Cloud Maps

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Blackbeard
Merchant
Merchant

Cloud Maps

Post by Blackbeard »

Ok, as requested, I've been working on some quality cloud maps. :)

However, I've run into some issues, I am currently searching for some old Pov files on my old computer which had some decent cloud patterns I can reuse.
If I can't find them, it will be quite a while until I have something to post, as cloud textures get harder and harder to pattern the more realistic you want them. :(

Hopefully in a couple more days I will have some results to post.
Blackbeard
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Cloud Maps

Post by Blackbeard »

Update: I have gone through all my old Pov files and can't find the ones I was looking for, so they've either been deleted or overwritten. :(
I am going to ask for help from the Pov community, because clouds really are a tedious work.

If anyone here has some cloud patterns in .pov format please don't hesitate to offer. :wink: On another note, in a couple of days I will be commencing a course at a technological institute, so I will only have a few hours a week to work on the cloud maps. :(
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

With luck, the second time around will come out even better ;)

No rush anyway... just don't forget :p
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Blackbeard
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Blackbeard »

klauss wrote:No rush anyway... just don't forget :p
I haven't, I've just been incredibly busy. :(

I'm currently on holidays from my course, so I will try and see if I can do something on these. However, the work that is involved will take somewhat more time than two weeks, so don't hold your breath. :wink:

As to actually doing them, what would be preferred:

Cloud maps based on simulations of wind patterns and disturbances or,

The earth's cloud map, modified to give the impression of being different.

If the latter, then I'm not the guy for the job. :(
However, I've already begun (mentally) working on the former, but if that's not what's needed then fine. :)

Regards
Blackbeard
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

I would think that simulations would do just fine. In fact, if it were possible to use those simulations to create procedural shaders such that it looks like the planet has dynamic weather would be fantastic! Though even static maps would be great.
Blackbeard
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Blackbeard »

travists wrote:I would think that simulations would do just fine. In fact, if it were possible to use those simulations to create procedural shaders such that it looks like the planet has dynamic weather would be fantastic! Though even static maps would be great.
Dynamic weather wouldn't be so hard, but I think it would be very expensive on graphics, already my card drops to 20fps when atlantis is in full view, and 15fps with earth. Using the simulations to create dynamic weather is actually rather trivial, it just requires a time parameter in the simulation. The real problem is getting the concept in my head onto a computer and converting it to Pov-format. :wink: This has always been my failing with Pov, I just hope I can sort it out fairly quickly.

Anyways, Happy Easter all,

Regards
Blackbeard
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Hi Blackbeard have a look at klauss's planet shader program they are in the ~/programs/planet folder should give you a starting point as they do have some movement of the cloud layers ATM as for the resource demand we have always been a bit heavy in that department (my GPU barely bounces :wink: )

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

If we had (which we don't, but don't let it stop you ;) ) render-to-texture, no matter how expensive the simulation is it could be precomputed and used from then on. Clouds don't move fast enough to warrant computing a new cloudmap every frame.

So, be my guest, do a simulation, code it however you know how to, and we'll try to translate it into C++ or GLSL.

In fact, consider the possibility to use earth's cloud map as a detail map on the simulation. If your simulation doesn't produce as much detail, you can probably fill in the "blanks" (missing detail) by blending earth's cloud map in some clever way.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe