Autopilot code in config. VS and Priv

This is the location for all mods to collaborate. Anyone making or planning their own mod should post help requests, screen shots and news here.

Moderators: Omega, tillias, Mod Contributor

pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Autopilot code in config. VS and Priv

Post by pheonixstorm »

Can anyone tell me what get swapped between the VS autopilot info in the config and that of Priv? I want to add a switch in the VS config for using the realistic SPEC autopilot and the more enjoyable Privateer style but so far can't figure out what make the engine switch between the two.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: Autopilot code in config. VS and Priv

Post by TBeholder »

Can't say - don't have Priv one. Though after a little digging list of config variables on VSwiki is less incomplete, so try to look for these.
I guess, insystem_jump_or_timeless_auto-pilot and teleport_autopilot cover the main difference, but without others it may or may not be the same.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
Wendy-J
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Wendy-J »

Maybe it's me.

I worked with HellcatV as a play tester and doing a few other odd jobs with the original Privateer Remake mod that uses this engine. I was surprised to see my name is still in the credits at WC-Universe. It doesn't look like they've gone much further than they were in '05. And yes, I'm that Wendy. Most of the old crowd at Privateer Remake have since gone on to PU to try and make a better game, leaving remake at version 1.2. Unfortunately -- for me anyway -- I never really got into the coding aspects of the game. My coding days ended about ten years before Privateer Remake Beta .008 hit the books -- where I started playing with the VS engine. That's, oh, six or seven years ago I'd guess. When I gave up coding and programming, Pascal was still in vogue, home computers used BASIC, C, not C+ or C++ was just coming out and everyone was really excited about AI. Jeez, talk about ancient! Yep, the old biddy is still toying with 'puters, but as a luser, not a programmer.

Anyway, rather than bore you with talking about the good ol' days, let me get to the point.

I tried changing/adding the variables for teleporting with autopilot in vegastrike.config as per the Wiki and only managed to change the display units from light seconds to a sting of numbers ending in two decimal places. I'm still scratching my head over that one. Maybe it's a little quicker, but I'm not so sure about that. It still takes an eternity to get through a patrol mission. I play the game when I have nothing else going, not when I'm doing something else. I'd much prefer to press auto and count to five or ten and I'm there, not go make a cup of coffee and visit the loo, then come in to see that the autopilot has finally engaged and I've -- at very long last -- achieved light speed. I'm all for realism and got a real charge out of it the first few times I watched it. Now I'm sick of the music! I only made it through three missions before quitting -- due to extreme boredom. I'd like to enjoy the game, not stars. Any help would be appreciated.

Wendy

If you're out there Dan, No broken glass this time. =)

I see a few names I'm quite familiar with on the boards and it made me smile to think they're still around.
I'm saddened that others have gone on to other things. We'll miss you.
W.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

I found one spot for it. Its actually in the keyboard config portion.

Code: Select all

<bind key="A" modifier="none" command="AutoKey" />
        <bind key="a" modifier="none" command="AutoKey" />
for Privateer and

<bind key="A" modifier="none" command="ToggleWarpDrive" />
    <bind key="a" modifier="none" command="ASAP" />
for VegaStrike

The real problem is I don't know if those are the ONLY changes I would have to make to get a priv style autopilot working.

It would be nice to combine the priv AP for general travel and manual SPEC for fleeing a furball or to jump on top of your enemy in a hurry. for "A" for one and "a" for another
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

pheonixstorm wrote:I found one spot for it. Its actually in the keyboard config portion.

<bind key="a" modifier="none" command="AutoKey" />
for Privateer and

<bind key="A" modifier="none" command="ToggleWarpDrive" />
    <bind key="a" modifier="none" command="ASAP" />
for VegaStrike

The real problem is I don't know if those are the ONLY changes I would have to make to get a priv style autopilot working.
So, one calls GameCockpit::Autopilot (from vegastrike/src/cmd/ai/flykeyboard.cpp line 305) which controls the ship more directly, and another Order::EnqueueOrderFirst (line 296) with Orders::AutoLongHaul.
Hmm... AutoKey thing uses physics/insystem_jump_or_timeless_auto-pilot variable, but after turning this on AutoKey still doesn't work for me without any message while jump sprites flash everywhere around (can use jump points, so it's not energy).
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
Wendy-J
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Wendy-J »

Man, you guys are as quick as HellcatV was. I expected to wait a day or two.

