Vegastrike move to GitHub - Proposal

Complaints, compliments, suggestions. Have something to say about vegastrike.sourceforge.net? Here's the place to bring it up.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Re: Vegastrike move to GitHub - Proposal

Post by jackS »

loki1950 wrote:Google Code is just as weird if you get popular and your traffic is high they send you bandwidth bills has happened to a couple of projects.

Enjoy the Choice :)
(FWIW: Google Code is shutting down and basically advises people to move their projects there to GitHub.)

Also fwiw, I poked HellcatV wrt. SourceForge being sold/etc. and I believe he's interested in exploring a move to GitHub. He says he's PM'd Gonzo -- not sure he'll actually show up in the forums aside from that.
(Even if we don't have time for active development, we're rather averse to, for instance, SF's new (or old) owners deciding we're abandoned and turning the release DLs into bundleware or other silliness :-P)

my 2 cents regarding storage/etc. concerns among various hosts (or less than 2 cents because... I just glanced at things briefly over lunch today):
a) Wouldn't worry about storage/BW at GitHub as a first order concern until/unless problems actually arise -- note that VS would be broken up into multiple repositories so that a git-appropriate teams-based access paradigm could be employed
b) If storage/BW concerns of the minor (i.e. thou shalt upgrade thy account as opposed to major=mortgage your house for the bandwidth bill) variety arise, I imagine that the gainfully employed among the elderly post-developer set can manage a few $/month, somehow, to make sure the lights stay on.
c) gitlab seems reasonable, but a cursory glance didn't seem to indicate a particularly better set of offerings. Maybe I'm missing something (I miss a lot these days :) )
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

jackS wrote:He says he's PM'd Gonzo...
Cool. He's been added. 8)
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

pheonixstorm wrote:I was never here, this post is a figment of your imagination. :mrgreen:
:lol:

So. I added hellcatv and the next day the GitHub site was in full bloom. :shock:
JackS and the cat has been busy pulling in packages and organizing the site.
It looks promising indeed. :wink:
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Will be joining you was waiting on some semi-official sanction :oops: Have a account on Bitbucket for MakeHuman's Hg repo so just need to register at Github BTW thanks for the grunt work on this gonzo 8)

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

https://github.com/vegastrike

Status of things a year later.

Well, it's not quite completed. I think most things are there but as it seems not all info on the individual pull requests. You see that as lack of statistics for instance. The built-in import function on GitHub didn't do all necessary actions there. Also the Boost libraries aren't pulled in automatically any longer.
Will be joining you was waiting on some semi-official sanction
Just get on GitHub and bump me.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

Wasn't there some unhealthy motions going on at GitHub?
There were commissars running around to the point of automatically adding some political declaration in ridiculous Duckspeak to projects, and some talks of management blackmail?..
I observed some splashes when they were loud, but didn't pay much attention lately. How all this ended?
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

The funny things I've heard was on SourceForge. (They have since then switched owners...) Where we have our stuff right now.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Just get on GitHub and bump me.
Just created an account as Loki1950 will need to get used to GitHub's usage you have a new follower :D I also use BitBucket for makehuman as I'm a moderator on there forum as well.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

loki1950 wrote:Just created an account as Loki1950
Invitation sent, press accept! :D
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

gonzo wrote:
loki1950 wrote:Just created an account as Loki1950
Invitation sent, press accept! :D

Of course I did :lol: Now I need to set up proper git clients on both sides of the divide and clone the repo have a new box will be adding specs to my sig now have the community version of Visual Studio 2013 no need for the express version any more :mrgreen:

TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

gonzo wrote:The funny things I've heard was on SourceForge. (They have since then switched owners...) Where we have our stuff right now.
Sourceforge simply doesn't have useable download right now. Though repositories still work.
Which is still not the same as being overrun by commissars that presume to control who is on what projects and who is not.

Also, this "but in the NEXT village..!" non-answer already suggests less than shining prospects in this regard.
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

TBeholder wrote:Which is still not the same as being overrun by commissars that presume to control who is on what projects and who is not.
I haven't heard of, or experienced, any of the things you mention. Please provide a link if you think this is of any relevance to Vega Strike.
TBeholder wrote:Also, this "but in the NEXT village..!" non-answer already suggests less than shining prospects in this regard.
I didn't get this.

Do you suggest some other place or that we stay on Sourceforge? I just suggested GitHub because it worked so well for LMMS. It was a real vitamin injection to the project and I thought it could do the same for Vega Strike. That's all.
In the end the work is right now done by Klauss alone, latest commit was 1 day ago, so I guess it's up to him where he wants to do the coding.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

We may still get a few more coders from the GitHub community we do have to be open to them.

