VS 0.5.0 Keyboard doesn't work in cockpit

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
MoscowModder
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

VS 0.5.0 Keyboard doesn't work in cockpit

Post by MoscowModder »

Everything seems to work fine until I get into my ship. When that happens, nothing works except the mouse. I can turn around and look everywhere and fire my lasers, but I can't move, target, or do anything at all with the keyboard. I'm running Windows 7 on a Fujitsu Lifebook with the following settings changed: medium graphics; mouse warp, no mouse, or mouse glide; medium shader; no joystick.

What's wrong here?
DaveAshton
Merchant
Merchant

Re: VS 0.5.0 Keyboard doesn't work in cockpit

Post by DaveAshton »

Have you checked your Caps Lock?

One time when I thought my keyboard had stopped interacting, it turned out I'd just hit Caps Lock at the same time as going for Shift. Other than that, I've no idea.
MoscowModder
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by MoscowModder »

I highly doubt it. I couldn't have hit it by accident when I started typing shortly afterwards.
MoscowModder
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by MoscowModder »

Oh, and one more thing - when I typed in the name of my save file, the "I" didn't work. I typed the name "First" and it came up as "Frst". What's up with that??
philo
Explorer
Explorer

Post by philo »

Your nick suggests that you might possibly be using a Russian keyboard. Is that the case?
Star Pilot

Post by MoscowModder »

Good idea, but no I am not using a Russian keyboard.
MoscowModder
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by MoscowModder »

Sorry to bring this up again, but I'd really like this problem solved. Does anyone know how I could fix this?
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Alt tab or ctrl alt del work? Are you running in full screen or windowed mode? 32 or 64 bit OS
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

After nosing around a bit I found that this is a bug with SDL and not with VS. Another bug that goes along with this is that SDl will not additionaly release the mouse when you get to the desktop. At least thats what has been posted on the SDL site for windows 7. I do not know if it also affects XP or vista as well. There is a patch attached to the bug report that I will be adding into the current svn hopefully today. Need to look and see if I can add it directly to svn or if I will need to recompile the SDL library. So, hopefully next binary release will have this fixed :)

*EDIT* heres the link to the SDL bug page http://bugzilla.libsdl.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1034
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Its fixed. Uploading to svn now so by the time you check this thread I should be done. Enjoy!
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Good work phoenixstorm.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
MoscowModder
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by MoscowModder »

Glad you finally found and fixed the bug! Before I try out the new SVN, is there a way to download it for play-only features? Or am I stuck with either getting a developer-oriented client, building the game myself, or else waiting for the next beta?
philo
Explorer
Explorer

Post by philo »

The Windows SVN version isn't that "developer oriented": it contains only a small SVN overhead (which you can ignore or even delete if you wish to never update - not recommended, though) and else is immediately and perfectly playable out of the box.

I hate to say it, but I'm a bit doubtful as to whether this 'bug' will have been fixed after all.
I was the one who reported that SVN "desktop bug" (which has indeed been resolved by the last update). But that was exclusively a bug in SVN. Before encountering it, I had played 0.5.0 for weeks without any issue whatsoever. If both bugs were related to the same SDL issue, wouldn't one expect me to have suffered from it under 0.5.0 as well?
On another note: was 0.5.0 already SDL enhanced at all? I'm not even sure.

But then: you can't lose by testing the SVN. Depending on your hardware, make sure to set shader settings quite low, that's all you need to bear in mind. Who knows: even if it's uncertain that the current SDL update did indeed fix the issue, it could already have been fixed by another one of the numerous updates in those past 3 years.
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

.5.0 and .5.1 used 2 different versions of SDL. I will have to see if I have .5 installed and check what version that game used but the current sdl.dll is 1.2.14

I checked .5 and it used 1.2.11 so not sure were the bug poped up in the different SDL versions.

And for you oh doubting one
details: http://hg.libsdl.org/SDL/rev/090d764c56e4
changeset: 5877:090d764c56e4
user: Ryan C. Gordon <icculus at icculus.org>
date: Fri Sep 09 00:48:53 2011 -0400
description:
Removed WIN_GetKeyboardState().

It causes problems on modern Windows, when a player ALT-Tab's out of a window.
When they ALT-Tab back, the keystate gets confused.

Fixes Bugzilla #659.
Its fixed, and it wasn't a problem with VS :) Same with that damned sound bug I had to hunt down...
MoscowModder
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by MoscowModder »

Yay, it finally works! Now all I have to do is figure out what the heck I'm doing out in space...
philo
Explorer
Explorer

Post by philo »

All's well that ends well :)