Windows 8 compatibility

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Windows 8 compatibility

Post by pheonixstorm »

As new as windows 8 is this may not be an issue yet, but if anyone *DOES* have windows 8 we really need to know how VS performs under it.

Does setup.exe work as expected?
Is OpenGL support still up to snuff?
Python seem to run correctly?

Windows 8 seems to be a shift in the wrong direction as for as desktop OS design is concerned... but, there will probably be those out there that will have to use it for one reason or another.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
IansterGuy
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: Windows 8 compatibility

Post by IansterGuy »

I would jump on this right away since I had Windows 8 Developer Preview and Consumer Preview installed before my laptop died. I did run some games like Starcraft2, I had trouble with the corner buttons activating while in game clicking around. I believe I did run Vega Strike and it ran fine on the preview. All I clearly remember is that every driver-less program and game I tried ran fast, and was pretty uneventful, never needed compatibility mode. I think I was was going to post about it on forum but decided it was just a preview. Windows 8 seems to have excellent compatibility but can't be certain unless someone installs the final version.
Since it would cost me $15 to get an upgrade copy of windows 8 for my new PC by January, I will have a copy then and I bet other people will too. Only thing against upgrading is 64bit Sandboxie program isolator doesn't work so I had to use Virtual Box to test untrusted software.
pheonixstorm wrote:Windows 8 seems to be a shift in the wrong direction as for as desktop OS design is concerned...
Actually I kinda liked 8. It gets jerky like XP does when under stress but it runs on lower resources and it started up out of the box one second faster than Ubuntu 12.04 Linux, go figure that coincidence. Windows 8 seems like windows 7 made so lean that behaves like XP; with a Win-RT tablet operating system put in a customizable start screen; and topped off with a right corners activated power menu.
IansterGuy
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by IansterGuy »

Okay, I quickly tried VegaStrike on someone elses computer and it turns out I forgot about a few things that where not working right off the start. First in the tutorial all of the sounds played too soon. So that Oswald was talking on top of his own voice. Also maybe more concerning was that SPEC seemed not to react right. I can't say if anything happened for sure because he just wanted to uninstall it after realizing there where problems with sound. So there is a sound issue, and autopilot SPEC might be not be responsive which is an intermittent problem already, but it loads up fine and displays the graphics fine. Other than that, for further testing I would actually have to buy and install my $15 upgrade copy of Windows 8. I have no reason to yet since my computer is working fine. I wonder if I could trick my my recovery software into installing 2 versions of win7 by hiding the first, and then upgrade the new one.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

IansterGuy wrote:I can't say if anything happened for sure because he just wanted to uninstall it after realizing there where problems with sound.
Now there's a tough user.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Can't speak to VS as yet, but Windows 8 is an odd beast. Some 7 and even XP progs work fine, others not so much. Microsoft every so often decides to design a UI for someone who has never used a computer before while forgetting the millions who have gotten used do doing something in a specific way. Big learning curve, but seems a solid OS.
IansterGuy
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by IansterGuy »

So I installed Windows 8 now and tested VegaStrike 5.1r1 on my own computer and it works perfectly from what I can see from a quick tour around the starting system. Next would be to test the SVN version. I wonder if the dependencies where installed on the other windows 8 computer I had got a test from, where it seemed to have issues. I'm running a dual booted Acer Aspire AX3470EB20P 64bit A6 APU core with discreet Radeon HD 6530D graphics 6GB Ram.
sadhana
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by sadhana »

Hai i am new to this forum.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome aboard sadhana feel free to start a thread when ever you have a question.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
sbloodworth
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by sbloodworth »

OK, so I have just installed VS after following a link from the Star Citizen website. I'm running W8.1.

Firstly, you have to launch as an administrator. Trying to launch as a vanilla user does nothing.
Secondly, as mentioned above, the flight tutorial sounds are faulty - he doesn't finish one instruction before launching into the next one, which is confusing as hell.
Thirdly, trying to configure for joystick use - well, you can't. I'm running a Saitek X52 Pro, and selecting 3-axis joystick with throttle just means that in game the joystick does nothing, and the kb throttle controls now don't work - you cant decelerate from max speed using either backspace or the + or - keys.

This means I pretty much can't get any further into the game to pick up any more issues.

I'm trawling the forums, but with so much info out there I can't find any obvious fixes.

I'll try playing with just kb and mouse, but that really is spoiling the immersion.
Monoend
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by Monoend »

Did anybody had problems with Windows 10? I can't configure things... Should I reinstall?
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

What install issues are you having? Is there anything in the log files?
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
Johantong
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by Johantong »

I have recently run an installation on Windows 10 64-bit and had no problems. What kind of error are you getting? I've ran setup "as administrator" and everything went smoothly
Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

The reason you have to run setup as "admin" is M$ paranoia about it's name we really should rename it but it worked just fine till "Vista"

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2