Enjoy The Choice :)
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

gonzo wrote:
TBeholder wrote:Which is still not the same as being overrun by commissars that presume to control who is on what projects and who is not.
I haven't heard of, or experienced, any of the things you mention. Please provide a link if you think this is of any relevance to Vega Strike.
I mean The Great Ruby Shitstorm - the whole sordid story around a developer kicked out of Opal for being politically doubleplusungood on twitter, the following codes-of-conduct flamewar (and "Contributor Covenant"), etc.
Also, github removed projects that digi-mao crowd didn't approve, such as "C+="
edit: oh, found a juicy one: see here. So it was not just a bunch of internet-cheerleaders and one manager got loonie and started the shenanigans, or something like that.
They gave up later, but this may mean many things - learned a lesson about paying too much attention to the abyss? retreated for now? who can tell?..
gonzo wrote: Do you suggest some other place or that we stay on Sourceforge? I just suggested GitHub because it worked so well for LMMS.
I'm saying that there are more than two open repository farms. There are gna.org tuxfamily.org savannah.gnu.org bitbucket.org and probably as many or more others.
Why not to consider pros and cons of more than one available option first? SF isn't on fire or something.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

Anyway, SF apparently have stopped drooling and works properly, not counting tiny nuisances.
Though moving from SVN may make sense.
In which case github VS could have a mirror in one direction and an auto-synchronised branch in the other? The more the merrier, and all that.
temporalbeing
Trader
Trader

Post by temporalbeing »

Any progress on this?

I'd love to be able to use the Privateer remake again, and see that going. GitHub seems to be where devs are mostly gathering, though GitLab (aside from their recent administrative foobar) is also generally a good alternative.
Would love to know, and can help out if needed.

FWIW: I've got both SF access (https://sourceforge.net/u/shounin/profile/); I was an SVN admin for 10+ years; and I am daily on GitHub (https://github.com/BenjamenMeyer/) now too - and I'm familiar with various conversions (svn:externals -> git submodules), C/C++ and Python (2.5->3).
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome Ben most of the source code has been cloned to GitHub but not Privateer :( Though I have I have a clone of it's svn repo locally on one of my older boxes so I can burn it to a disc and mail it to you I guess not sure if the binary will run on current OS's though several of libraries we use have had API changes since the last release just PM me if you are interested it the PR source and data.

temporalbeing
Trader
Trader

Post by temporalbeing »

Thanks; is https://github.com/ermo/privateer_wcu is relevant port of the Privateer stuff?

If so I can work from that. Shouldn't be a problem to get it moved over to the VegaStrike GH org. If not, I'll certainly PM you with details so we can make the move.

Thanks,

Ben
Itusa
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Itusa »

Considering the last commit was on Aug 9, 2015... I'd suggest that this hasn't all gone to plan.
Operating System: (Linux) Ubuntu 16.10 (Yakkety)
Vegastrike-taose: 0.5.1
the_mtn_who_glides
Merchant
Merchant

Post by the_mtn_who_glides »

Hi, guys! I'm considering helping out with the coding side of things, on GitHub. I did get the GitHub version of Vega Strike building and running on my Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS x64 machine just today. Had to make a few changes to about 8 files. I would be happy to submit a pull request, if someone wants to add me as a contributor on GH. Username: stephengtuggy

I've been coding for 20+ years, and I do know C, C++, and Python.

One question I do have is: Did you guys ever settle on a set of community guidelines? Those will be important to have, I think.

Thanks!
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Answered in the Compiling forum thread you started :)

pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Vegastrike move to GitHub - Done Deal?

Post by pyramid »

There are two major blockers for this project that I dislike after the move to GitHub.

**First**
There is a proliferation of forked code repositories each with their own code changes and no merge back to the vs repo.
This is beyond not being an acceptable situation. It disrespects the users and coders for their noble intentions, genuine effort and practical contributions.
PROPOSAL: OR merge pull requests quickly OR make the contributors members of the contributor team.

**Second**
Another illness of the open source community are code reviews. Code reviews are fine if you need to track responsibility or for very active projects that require some code stability.
PROPOSAL: Small projects with few commits should adopt and approach of “commit first, review and fix progressively after commit”. Again it should be clear: committers deserve this respect for their work and contributions.

Please find some more detailed reading on those topics here: https://openteq.wordpress.com/2019/04/2 ... t-culture/

P.S.
1 Would appreciate if you would add me to github vegastrike (https://github.com/pyramid3d)
2 A big announcement of the official repo would be great (the move was 2015, I saw still commits from klauss on svn in 2017: https://sourceforge.net/p/vegastrike/code/13731/log/). Ideally thos ewould be merged to github too.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

VegaStrike move to GitHub - Done Deal!

Post by pyramid »

Please see my follow up post https://forums.vega-strike.org/viewtopi ... =1&t=51534 announcing the archiving of the SVN repository on Sourceforge.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Vegastrike Engine GitHub Cleanup

Post by pyramid »

I was thinking:
* The vegastrike-taose code compiles and runs fine on modern Linux (kernel 5.4.14, gcc 9.2.0) while the code from our main engine repo does not even compile, for me at least.
* On top of that many code improvements have been done on the taose and svn forks and never been merged back to the engine repo.
* Maybe it would be better to invert the problem, and
  1. 1 archive/branch the current engine repo code completely
  • 2 import the taose code into our engine repo
  • 3 only then start merging the various forked changes back
Let's dwell on it for a while... 8)
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: Vegastrike Engine GitHub Cleanup

Post by pyramid »

Here's an update on the code merging:

1 archive/branch the current engine repo code completely
* is archived under the 0.5.2-alpha branch

2 import the taose code into our engine repo
* is now the master branch

3 only then start merging the various forked changes back
* this is next on my work list (11 commits from github and 33 commits from svn to be merged