Now the question becomes: Is the subroutine "Autokey" calls actually there?

Maybe I'll play with it some more today. Give me something to do while I wait to get to the next plannet.

Thanks guys.

W.
Wendy-J
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Wendy-J »

Staring at the code in the VS config file I saw this:

</section>
<section name="physics">
<!-- Note: Tractor duplicated in "graphics" section -->
<var name="tractor.scoop" value="false" />

<var name="VariableFuelConsumption" value="true"/>
<var name="enough_warp_for_cruise" value="2000"/>
<var name="warp_perpendicular" value="80"/>
<var name="warp_orbit_multiplier" value="20"/>

<var name="default_interdiction" value ="0.01"/>
<var name="AsteroidWeaponCollision" value="true"/>
<var name="debug_performance" value="false"/>
<var name="warprampuptime" value="5"/> <!-- in seconds -->
<var name="WarpMemoryEffect" value="0"/>
<var name="warprampdowntime" value=".5"/>
<var name="autopilot_ramp_warp_down" value="false"/>
<var name="warpcruisemult" value="15000"/>
<var name="warpregion0" value="1"/>
<var name="warpcurvedegree" value="1.3"/>
<var name="warpMaxEfVel" value="29202510832.6"/>
<var name="warpregion1" value="5000000"/>
<var name="warpMultiplierMax" value="300000000"/>
<var name="warpMultiplierMin" value="1"/>
<var name="warpbleed" value="50"/>
<var name="minwarpeffectsize" value="100"/>
<var name="maxwarpeffectsize" value="3000"/>

<var name="planet_ejection_stophack" value="100000"/>
<var name="planet_collision_docks" value="false" />
<var name="reactor_uses_fuel" value="true"/>
<var name="unit_collision_docks" value="false"/>
<var name="only_hangar_collision_docks" value="false"/>
<var name="dock_to_area" value="false"/>

Is this the section that controls the lovely vistas I see and get when I wish I were already there?
Wendy-J
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Wendy-J »

Privateer Remake 1.2 had this in the physics section:

<var name="insystem_jump_or_timeless_auto-pilot" value="1"/> <!-- privateer -->
<var name="combat_speed_boost" value="100"/>
<var name="runtime_compactness" value="3.5"/> <!-- privateer -->
<var name="velocity_max" value="10000000"/> <!-- important for Vega Trek!! -->
<var name="warp_energy_multiplier" value="0"/> <!-- privateer -->
<var name="warp_energy_player_multiplier" value="0"/> <!-- privateer -->

The question is: Are these jump values, or auto pilot values?
Wendy-J
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Wendy-J »

Hrm....
Replacing the keybindings gave me a bit more than I hoped for. The following gives you an instant hop to the targeted point. Now to see if I can use a control modifier to allow the two different types of auto pilots.

<!-- an attempt to get a privateer style jump -->
<!--<bind key="A" modifier="none" command="ToggleWarpDrive" />-->
Wendy-J
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Wendy-J »

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best. The following changes my controls to give me BOTH styles of warp travel, spec travel or FTL travel between stars. The " shift + A + ctrl " key combination gives me a coffee/potty break while in flight. The " shift + A " combo gives me instantaneous travel to the target. The normal " a " for auto gives me faster than light travel in a straight line when nothing is targeted. It's Perfect for getting around asteroid fields. Something I wished I had in Privateer and Remake. Maybe I CAN have them. I'll have to play with it and see. My vegastrike config has been modified as follows for those who wish to tinker with this.

<bind key="A" modifier="ctrl" command="ToggleWarpDrive" />

I also have two other modifiers left over from my previous attempts that may well give me the -- BANG! You're alread there! -- effect.

<!-- modified -->
<var name="insystem_jump_or_timeless_auto-pilot" value="true"/>
<var name="teleport_autopilot" value="true"
<!-- modified -->

Thanks for listening. You DID point me in the right direction. I don't know if I like being there as soon as I press a key, but it does speed things up.

