Trying to compile vega strike in Ubuntu 16.04 fails

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
jackiebean
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Trying to compile vega strike in Ubuntu 16.04 fails

Post by jackiebean »

not sure if this is the right config file but it was in the src folder. i tried pasting it here and the file was way too big. 3x the allowable characters per post so i will either have to upload a txt copy of it or piece it in the next few posts (triple or quadruple post)

i also keep having python errors asking for a python package that doesn't exist even on backports (libpython2.so), it cries about ogre as well even though ogre is present. is there any way to force past the dependencies? i really like this old game and have been wanting to play the privateer mod as well.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Trying to compile vega strike in Ubuntu 16.04 fails

Post by loki1950 »

The Ogre reference is just for a converter that has ogre's .mesh as one of it's outputs so add -- no mesher to the make line not sure about the python issue but we still use version 2.7 so would need to see the specific errors.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
jackiebean
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by jackiebean »

ok, i had to go and redact all references to the user name in the log file but here it is (hope this helps)
config.txt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jackiebean
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by jackiebean »

here is the text version of the terminal when i give the "configure" as sudo command when attempting to compile from the source
configuresource.txt
if you notice there is now a reference to python.h missing when the file missing used to be python.o

it also says GTK is missing and the exact version of python it expects (i'm guessing) or just enough of it missing to halt things
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Not sure if the configure script works at all any more as we moved to cmake over five years ago and have not maintained the old config/make/install pipeline since check the wiki for a how to use cmake I haven't built the source for a while now so will do a fresh svn check out as the github version is focused on a windows build currently.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
jackiebean
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by jackiebean »

well im not sure why but i suspect it has more to do with the "lightness of lubuntu" and the fact it doesn't support many of the libraries these linux built games need to run, or used to but the developers saw fit to omit them for obsolescence sake (?) but lubuntu was not designed to run games, the main developer is a chinese guy who sees such things as unnecessary (such as games that are more complicated than pysol)

but that is a moot point anyway because i had to install linux mint in the leftover space on my drive along side lubuntu, since i cant log in to the lubuntu desktop any more there, and i will have to try and rebuild vega strike in mint. i will try and figure out how to make it work, but i had no idea that cmake was the command, and i suspect that since it kept failing in lubuntu, (especially the cmake command) there was some sort of a mismatch or dependency issue in lubuntu, which i may or may not encounter in mint.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Use Mint's software manager cmake is a package that is not part of build-essentials so no surprise the shell did not like it :wink: it is multi-platform ie:Win/OSX/Linux which is the main reason we use it only one dependency list to maintain.The main reason that Lubuntu has so few libraries is that it was designed as a light weight OS easy on older machines low in memory the lack of games is just a side effect :roll: BTW there is also a cmakeGUI package which I prefer.

TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

As to this issue, yeah, mesher is still not fixed in trunk, but with Ogre support turned off (in ccmake) compiles too.
Other than that, see on VS wiki. There's also the list of required libraries/ *-dev packages, probably still actual.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
jackiebean
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by jackiebean »

Yeah, but i noticed in this particular set of updates for linux mint they downloaded cmake automatically and i just had to install the gui. have not used it yet since i have to rebuild the system how i had it before, but i will.

lubuntu on the other hand had cmake installed from synaptic and it still would not work. i think just two libraries were not used anymore and the new ones were sort of an attempted redirect to a package that would sort of work in most instances, but not in this case. some of the 32 bit binaries/libraries were MIA in lubuntu 64 or restricted for some weird reason and would not show up in the search results. For instance: installing an older library would force the newer one to be uninstalled (as in the case with my desktop where i could not install more than one desktop environment when most other linux distros allow you to do just that) hence the reason i was locked out of my own computer... it uninstalled one desktop environment completely (lubuntu lxde wih pcmanfm) and only partially replaced it with another (xfce with thunar)... not cool...

Most of the time the specific file the error report listed would be so old that it would no longer be supported (depending on distro), unavailable or was last available in distros based on ubuntu 14.10, so even if i tried to download it elsewhere it had its own dependency issues that prevented installation...

or a 16.04 distro has a replacement package that may or may not be able to perform the task the old library would be able to perform. its a mixed bag with linux, but i have found that the devs for mint are listening to the users and have coded it so they can allow for older redundant libraries to still be present to account for the open source gaming community and the players... very refreshing. I guess that is one of the most popular distros for a reason, and they keep increasing their worth because of its versatility. i had no problem installing other non repository games in mint that gave me headaches for weeks, trying to install in lubuntu.

i will check it out the dependency list again, but there is a good chance that just switching distros will fix the issue anyway.
jackiebean
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by jackiebean »

well i was able to run the cmake fine and it seemed to be working, right up until i tried to use the command "sudo make install" which fails. i also tried just running vegastrike without installing and that failed as well. seems like this is going to be a non starter unless there is a way less convoluted way to install the game. all dependencies besides ogre were met, but that is simply due to a version difference, since it is calling for 1.2 instead of 1.9

im not sure where to go from here since even in the wiki it says the install file for this is broken, or missing.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Could you run it from a terminal just ./vegastrike and copy/paste the output here that and do run vssetup first to set the proper screen resolution and all the other user variables.The reason that the newer version of Ogre does not work is that there was a change in the api between 1.2 to 1.9.

jackiebean
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by jackiebean »

neither command does anything, it just says it cant do anything: "command not found" and returns to the prompt. Not really any output to post here.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Make sure that you run the command in the folder that actually contains vegastrike and vssetup the ./ in the cmd means in this directory.

TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

Ah. I never did make install at all, just move the compiled binaries to ...VegaStrike/bin placed next to ...VegaStrike/data and vs.sh that runs it. Which on default boils down to

Code: Select all

cd ...VegaStrike
bin/vegastrike "mission/main_menu.mission"
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
jhonfilly
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by jhonfilly »

ot sure if this is the right config file but it was in the src folder. i tried pasting it here and the file was way too big. 3x the allowable characters per post so i will either have to upload a txt copy of it or piece it in the next few posts (triple or quadruple post)

i also keep having python errors asking for a python package that doesn't exist even on backports (libpython2.so), it cries about ogre as well even though ogre is present. is there any way to force past the dependencies? i really like this old game and have been wanting to play the privateer mod as well.
shafi