All text superimposed - aspect ratio bug?

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
glenpeters83
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

All text superimposed - aspect ratio bug?

Post by glenpeters83 »

Hi!

Please bear with me, as I'm new at this..

But I'm trying to play Privateer: Gemini Gold (powered by Vega Strike), and I'm having a few problems that I haven't seen before., It's frustrating as hell, because I LOVE this game.. everything 'works', but it's just unplayable at present because of this weird text bug I'm having.

I've played this game before on a regular PC with no problems; had all the controls tweaked by editing the vegastrike.config, so I had at least basic experience tweaking the game.

But now I'm trying to play using an Acer Aspire One netbook, and I think something to do with the screen aspect ratio is screwing up the locations of menu text and such. Any text that's displayed on screen is all in the same place, super-imposed on top of each other. When I'm at a base and viewing equipment, all text is just displayed in one blob, making it unreadable. When I'm flying in space, my speed counter and hud info all form one blob of text in the same location. I've never had this problem on any other machine, so i can only assume it's something to do with the odd aspect ratio of this display.

The native resolution of the thing is 1024x600, which i believe is a 17:10 aspect ratio. Not that I know why this is a problem, but is there any reason that this could cause all the text to bunch up like that? And if so, what do i have to edit to put it all back where it's supposed to be? :/ I've tried editing the vegastrike.config to run in that resolution, but the text is just STILL all in one place..

Any help would be hugely appreciated.. this is driving me crazy.. I just wana go and smuggle some brilliance!!
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: All text superimposed - aspect ratio bug?

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome aboard Glen in the screen resolution block of vegasrike.config each has an aspect variable assigned just below x and y definition lines for your 1024x600 it should be 1.7066666 BTW there is some documentation on the config file on our wiki if that does not work then some other reason has to be found so if it is still borked please post a screen shot of the mess :roll:

ps the team that actually did Gemini Gold broke up about 4 years ago if I remember correctly leaving us to support it they did change quite a bit of the core engine code for the GUI so I'm groping in the dark :oops:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
glenpeters83
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by glenpeters83 »

Hi Loki :)

Thanks for even trying to help me out, haha.. yeah, i trawled around looking for advice on gemini gold specifically, and just couldn't find anything.. when i realised it was last active in sorta 2009, i came here looking for advice on tweaking vegastrike.config.. but yeah, i can fully appreciate that this isn't really the vega strike you'd be used to dealing with!

I've made a small amount of progress, but am no closer to solving the problem. I attached a bunch of screenshots to illustrate all the text being in one place.. you see what i mean? It's like it's forgotten the x and y values of where individual fields of text are 'sposed to go, and so it just pastes them all on top of each other in one place. It doesn't matter whether it's a 'base' or out flying in space; the text is always in the same place. You can see in the last screenshot how it's actually all in the place where my speed gauge is meant to be in the cockpit; it actually looks like the 'set speed' and 'actual speed' values have been put over the top of each other in that particular case.

It has to be something to do with the display on this netbook, because I never had this problem before on a regular display. I set up a specific resolution block in the vegastrike.config for the native resolution of this display, and used the aspect value you gave me.

<!-- #1024x600 -->
<var name="x_resolution" value="1024"/>
<var name="y_resolution" value="600"/>
<var name="aspect" value="1.7066666"/>
<var name="base_max_width" value="800"/>
<var name="base_max_height" value="600"/>
<!-- #end -->

But it just doesn't help.. whatever resolution i run this at, or whether i change my display resolution down to 800x600 to run it, whatever i try, the text has always forgotten where it's supposed to be displayed on screen, and all appears over the top of itself in the one location.

What could be causing this to happen?? Any ideas? It's killing me that this game is so close to being fully playable on this machine.. the graphics look really nice, and it'd be a joy to play if i could just fix this bug that makes it impossible to navigate menus and stuff..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Ah now i think I see what's happening it's what was changed in the GUI code in the main engine the terminals are separate screens those changes BTW are in the Python parts of the code so that is where the digging for clues will be,so no need to recompile :wink: if you find the darn bug just an edit of the relevant python script,and try again.The usual bug squashing technique 8)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2