 32 bit as well. Next comes the OS. You can have 32bit windows on a 64 bit CPU. Finally, there's the code you compile. On windows you can see two 'Program Files' folders. Even if this is an issue, we simply recompile for i386 (32bit) and it should work.
The problem with older machines is that the libraries are held in place and not upgraded. When libraries evolve, the API's change. That means the code get filled with all sorts of #ifdef directives and other ugly stuff. If you start upgrading libraries, you could wind up with a slower machine. It used to be a real issue but not sure how relevant it still is. More of an issue for Macs maybe.
I'm intentionally staying away from Ogre, the graphics engine and python. I'm focusing right now on units code. So far, it's not going well :)
Darkmage
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Darkmage »

I have some ideas for future engine development. Is anyone hacking on VegaOgre? Is it dead? The reason I ask is because I think we should be picking up the older Vegastrike engine. I propose this roadmap:
- Disabling Quad/Polygon Support in the Vegastrike Engine.
- Exporting, triangulating, re-importing all art assets.
- Once all dependancy on Quads/Polygons is gone and all graphics have been replaced with triangulated objects replace OpenGL Matrix Functions with non GL Matrix functions and start removing all functions that force the use of OpenGL version 2.1.
- After Matrix Functions have been replaced Begin re-writing the engine to store triangle data in Vertex Arrays.
- After migrating to Vertex Arrays, begin porting the engine to OpenGL 4.
If you're interested in helping with mission editor/engine development contact me at jcarthew@gmail.com or irc.freenode.net #vegastrike.
wirser
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by wirser »

I have looked at the matrix structur and it goes something like this

! all of the db's are in python. they are folded, spindled and mutated by python then sent via boost to open GL, all which need updating
2 what loki1950is a major work in itself . what Klauss did was to take the young python code and include in the VS project per open source and called the functions as he wanted to use them. he/they did not keep up with the upgrades , hence the current state of code.

If I have some major brain fart and decide to abuse myself attempting to separate the VS version of Python ide fron the VS code, I'll keep you posted
if current_situation=fact and if current_situation=faith
then current_forcast = excitement
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

One strategy forward it to change to an other scripting language so the we do not need an embedded Python interpreter within the engine and move forward on Ogre as then it becomes the render(then no need to struggle with OpenGL) and it also provides GUI support as currently that is handled by a Python web server so the GUI pages are done in subset of html .

wirser
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by wirser »

Well it didn't take too long,first the sinus pressure ,next the gurgling noises, finally BRRRAPt and a brain fart meets the galaxy.

I started to run vs-taose via valgrind tools , but first a word on trouble with VS/engine/CMakeLists.txt. most of the targets other than "Release" have trouble with CXX_FLAGS / C_FLAGS that will caue tproblem with compile.
replace "-std=c++1(space)" with "-std=c++11" 2 places
replace "-fvisibility=hidden1" with "-fvisibility=hidden"
drop "-werror" it will kill compile
These are a couple of things I found

After I change CMakeLists.txt I clean everything in my "build" folder and rerun ccmake (i don't even use "cmake at all now ).

when compiling is finished I run valgrind with

valgrind -v --tool=callgrind --dump-instr=yes --trace-jump=yes ./vegastrike

As I have just begun I dont have much to report - but I have found the first python call in main.cpp .

btw is https://github.com/vegastrike the defacto repository now? and which tree is it from (as I am working with Vegastrike-taose-051rc3) I also have some files for mods (vegatrek,wcu etc) I have gathered up if anyone is interested
wirser
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: Code Cleanup-python

Post by wirser »

While I was trackink python calls in /engine/src/main.cpp I found "#include "cs_python.h" which is some work around for python 2.4 to call "#include <Python.h>". so being curois I renamede engine/src/cs_python.h make clean && make and everytime I got an error about cs_python.h not being I did the following

replace
#include "cs_python.h"
with
#include <Python.h>
in
/engine/src/main.cpp
/engine/src/python/python_compile.h
/engine/src/python/python_class.h
/engine/src/savegame.cpp
/engine/src/universe_util_generic.cpp
/engine/src/command.cpp
/engine/src/cmd/base_init.cpp

This even seems to improve peformance

also I noticed building a libboost-python which I already have from debian

more to follow

after playtesting previously unseen python warnings were generated.
may havw been hidden for who knows howlong :?