As for fleeing a furball, it's my understanding that the spec drive is supposed to dump you OUT of FTL travel whenever you get to an enemy. There's code in the config that specifies you're to drop out of FTL travel when near an enemy. Like the old advert for sauce, "It's in there."

There's this:

<var name="too_close_for_warp_tactic" value="8000"/>

Then, at the tail end of the AI section there's this:

<var name="autodist" value="200"/>
<var name="hostile_auto_radius" value="1000"/>
<var name="neutral_auto_radius" value="00"/>
<var name="friendly_auto_radius" value="0"/>

<var name="autotime" value="2"/>
<var name="YearScale" value="16"/>
<var name="AsteroidDifficulty" value=".1"/>
<var name="NoFuelThrust" value="1"/>
<var name="NoFuelAfterburn" value="0"/>
<var name="nebula_shield_recharge" value=".25"/>
<var name="Drone" value="beholder"/>
</section>

Again, thanks for listening to an old lady moan and complain.

Wendy.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Yeah, when I talked to klauss about this he was telling me that IF we added this into vegastrike that we would need some way to alert the player when they could and could not use the priv AP since it heavily depends on how close a hostile craft is from you while SPEC does not. I'm glad you were able to sorta get it working. I havent had nearly enough time to look it over and work on it.
Wendy-J
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Wendy-J »

You mean like the auto light in a Priv cockpit? Yeah, I guess you would need something. If not, it could become a major irritant for some.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

A message flashed on your HUD as to why autopilot, spec, Jump is not available would be good to. As well as audio ques when "the light comes on".
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Yeah.. theres a lot of things this game needs. The problem is the lack of people to code it in there :(
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Sound cues for events should be easy to code.

If you need some, put them in the feature requests tracker in SF, and I'll get to them as time permits.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Wendy-J
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Wendy-J »

Well.... There is a red warning note that comes up when you want to use it in an asteroid field. ASTEROIDS NEAR! No jump, just the message. It doesn't seem to care if there are hostiles tearing your butt apart. Jump away in the blink of an eye. However, I HAVE had the hostiles follow me. Interesting that. I was getting torn apart, jumped to one of the jump points and as soon as I got there I started getting hammered again. I was dead before I could figure out who was shooting.

I think my BIGGEST issue is that when you have sixty or more ships in system all within radar range and an attack flight of 30 or so Retros or Pirates -- Retros more like -- my frame rates drop to 1, 2, or 3. Try to pilot a plowshare at three frames per second while defending yourself AND while avoiding all the other ships that are darting in front of you.

SPACE IS A HARSH MISTRESS is the next screen you see.

Have fun, all. I'm off to see about getting my AVB Top Shot Pegasus USB ForceFeedback Joystick to work in Mandrivel 2009.1 Yes, Phoenixstorm, I DO enjoy the choice. I have Boo-Boo 10.04 LTS as a dual boot with doze XP on this machine and Mandrivel as my lone and REAL OS on the other machine.

Now if I can just get some force in the thing so I can actually use it and not have to install a legacy sound card for the game port, just so I can use an ancient joystick or a gamepad.

HINT: Any input or advice would be helpful

= )

W.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

I go triple boot Windows 7 is primary, but also have XP and Ubuntu (though recent updates have my primary as linux now until I can fix grub. Not sure what to say about the stick.. try the forum search or google it. I'm sure theres an answer somewhere out there.

As for the fps drop.. whats the hardware specs and which priv mod are you using? PPU?
Wendy-J
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Wendy-J »

No laughing...
I'm serious! I was known at remake for having one of the lowest end systems out there for a test-bed. This thing's from 2005.

It's an HP Compaq with a 3 GHz Dual Core Pentium 4
Intel 82865G Integrated Graphics Chipset with 128mb SHARED System Ram. It MIGHT have 256MB shared, but I don't think so. I'd have to run a check on it, but the way I understand it, it's at 128MB.
1G Overall DDR-II Memory in a Dual Channel configuration. I can get you the specs, but I THINK the RAM chips are .70 ns chips.

