Release time?

Development directions, tasks, and features being actively implemented or pursued by the development team.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Release time?

Post by charlieg »

Keep things fresh. Do a new release. There seems to have been plenty of bug squashing going on.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Re: Release time?

Post by pheonixstorm »

well i can do a windows release.. but who can do a linux release??

Not ready for a new release just yet though. Still have a few more things to tweak/fix first.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Just post a .tar.gz for Linux users and encourage the community to do it.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

One serious bug down... now for the data tweaks and maybe some new unit integrations (and asteroids maybe).
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Heres the art list.

Needs integration:
AIDI
Asteroids
BEAUVOIR
Ox retexture
Reindeer

Possibles:
CT1000
CT2000 (improved model)
CT3000

As far as the models go I think thats everything that is ready but hasnt made it into the game yet. I'm rumaging through the masters and the art forum looking for incomplete models that we have wings or blend files for so they can be completed, textured, or reworked if finished and seriously out of date.

Data tweaks will include a change to the rescue mission payout (21k each mission) so that it will be a variable payout just like all the other missions. I'm thinking minimum 25k max 75k credits.

I'm still looking into a few other bugs though I don't think I will be able to fix them myself (such as the Fedora segfault). Right now my system is limited to windows XP, 7, and Ubuntu.

Other possible project: Rebuilding the launcher app. I think we can use it to autoupdate VS data files and maybe new binaries (probably just windows for now).
Might also test running the vs binary through UPX and see if it can be compressed at all to try and shave a little space off. Useful later when we do a complete repack for the next big release.

Any other ideas anyone?
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

It is great to see some activity. If you can get through the list you've just mentioned, it is a good update.

The launcher app would be great but I wouldn't block a release for it as it sounds like a significant endeavour.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

pheonixstorm wrote: Any other ideas anyone?
Lower the thrust and torque values on strike craft so they aren't so unplaybable and impossible.

30 Gs is ten times what the space shuttle pulls, and about thirty times the thrust output of an F-22. Not good for the combat flight sim aspect of the game.

The ability to buy heavier warships like corvettes would be nice too. Currently there's no purchasable combat options between the size of the goddard (100 meters) and the clydesdale (2000 meters).
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

charlieg wrote:It is great to see some activity. If you can get through the list you've just mentioned, it is a good update.

The launcher app would be great but I wouldn't block a release for it as it sounds like a significant endeavour.
VS already has a launcher app, its just not used. Not sure why as it had a few nice features. One of which was calling setup, another was loading user configured mission files (iirc). The autoupdate feature though... well that may be fairly easy if gtk is as easy to code as QT is.

My MPLDemo app has a non functional autoupdate function coded into it.. or I should say a bugged autoupdate feature. Something I really should fix so I can get a complete demo app out for the toolset.

@Deus - Do you have any free time to work on a model for me? Will have to find which one it was but overall the work shouldnt take long (I hope) as it is completed but untextured. If i'm thinking of the right one.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

pheonixstorm wrote: @Deus - Do you have any free time to work on a model for me? Will have to find which one it was but overall the work shouldnt take long (I hope) as it is completed but untextured. If i'm thinking of the right one.
The Lemma? Do you have a copy of the model?
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Didnt get that far.. but as great as that model looks sure start with that one if you want.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Oh. So which model did you have in mind then?

I can take a look and see what it will need to be brought up to spec.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Going through all the models that have been released it seems a few are finished but have no textures.. hows that for quality releasing :(

Anyway, if your up for it do the lemma Deus. I'm going to try texturing the new file travis did (gun or rocket battery.. havent looked) to try and get a feel for it so I can work on texturing some of the others that need it.

hmm... I wonder if we can pull off beta 2 by halloween and beta 3 by x-mas. That would be nice :)
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

On closer inspection it turns out the Lemma did get textured by its creator already. Unfortunately it doesn't look like any of the files were ever posted.

Some day I need to wrap up my model for the Consequence...

(6,500 faces at the pictured level of detail.)
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

yeah, I think a lot of the models missing textures are like that. Complete and textured but someone forgot to upload the textures with the model...
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

I tried to send the Lemma's creator a PM requesting his latest model and texture sources, but the forum software isn't cooperating. I haven't been able to send PMs for the last few days or so. So anyway, if you can you should send him a message, because looking at that thread he seemed very close to finished. If you can get the model and layered texture file, it might be easily possible to break it into the necessary shader maps.

BTW, on the same Lemma thread, fendorin posted his texture files for the Determinant fighter model. If you don't have those already you should download them, and if you have the new determinant model they go with then that is something else for your next release build.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

I sent him an email. Not sure what is up with the PMs.. I can use them locally and on the tools forum/project and it is setup the same as here.
BTW, on the same Lemma thread, fendorin posted his texture files for the Determinant fighter model. If you don't have those already you should download them, and if you have the new determinant model they go with then that is something else for your next release build.
And not, dont have the textures.. divshare link doesnt work either. Do you by chance have them, or anyone else perhaps?