Alien Artwork

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Re: Alien Artwork

Post by charlieg »

These images really should go into the concept art gallery.

It's a shame there are so many dead links in this thread. :(
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Some concept about Alien are in the SVN repository
They must be in the Gallery
i will try to find time for do it

(but for the new concept we are stuck as you know because nobody can get approval from.... nobody, i guess the ministery leave his governement without byebye....)

Maybe i will do it for him we will see how happen the things.....
and i m agree with the deus siddis proposal to reduce the number of vessel for a new task list
i always though, the first step must be creating a clear and visual manual of art ... i m working on the Andolian one.. we will see.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

a gentle and funny " depend of your mood" Klk'K pilot
Last edited by Fendorin on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Heheh, very nice. :D
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Thanks!!! :D
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Re:

Post by Turbo »

jackS wrote:Your Shaper is wearing too much clothing. Shapers tend to wear extremely minimal clothing. What clothing they do tend to wear either
A) has utility (pockets and loops and other such things are very useful)
B) is something they grew themselves and wish to show off
C) much to Shaper annoyance covers up portions of their bodies for the sake of interacting with more restrictive cultures (The Shapers think their bodies are works of art by default)
I made this image while on a business trip last fall, then totally forgot about it until I saw this thread again. Here is my understanding of a shaper garment: carbon fiber mesh to provide heat on cold days but still show off the body, a belt to attach stuff, and decorated with genetically-engineered plant life that provides the coverage required to avoid offending non-Shapers. Is this what you had in mind?
Here is what it might look like being worn: http://www.willadsenfamily.org/us/don/t ... t-worn.png
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

well could look nice when weared by a shaper let's go to this direction and do maybe more stylized leave and flower (imo look to "real")
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

The leaves are supposed to be real. Shapers wear living plants, designed by the wearer if they are wealthy. To quote from the wiki:
Shaper clothing tends to fall into one of two very distinct categories. Shapers have exceptionally minimal body modesty, and any wearing of clothing whose primary purpose is to keep portions of the body hidden from sight is done so on account of the modesty of non-Shapers with whom they must interact – after all, the Shaper body is a work of art and science they are proud to display. Shaper work/functional clothes, therefore, act primarily to protect more sensitive surfaces, to keep softer tissues in place during motion/exertion, and to provide convenient places to store objects being used. Such clothes are considered artful to the degree that they do not interfere with the natural Shaper form and movement thereof. On the other hand, as Shaper mastery both of their own body and their environment is very advanced, with clothing for them somewhat superfluous save for statement anyway in most climes and many conditions, Shaper art-wear is something else entirely. High-end Shaper art-wear often takes the form a living, generally translucent expanse of vegetation designed at the protein and genome level by the wearer – anything from a thin film, to a sheet-like wrap, to a crawling expanse of vines, flowering if watered. Those less talented, but financially equipped, will pay top credits to be similarly designed for and decorated. Those in neither situation may opt to obtain a license to perform minor customizations on existing designs, or, for the even lower social rungs, to simply wear something mass marketed – the Shaper equivalent of a cheap suit.
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/Faction:Shaper
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
snow_Cat
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by snow_Cat »

^ - -^ I found this; similar concept?
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

well is why i thought Shaper have to fit whith some wear much more stylish as the forest nymph is not really high Dna modified standard
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

I always imagined that nymphs would have hips, so as to be attractive to men over age 20. :roll:

But perhaps Fendorin is right about Shaper clothing covering more than my sketch. We'll never know until Jack comes back. :(
Turbo

Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

i thought maybe something as that for shaper:
the living thing as clothe is black on the first but can exist a lot of variety no?
the skin colors must be dark black anyway(canon) but some variety can exist on different planet? some les black some more redblack...etc
ImageImageImage
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

Those may need some nipple coverage, but are otherwise great.

However, the leg pouch is completely impractical. The human thigh is the wrong shape to hold any weight strapped to it. I have a pilot's knee board which has elastic straps to attach to the thigh, and they work great when you are sitting down. But they are not designed to use standing -- when you stand up they slip down to your boot. I have also worn reproduction medieval armor, and the weight of the legs is borne by your belt and a strap behind the knee. So the leg pouch, as you show it, would need adhesives to be usable.
Turbo

Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

They can grow a thigh pouch genetically ;)
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

ULn vinci's style:
made by hand
Boaal
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Boaal »

Anyone ever thought of trying to 3D sculpt one of the races heads?
I'd try but I'm not very good at it.

I was doing some Bzbr anatomy ideas earlier, legs mainly, just sketching out some stuff, it's quite interesting. If i can get my tablet back from my sister I might try and sketch them out again in Gimp and add some colour. With six jumping legs, each with four segments, I figured that they'd probably look vaguely like coiled springs and be digitigrade, as opposed to plantigrade.

Edit:

Ok so I did attempt to just paint up the hind leg of a Bzbr. I know, just the leg, but it's there anyway in all it's quad-segmented glory...

I'll do a couple of arms or a head, or whatever and maybe, eventually, I'll actually try and put the whole thing together.

I sketched out a concept of an Aera today, but I have no scanner, so it's not available unfortunately.
The Twitching Pattern - http://www.last.fm/music/The+Twitching+Pattern
Have a listen.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Hi Boaal

Waiting for see your sketches as u mentionned above
if you have no scanner maybe u can use Camera or at least web cam??
Good to se some work over Alien style :wink:
Boaal
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Boaal »

I do technically have a scanner, it's just that, for some reason it's not working without ink at the moment. Uhm, I can scan it, just that it' in a sketchbook and probably won't scan out very well. Once the ink comes, then I'll try to scan it, see how it comes out.
Have a listen.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

is maybe better for speak about artwork to post artwork even if it' in bad quality scanned
or not as you wanted

Camera pics can be another solutions

hope we will see your sketches soon
Boaal
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Boaal »

I took a photo, it actually came out alright.
This was my concept of what an Aera might look like. The head was actually really hard to figure out, because of how the top of the head is the hinged moving part, rather than the jaw itself.

Have a listen.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

hi boaal is a nice sketches

i think we (peoples trying to concept aera) all turn around same shape for aera body and even head...
i would like to see the rear leg tinest and the front "arm' not as human shaped but maybe more "animal" construction
Other wise for the head and his jaw is always same prblm the i woukd like to cancel this can of head constuction and let something free come

about the foot the aera must have foot more forest/climbing tree adapted than runing no?

i m indeed more interest by your further BZBR concept
Boaal
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Boaal »

Hi, haven't been doing much recently, just started university so everything's a little up in the air right now. But I'll get back to being a little more productive in a while.
Have a listen.