In Ubuntu (Boo-Boo) 10.04 LTS, the frame rate is impossible (Zero and One with Three being the highest) since the last Xorg (X-Windows.org) update, so I have been playing it in doze XP with all the latest updates. Not sure what Service pack they're up to these days. With how they update it I'd guess, what? 197? (smirk)

VS core game, version 0.5.0 (latest stable. Been thinking about going to 0.5.1, although I DO have my old 0.4.3 STILL on the machine. It doesn't do any better.)

I have the game configured as follows:

512MB + 1GB Swap. (With Privateer Remake 1.2, I use the 640 MB RAM setting) I've tried 512MB Swap and it didn't seem to make a difference in game play
Medium Game Play -- I get waxed every time someone comes out with guns if I run it on the relaxed setting.
All Sound
Low Vol
Medium Detail (any lower and it's not worth playing -- not that it helps with the frame rate)
NO Shader support
1024 x 768 even though my monitor resolution is 1680 x 1050 or better for web surfing.
32bit colour Full Screen

I do better playing it with my Mandrivel 2009.1 box, but that's an even LOWER end system although it DOES have a rather nice nVidia TForce (that's not a typo) 6100 chipset, the GeForce set but for Biostar boards, built into it. However the processor is only an Athlon Sempron 1.6 GHz creeper with 1GB DDR-I RAM. However, that box is the house's video server and when I'm playing VS or any other games on it, the lag time for file serving is the pits.

I have a few OLDER systems, if you can believe it or not. However, those are more board and components spread out on a desk than they are a box. One runs doze 98 and another with doze 2k. Both are 450MHz Athlons. My cases have been pressed into use with these OLD boards and machines. I suppose I could run an older version of Linux on them if I had larger hard drives. I DO have some old versions of Red Hat and Mandrake in the drawer.

Wendy
Wendy-J
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Wendy-J »

pheonixstorm wrote:I go triple boot Windows 7 is primary, but also have XP and Ubuntu (though recent updates have my primary as linux now until I can fix grub.
It's an EASY fix in Mandrivel. WIth Boo-Boo, you have to edit your what? menu.lst? I could get you the specs easy enough. I was futzing with my Mandrivel box to get the JS working with force the way it does in doze and ran across it. I assume you chainload the doze versions? Try looking at this link:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubH ... eDefaultOS

EDIT:

Heck, after reviewing that, it seems almost as easy as answering my dumb questions, although I'd have to say it's not as interesting.
Well, hey, I AM the most important person to me.

Paste a copy of your menu.lst file here and I'll edit up a copy that should work for you.

Thanks for all the help,
Wendy
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

What's the glxinfo output on that Intel 82865G IGP?

I'm thinking it should do more than 1fps.
Not stellar, but more than 1fps.
Wing Commander Universe
Wendy-J
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Wendy-J »

All right. I've got it, but it's a lot of data.

root@FRED-Mini-2:/home/vegastrike-0-5-0# glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:
    GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, 
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer, 
    GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGI_swap_control, 
    GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, 
    GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
client glx version string: 1.4
client glx extensions:
    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context, 
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_MESA_allocate_memory, 
    GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer, GLX_MESA_swap_control, 
    GLX_MESA_swap_frame_usage, GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_OML_sync_control, 
    GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_SGI_video_sync, 
    GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, 
    GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap
GLX version: 1.2
GLX extensions:
    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context, 
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer, 
    GLX_MESA_swap_frame_usage, GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_SGI_make_current_read, 
    GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, 
    GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group, 
    GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap
OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 865G GEM 20091221 2009Q4 x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 7.7.1
OpenGL extensions:
    GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_ARB_copy_buffer, 
    GL_ARB_draw_buffers, GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex, 
    GL_ARB_half_float_pixel, GL_ARB_map_buffer_range, GL_ARB_multisample, 
    GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object, GL_ARB_point_parameters, 
    GL_ARB_point_sprite, GL_ARB_provoking_vertex, GL_ARB_shader_objects, 
    GL_ARB_shading_language_100, GL_ARB_shading_language_120, GL_ARB_sync, 
    GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_ARB_texture_compression, 
    GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_ARB_texture_env_add, 
    GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, 
    GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat, 
    GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, 
    GL_ARB_vertex_array_object, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, 
    GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_ARB_window_pos, 
    GL_EXT_abgr, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_EXT_blend_color, 
    GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, 
    GL_EXT_blend_logic_op, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, 
    GL_EXT_cull_vertex, GL_EXT_copy_texture, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, 
    GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit, GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_EXT_fog_coord, 
    GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, 
    GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, 
    GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object, GL_EXT_point_parameters, 
    GL_EXT_polygon_offset, GL_EXT_provoking_vertex, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, 
    GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, 
    GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_EXT_subtexture, GL_EXT_texture, GL_EXT_texture3D, 
    GL_EXT_texture_cube_map, GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp, 
    GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3, 
    GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, 
    GL_EXT_texture_object, GL_EXT_texture_rectangle, GL_EXT_vertex_array, 
    GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1, GL_APPLE_client_storage, 
    GL_APPLE_packed_pixels, GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object, 
    GL_ATI_blend_equation_separate, GL_IBM_multimode_draw_arrays, 
    GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip, GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, 
    GL_INGR_blend_func_separate, GL_MESA_pack_invert, GL_MESA_ycbcr_texture, 
    GL_MESA_window_pos, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_NV_light_max_exponent, 
    GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil, GL_NV_texture_rectangle, 
    GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_NV_vertex_program, GL_NV_vertex_program1_1, 
    GL_OES_read_format, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_SGIS_texture_border_clamp, 
    GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp, GL_SGIS_texture_lod, GL_SUN_multi_draw_arrays

