Hardware testing

Development directions, tasks, and features being actively implemented or pursued by the development team.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Hardware testing

Post by pheonixstorm »

What should we test for as considered to be "low-end" for beta 1/2?

Lowest I can go would be a pentium 200 I think. I have an unbuilt PII 350 or 400 dual core I can work with as well. Next up would be a PIII 800 or 900..

Would loading the ship textures as needed instead of all at once make things easier for some older systems?
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: Hardware testing

Post by klauss »

Some kind of memory management would probably help. Right now, textures are never offloaded, which is a problem for low-memory systems.

In any case, I'd consider a slightly-more-than-minimal setup if my old P4: P4 1.7Ghz, 1G ram, discrete GPU GF 6200.

It runs the beta just fine, but it starts to swap a bit if you let it run long enough (nothing seriously impairing though).

Of course, settings aren't maxed out. But they're not at their minimum either.

So we probably could go a bit lower. Integrated graphics works just fine, with lower shader settings. The highest still don't work right, I don't know why, I'm debugging. Though the capabilities are there in modern IGPs, the performance will suck. So, I'd say lower shader settings for IGP.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

So more or less a pentium 233 could run the game if you could have it run with a more modern video card. Thats funny :lol:
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I have used vs with a p3 800mhz, 512 ram, faction textures off and several other memory conservation tactics. It's playable.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe