configure: error: Cannot find GL/glut.h

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
eracc
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

configure: error: Cannot find GL/glut.h

Post by eracc »

Hi all. Just downloaded SVN of VS and trying to build. I have '/usr/include/GL/glut.h' but ./configure says "configure: error: Cannot find GL/glut.h" so where is it trying to find this?

My config.log is attached to this message instead of pasting the entire freakishly long thing here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.eracc.com/ - Linux, Unix, eComStation (Get rid of proprietary Microsoft and Apple!)
Custom Built, Preloaded PCs, Workstations and Servers - Business, Home and Gamer systems
My custom built Linux Gamer/Personal/Business box: Mageia Linux on - ASUS M4A78, 4GB RAM (Linux "sees" 3.2 GB with a 32-bit kernel), AMD Phenom Quad-core @ 2.6GHz, Radeon X1650 Pro PCIe, "sda" 250GB WD2500AAKS-0, "sdb" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdc" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdd" 500GB ST3500418AS, "xfs" file system on all but the / partition which is using "ext4".
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Re: configure: error: Cannot find GL/glut.h

Post by chuck_starchaser »

I have glut.h in,

Code: Select all

/usr/include/GL/glut.h
though, I'm not sure who or what puts it there; I'm a linux newbie; I would assume at some point I must have installed some opengl lib or something that did it.
By the way, the right configure line is,

$ ./configure --disable-debug --enable-release
eracc
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by eracc »

chuck_starchaser wrote:I have glut.h in,

/usr/include/GL/glut.h
though, I'm not sure who or what puts it there; I'm a linux newbie; I would assume at some point I must have installed some opengl lib or something that did it.
In my case the /usr/include/GL/glut.h was installed with the libmesaglut3-devel package. I do have the file and it is in the correct location. No clue why ./configure does not see it.
chuck_starchaser wrote:By the way, the right configure line is,

Ah, well, perhaps this URL needs to be fixed then: http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... e_from_SVN That is where I got the ./configure string I used.
http://www.eracc.com/ - Linux, Unix, eComStation (Get rid of proprietary Microsoft and Apple!)
Custom Built, Preloaded PCs, Workstations and Servers - Business, Home and Gamer systems
My custom built Linux Gamer/Personal/Business box: Mageia Linux on - ASUS M4A78, 4GB RAM (Linux "sees" 3.2 GB with a 32-bit kernel), AMD Phenom Quad-core @ 2.6GHz, Radeon X1650 Pro PCIe, "sda" 250GB WD2500AAKS-0, "sdb" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdc" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdd" 500GB ST3500418AS, "xfs" file system on all but the / partition which is using "ext4".
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

eracc wrote:
chuck_starchaser wrote:By the way, the right configure line is,

Ah, well, perhaps this URL needs to be fixed then: http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... e_from_SVN That is where I got the ./configure string I used.
Actually, would you fix it? I've lost editing access to the wiki since we moved to phpBB3, due to the underscore in my name (the wiki sees the underscore and thinks that it originated as a space, or something along the lines). You should be able to log in with the same oozer name and pax sword as you use in the forum.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Actually, we should fix configure to have a proper release build by default (instead of a debug build).

Linux savvies know the "./configure && make && sudo make install" line, and type it even without thinking.

(ie: not so savvy of them ;) )

Anyway, ./configure should be enough and it's not.

Look at this in your config.log:

configure:9683: checking GL/glut.h usability
configure:9683: g++ -c       conftest.cpp >&5
In file included from conftest.cpp:149:
/usr/include/GL/glut.h:18:20: error: GL/glu.h: No such file or directory
Seems your glut.h is somehow broken.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
eracc
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by eracc »

Interesting catch there klauss. It appears that GL/glu.h is in a different development package from libmesaglut3-devel:

[root@era4 ~]# urpmf GL/glu.h
mingw32-w32api:/usr/i586-pc-mingw32/sys-root/mingw/include/GL/glu.h
root:/usr/share/root/cint/cint/include/GL/glu.h
root:/usr/share/root/cint/cint7/include/GL/glu.h
libmesaglu1-devel:/usr/include/GL/glu.h
Meaning the libmesaglu1-devel package of course. However, that package was installed but the file did not exist on my drive. I removed and reinstalled the package and now the file shows up. Some gremlins got it before I think.
eracc
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by eracc »

Okay, that solved the problem. It is now make(ing). We'll see if I can get a build now. Thanks folks. :)