72 GLX Visuals
   visual  x  bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer  ms  cav
 id dep cl sp sz l  ci b ro  r  g  b  a bf th cl  r  g  b  a ns b eat
----------------------------------------------------------------------
0x21 24 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x22 24 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xbd 24 tc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xbe 24 tc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xbf 24 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xc0 24 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xc1 24 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xc2 24 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xc3 24 tc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xc4 24 tc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xc5 24 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xc6 24 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xc7 24 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xc8 24 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xc9 24 tc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xca 24 tc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xcb 24 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xcc 24 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xcd 24 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xce 24 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xcf 24 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xd0 24 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xd1 24 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xd2 24 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xd3 24 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xd4 24 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xd5 24 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xd6 24 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xd7 24 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xd8 24 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xd9 24 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xda 24 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xdb 24 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xdc 24 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xdd 24 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xde 24 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xdf 24 dc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xe0 24 dc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xe1 24 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xe2 24 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xe3 24 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xe4 24 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xe5 24 dc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xe6 24 dc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xe7 24 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xe8 24 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xe9 24 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xea 24 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xeb 24 dc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xec 24 dc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xed 24 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xee 24 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xef 24 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xf0 24 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xf1 24 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xf2 24 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xf3 24 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xf4 24 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xf5 24 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xf6 24 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xf7 24 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xf8 24 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xf9 24 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xfa 24 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xfb 24 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xfc 24 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xfd 24 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xfe 24 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xff 24 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x100 24 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x101 24 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x5c 32 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None

