Shipyard v0.7

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Shipyard v0.7

Post by gonzo »

http://www.blendswap.com/3D-models/vehi ... yard-v0-7/
Found this blender file consisting of spaceship parts and example models released to the public domain.

Edit: v0.6 -> v0.7
Last edited by gonzo on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Re: Shipyard v0.6

Post by pheonixstorm »

Ive seen a few different files that look good there so far. That file you linked is up to .7 though and found a few other versions of it.. waiting for page to load to see if they are just updates or each version has something different.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Shipyard v0.7

Post by charlieg »

Shipyard v0.7 here:
http://www.blendswap.com/3D-models/vehi ... yard-v0-7/

At time of writing, this is the most recent version.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

I've found several good looking ships on there though I wish they had more large transports instead of the sleek fighter/yacht types.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
DaveAshton
Merchant
Merchant

Post by DaveAshton »

pheonixstorm wrote:I've found several good looking ships on there though I wish they had more large transports instead of the sleek fighter/yacht types.
What kind of thing are you thinking of? If you like, I'll see what I can knock up over the next few days.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... :3D_Models contains the list of ships that are supposed to be in the game as well as the status of each one as of the pages last update.

Before I ask anything of you though I think it would be easier to find out what kind of work you can do. Such as high quality models, new space station backdrops, detailed space stations etc.

The biggest thing the project needs is 2d cockpit renders as well as 3d cockpits (the game can handle either) to make flight look better. Anyway, let me know what you can do and what you would like to do and i'm sure I can point you to the resources you need :)
DaveAshton
Merchant
Merchant

Post by DaveAshton »

I think the main thing I could offer would be 3D modelling (ships, bases, cargo containers...). I'll give pretty much anything a go though (except coding...).

I probably couldn't do 2D cockpits very well (I can reposition dials and screens OK, but I wouldn't be able to draw the actual backgrounds with any degree of skill*), 3D cockpits may be possible though depending how they're done.

* Base and planet backgrounds may be a no as well, for the same reason.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

from what ive seen on some of the bases and bars, they are 3d scenes just render into a nice 2d background. I *think*, you might want to look for a few threads on the subject first.

As for 3d cockpits... all i know is the game is setup for them but have no idea how they are supposed to be created.. so you can try to create one render it and use the 2d image for the cockpit same as the base graphics were made (to my knowledge anyway). If you want to try that is. If not, just look through the list I gave you and find something small and/or easy to start with to get the hang of how the VS system works (mesher mostly) or find some models such as the CT3000 from here http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... 4&start=15 there is a link to the psd texture and I think the model itself as well as the discussion which would be of interest. Have to get little one back to sleep so will have to finish post a little later.
DaveAshton
Merchant
Merchant

Post by DaveAshton »

pheonixstorm wrote:from what ive seen on some of the bases and bars, they are 3d scenes just render into a nice 2d background. I *think*, you might want to look for a few threads on the subject first.

As for 3d cockpits... all i know is the game is setup for them but have no idea how they are supposed to be created.. so you can try to create one render it and use the 2d image for the cockpit same as the base graphics were made (to my knowledge anyway). If you want to try that is.
That sounds possible, it should be easy enough to make something in 3D and then just grab a screenshot of it in rendered form to work with.
pheonixstorm wrote: If not, just look through the list I gave you and find something small and/or easy to start with to get the hang of how the VS system works (mesher mostly) or find some models such as the CT3000 from here http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... 4&start=15 there is a link to the psd texture and I think the model itself as well as the discussion which would be of interest. Have to get little one back to sleep so will have to finish post a little later.
It doesn't necessarily need to be small or easy, I just need a few images to work from (the more angles shown the better, so I can get a solid image in my head of the finished product). I built (and edited, changed, sliced, rebuilt, cut, pasted, deleted, built again, added to... etc), textured, and imported the ISD in my other thread from scratch, so actually getting stuff built so should be simple enough if I know what I'm aiming for.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

That sound very good! modelling look nice, very human-ish they can fit LIHW and Purist/iso quite well
are the texturable ready?

Thanks to sharing your work
if you search a starship to model ther is some concept art in the gallery under concept art's sub gallery
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

That sound very good! modelling look nice, very human-ish they can fit LIHW and Purist/iso quite well
are the texturable ready?
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

I forgot that I started this thread.
Starting out with modelling is kind of a slow process. I tried to just pick some parts from the shipyard and use the basic transformation tools and this is what I came up with. It's a start. The first one is probably not realistic to unwrap but I liked the shape.
shipyard.png
shipyard2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Looking good gonzo,from the back end are there engines on this shipyard?

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

loki1950 wrote:Looking good gonzo,from the back end are there engines on this shipyard?

Thanks!

Well, there are some loose engines and then there are hull parts with engines built in.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Ahh! that make sense 8) then adding similar spare parts to the texture might be in order.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

Many models are so elaborate that they become quite difficult to fit in anywhere. Here's an example, the "Fin Hangar". It's a rather odd shape with some sort of grid/radiator and a shuttle bay with open doors and some sort of smaller vessel parked inside...
Personally I would have preferred the focus to be on more basic parts.
over-complex.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Detailed geometry like the radiator is good for baking, though you do need a clean model (with only an approximation of the radiator) for the game to use (and as a baking target)
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

klauss wrote:Detailed geometry like the radiator is good for baking, though you do need a clean model (with only an approximation of the radiator) for the game to use (and as a baking target)
For the normal maps?

What about parts that aren't visible? Do you need to clean out parts of the mesh that is inside the model?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

You can also bake AO maps, or even color.

ie: you use simple textures and "generic" lighting to "bake" a diffuse texture approximating the radiator in low-poly. Add AO and normal map bakes, and you get quite a nice effect.

And yes, it would be nice to avoid unnecessary inner geometry. You don't need to make it perfect, but any poly on the inside is a wasted resource (not to mention the potential for z-fighting artifacts).
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe