Call For Cargo Images

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Re: Call For Cargo Images

Post by pheonixstorm »

If you find an image you think you can do a better job on or make it look real w/o it just being a photo of something then by all means have at it. If you think you are up for the job though I think we need base images as a higher priority, but whatever you feel like working on is fine :)
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
Blackbeard
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Blackbeard »

Ok, it was just that this topic was top of the list. :)

Could you elaborate as to what you mean by base images? I looked through the wiki and could only find mention of planetary/station bases, and if you want images for those, I'm not sure I'd be up to it, though I'd love to have a go.

As I mentioned here,
I'm currently disabled as regards VS and partially disabled regarding blender, but I can still use Pov,
and that should do for most things.

Regards,
Blackbeard
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

if you have svn downloaded go under /masters/sprites/bases and have a look around. And yes its the images for the planet/station bases. Work on whatever your little netbook can handle though.

Pretty much any image currently in game is fair game if you think you can create something better than what we currently use.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
Blackbeard
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Blackbeard »

pheonixstorm wrote:if you have svn downloaded go under /masters/sprites/bases and have a look around. And yes its the images for the planet/station bases. Work on whatever your little netbook can handle though.

Pretty much any image currently in game is fair game if you think you can create something better than what we currently use.
Cool, I do have svn (just can't play it :( ), and I'll have a good look and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the help.
Blackbeard
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Blackbeard »

Righto, after some fiddling around with Pov, I've come up with a few scene files, and by modifying appropriately, I can do pretty much any planet texture you guys want.

I've done a test planet in Pov, that's fairly typical of what I can do with the code, with variations so I can do rocky, gas, anything really.
Hope the test is a good indicator and that you guys like. The image map and the normal map are both 4096x2048,
I can provide anything up to 65536x32768 :shock: , though I doubt we'll need anything anywhere near that size. :lol:
If you prefer square images though, I can do those as well.
Sphere Image Map Test.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Right now, we're short on quality cloud maps.

Can you do them? They should be mostly white in color, but have a "thickness" value in alpha. Take a look at earth's.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Blackbeard
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Blackbeard »

klauss wrote:Right now, we're short on quality cloud maps.

Can you do them? They should be mostly white in color, but have a "thickness" value in alpha. Take a look at earth's.
Not a problem. All I have to do is set up another file specifically for clouds. :D
Were the clouds in the test image all right as regards texture? Because that would simplify matters somewhat. :wink:

Could you clarify "thickness"? The clouds in the test image were on a separate sphere, which had alpha, but it doesn't really give an indication of thickness. Anyway, I'll have a look at Earth, and post back here.

Actually, is there a separate thread for this sort of thing? Just that this is the "Call for Cargo Images" thread. :?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Feel free to start a new thread.

The clouds there look too much like perlin noise. It probably is. They have to look as if there was a wheather pattern underneath, just take a good look at earth's clouds, you'll notice the difference. My most successful technique to date is to "rearrange" earth clouds manually under some graphics editing program, to make them look different but the same.
Wing Commander Universe
Blackbeard
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Blackbeard »

klauss wrote:Feel free to start a new thread.

The clouds there look too much like perlin noise. It probably is. They have to look as if there was a wheather pattern underneath, just take a good look at earth's clouds, you'll notice the difference. My most successful technique to date is to "rearrange" earth clouds manually under some graphics editing program, to make them look different but the same.
Ok, the clouds I used in the test were just a simple plain single-texture, just a "bozo" pattern with some warp-turbulence, I have a couple of old scene files that had far more complex textures resulting in much more realistic looking clouds, so I'll dig them up. :)

If necessary, I can use The Gimp to do any post-processing, but I think it should be fine. I'll post the results in a new thread later today or tomorrow.
Just one question, what size do you prefer with what colour depth? I was rendering 4096x2048, but I can do square ones, and I can render them with 48-bit colour depth if you want, I don't know of any device that can display the nearly 300 trillion colours though :shock:, but perhaps such images could be useful as "master" images?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

4k x 2k should be fine. And 32bpp should be fine too. (RGBA8). Everything will be coded as DXT5 anyway, which is 16bpp + interpolation, so no need to go overboard with bpps.
Wing Commander Universe
Blackbeard
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Blackbeard »

klauss wrote:4k x 2k should be fine. And 32bpp should be fine too. (RGBA8).
Excellent. :)
Everything will be coded as DXT5 anyway, which is 16bpp + interpolation, so no need to go overboard with bpps.
Well, that's good about the bpps..., but while trying to view earth's cloud map, I found that there were no programs on my computer that could view them. :?
The images showed up as png and jpeg, but even gimp couldn't open them. I was able to view them on a linux machine though, but the two computers are rooms apart, so.. not a good frame of reference. :(

Because of that, I'll just be supplying the PNGs, the encoding will have to be done by someone else, sorry.
But I think I've got a good idea of what is needed.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Don't worry. We want the pngs. And the povray scripts, for the masters repo (so that people can reproduce them, and perhaps build on them).

Compression is a last step done to put them in-game.
We can handle it.

Anyway, for viewing, gwenview can handle them AFAIK.
Wing Commander Universe
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

klauss wrote:Anyway, for viewing, gwenview can handle them AFAIK.
Gwenview, and XnView. GIMP opens and saves with a plugin (gimp-dds).
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
DarkVixen
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by DarkVixen »

(I thought I might add this as a cargo item since I'm working on Aera stuff lately)
01.png
Since Aera have primitive vocal rumblers to communicate with one another, this device can translate those "rumbles" into languages for more complex species and vice versa.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y7dek3fb7burj ... -2.3.blend

PS: I'm not sure where this would be categorized though, possibly under Industrially Manufactured Goods/Electronics. It would not be worth that much, but still somewhat, since translation requires quite a bit technology capability involved.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DarkVixen
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by DarkVixen »

Rlaan Ktek gun for Human hand adaptation
rlaan_ktek_handgun.jpg
I'm not sure if hand weapons would be worth while as cargo or for other use in game, but I worked on this as an experiment when I need to make a prop for another project.

Let me know what you think.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o0tau6ix9rohc ... -1.1.blend

There is a highpoly and lowpoly model within.
ezee
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by ezee »

Let me know what you think.
As always ... :shock:
ah ah ah

You are definitivly a good designer !
A big chance for our little community .

I think i will buy one of these guns in the game as soon as it will be on store .
Thank you !
:wink:

Code: Select all

if (!track.HasWeapons())
            {
                // So what are you going to threaten me with? Exhaustion gas?
                return ThreatLevel::None;
            }
Vegastrike evolved
DEV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Vegastrike evolved wiki