96 GLXFBConfigs:
   visual  x  bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer  ms  cav
 id dep cl sp sz l  ci b ro  r  g  b  a bf th cl  r  g  b  a ns b eat
----------------------------------------------------------------------
0x5d  0 tc  0 16  0 r  .  .  5  6  5  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x5e  0 tc  0 16  0 r  .  .  5  6  5  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x5f  0 tc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x60  0 tc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x61  0 tc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x62  0 tc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x63  0 tc  0 16  0 r  .  .  5  6  5  0  0 16  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x64  0 tc  0 16  0 r  .  .  5  6  5  0  0 16  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x65  0 tc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0 16  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x66  0 tc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0 16  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x67  0 tc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0 16  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x68  0 tc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0 16  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x69  0 tc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x6a  0 tc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x6b  0 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x6c  0 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x6d  0 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x6e  0 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x6f  0 tc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x70  0 tc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x71  0 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x72  0 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x73  0 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x74  0 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x75  0 tc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x76  0 tc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x77  0 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x78  0 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x79  0 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x7a  0 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x7b  0 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x7c  0 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x7d  0 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x7e  0 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x7f  0 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x80  0 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x81  0 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x82  0 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x83  0 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x84  0 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x85  0 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x86  0 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x87  0 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x88  0 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x89  0 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x8a  0 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x8b  0 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x8c  0 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x8d  0 dc  0 16  0 r  .  .  5  6  5  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x8e  0 dc  0 16  0 r  .  .  5  6  5  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x8f  0 dc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x90  0 dc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x91  0 dc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x92  0 dc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x93  0 dc  0 16  0 r  .  .  5  6  5  0  0 16  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x94  0 dc  0 16  0 r  .  .  5  6  5  0  0 16  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x95  0 dc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0 16  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x96  0 dc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0 16  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x97  0 dc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0 16  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x98  0 dc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0 16  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x99  0 dc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x9a  0 dc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x9b  0 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x9c  0 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x9d  0 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x9e  0 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x9f  0 dc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xa0  0 dc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xa1  0 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xa2  0 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xa3  0 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xa4  0 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xa5  0 dc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xa6  0 dc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xa7  0 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xa8  0 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xa9  0 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xaa  0 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xab  0 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xac  0 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xad  0 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xae  0 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xaf  0 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xb0  0 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xb1  0 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xb2  0 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xb3  0 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xb4  0 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xb5  0 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xb6  0 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xb7  0 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xb8  0 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xb9  0 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xba  0 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xbb  0 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xbc  0 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow

root@FRED-Mini-2:/home/vegastrike-0-5-0# 

<--shrugs>
I was going to cut it, but with a nice little code box, why not list it all?

If you can make heads or tails of it, have at it. some people like interesting problems. I just like making the boxen work. That's easy by comparison.

In the event you were wondering...
FRED = Fantastically Ridiculous Electronic Device
Mini = Slim-Line Desk Top Variant
2 = second such machine on the Net.

With anywhere from six to ten computers on the in-house Net, it can get confusing.

W.
Wendy-J
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Wendy-J »

Maybe I should load VS on my Netbook to see how it runs. That only has a 10" monitor, but it's at least 600 pixels high. I should be able to run it in windowed mode at 640 x 480 or so. Heck, it's got a faster processor than my Mandrivel box. That was a Kringle gift a year or two ago and sits on my night stand. When I can't sleep, I watch anime on it. Bloody thing has a better hard drive than this Boo-Boo box and with all the USB ports & enabled video port I can even use my regular monitor, joystick, regular mouse and full sized keyboard. Before I got the ancient 2.8GHz MooCow Pentium 4 single Core 'puter that sits in the living room using the television as a monitor -- the main video client -- I used the netbook as the main video client for the living room.

I COULD split the 2Gig RAM in that with the mini I've been running VS on. Then each machine would have 1.5 Gig RAM and I could up the game specs. Tell me, can I edit the vs config file to use 640MB Ram and either 1Gig or 512MB Swap? That might help SOME.

W.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Wendy-J wrote:All right. I've got it, but it's a lot of data.
Thanks.
Very puzzling, it's using DRI, so it should be using hardware acceleration. But the performance is horrible, maybe that's just how it is for that particular IGP.

I'll google it ;)

Wendy-J wrote:I was going to cut it, but with a nice little code box, why not list it all?

If you can make heads or tails of it, have at it. some people like interesting problems. I just like making the boxen work. That's easy by comparison.
Not that difficult to understand it once you know where to look.
Wendy-J wrote: In the event you were wondering...
FRED = Fantastically Ridiculous Electronic Device
Mini = Slim-Line Desk Top Variant
2 = second such machine on the Net.

With anywhere from six to ten computers on the in-house Net, it can get confusing.
You'll have to rename it. Because I have an even more ridiculous electronic device still in operation.

P3 1Ghz 256M ram with an ATI 9800.
And it does run VS.

P-pro 200Mhz 128M ram, impressively reliable beast, SCSI disks, RAID. Mattrox millenium GPU. Doesn't run VS ;-)

Now that is a FRED.
Wing Commander Universe
Wendy-J
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Wendy-J »

klauss wrote:
You'll have to rename it. Because I have an even more ridiculous electronic device still in operation.

P3 1Ghz 256M ram with an ATI 9800.
And it does run VS.

P-pro 200Mhz 128M ram, impressively reliable beast, SCSI disks, RAID. Mattrox millenium GPU. Doesn't run VS ;-)

Now that is a FRED.
Aw...How cute. Remember the Star Trek film where Scotty shows 20th Century Earth transparent Aluminium? Computer.... Computer.... Oh! A Keyboard. How quaint!
I wasn't going to get into those. I STILL have my FIRST 486 MoBo. The issue is finding drivers to go with the hardware that still works. It's an old Intel 486 slc50 with 10MB RAM. It won't run w98 worth a darn it's so slow. Then there's the Pentium 90, the Pentium 100, the Cyrix 100, the Cyrix 150 and so on. I STILL have some of those. As I said, the issue becomes the drivers. I left those in storage when I moved here. My husband teaches video production at the local college and we don't expect to be here for more than another year. Then it's either back home, or on to the next -- read BETTER -- school where I'll get those things out of hock. I only brought the machines that can still surf the Internet in graphics mode. <giggle> Yes, I was around when it was ARPA and DARPA, and Commodore was JUST coming out with a GUI environment called GEOS. Remember that? Shortly after that, Apple came out with the Mac and IBM its 8088, NOT the 8086. At the time, I was running a VIC-20.

Sadly, I no longer have those. However, I DO have my first 486. I just can't find ISA boards and drivers for the hard drive architecture of today. It STILL boots to floppy.

Back to the topic at hand...
Is the config file that different in Linux as it is from doze? I can't seem to get the AutoKey function working when I run VS in Linux.

[EDIT]

I should say Boo-Boo Linux. It runs fine in Mandrivel Linux.

[/EDIT]

I ought to try running the doze config under wine to see if it'll go. That means configuring wine. <sigh> I wanna go to Miami! How's that for a whine?

Could I copy the config file from the doze install into the Linux install? Hrm.... Not a bad thing to try. Easy too. Just rename a few files copy and past and it's done.

More puzzling still, now my joystick is causing conflicts. Remember the days when we had to assign IRQs and DMAs? In a way, I miss manual configurations. Plug and Play made life simpler AND harder. I'll have to locate the logs, then open Xorg.config to see what the issue is. I locked up tight exiting VS. It happened when I cycled the power button on the joystick. The keyboard lights started flashing at me telling me there was an I.O. Error and that there was no means of sending instructions to the system. Forced a very unclean reboot. At least it didn't cause any file corruption.

Thanks for looking at things.
Very puzzling, it's using DRI, so it should be using hardware acceleration. But the performance is horrible, maybe that's just how it is for that particular IGP.
[EDIT]

Well, this latest attempt was painful, more-so with mouse performance while on base than anything else. After launch, I was getting frame rates between 0 and 7. I reached 8 once. Still, it was very jerky and reminded me of when I was in battle conditions with 30 or more Retros attacking the base under doze.

[/EDIT]

It ran fine [EDIT] -- very much like it does under doze -- [/EDIT] until I did an update that included Xorg. Ever since, game performance has been in the toilet. I can't seem to find a way to rollback the update, either.

[EDIT]

Short of an O/S reinstall from DVD and manual -- SELECTIVE -- updates. That can get dirty when you have some files depending on updates that don't happen in other subsystems.

[/EDIT]

Well, off to play. Sometimes getting it to run is more fun than the game itself.

Wendy
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Wendy-J wrote:Yes, I was around when it was ARPA and DARPA, and Commodore was JUST coming out with a GUI environment called GEOS. Remember that? Shortly after that, Apple came out with the Mac and IBM its 8088, NOT the 8086. At the time, I was running a VIC-20.
I think I still have my old commodore 128, only I don't have a PSU for it.
Wendy-J wrote:Back to the topic at hand...
Is the config file that different in Linux as it is from doze? I can't seem to get the AutoKey function working when I run VS in Linux.
The config isn't different, but SDL in linux sometimes has a hard time picking up certain key modifiers, or key-modifier combinations, so some key bindings are impossible to hit in linux, depending on the keymap being used.

We really should ship two preconfigured key bindings at least: linux and windows.

About performance... perhaps your X.org doesn't have the DRI module loaded?
You could avoid a lot of trial and error by looking the messages in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Wing Commander Universe