Vega Strike Trunk binaries compiled by me...

Development directions, tasks, and features being actively implemented or pursued by the development team.
pjwaffle
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Vega Strike Trunk binaries compiled by me...

Post by pjwaffle »

I have compiled a vegastrike binary on Ubuntu 8.10 with GCC-C++ and apt-get builddep. this is revision 12531 trunk! you should just be able to run make install but if not the executables are in the vegastrike/exec directory. I have no idea if it works and you need the data files (I don't include them to save bandwidth) please report packaging specific problems here and all others to developers.
http://paulswartzfager.com/binaries/veg ... ec.tar.bz2

Ps. To devs I wasn't quite sure which category this post fits in but it's untested code so I guess developer focus is a good place. I am posting this because of vega strike's slow release cycle many probably get impatient (like me) for new features!

edit: included are vegastrike and vegaserver binaries + when I compiled the binary I got a huge load of warnings...
RedAdder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: Vega Strike Trunk binaries compiled by me...

Post by RedAdder »

pjwaffle wrote: included are vegastrike and vegaserver binaries + when I compiled the binary I got a huge load of warnings...
I believe most of these warnings are just in two include files .. One is about a struct that became a class and the other is double to int conversions in vec.h.
pjwaffle
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by pjwaffle »

RedAdder wrote:
pjwaffle wrote: included are vegastrike and vegaserver binaries + when I compiled the binary I got a huge load of warnings...
I believe most of these warnings are just in two include files .. One is about a struct that became a class and the other is double to int conversions in vec.h.
I know it's horrible! it just continues to complain about I think 2 headers. So did I do a good job? I set the prefix to /usr in cmake and the build type to "Release"
RedAdder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by RedAdder »

As far as I know you did a good job.

For the record, I am recalling this from memory, one warning is in unit_generic.h and warns about using "struct CargoColor" but CargoColor is a class, so this has to read "class CargoColor" everywhere. This can be fixed easily.

The second appearance of common warnings is in vec.h. I don't have a record where exactly they are, but both are about conversion of double to int and losing precision and can be removed by adding an "(int)" cast to the line. Of course, one would need to check first whether the warning points to a real problem but my guess is that the conversion is intended.
pjwaffle
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by pjwaffle »

I am not good enough a developer to really help out with such a large project as vegastrike so thats why I am just compiling trunk binaries and releasing them.

edit: besides that... anyone have plans to put in a debian package script? not everyone uses RPM...
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

I'm fixing a vast majority of the build warnings in my branch. Should be mostly done today. If the game still runs, i'll merge the changeset into trunk.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

Well, Many small edits across 65 files and wouldn't you know it, segfaults. Who'd of thought that fixing all those ambiguous conditionals and weirdly chosen datatypes would yield bugs ? :)

anyways, no big deal, the trunk hasn't been hosed, it's all still in my branch. I'm hoping to get some time tomorrow to trace exactly what i did to break things, and then continue on the fixing. I'm estimating that i'm about 45-50% done clearing out _all_ warnings from the build.

edit: Basically the latest GCC doesn't like you messing up signed and unsigned comparisons, also the use of assignment in conditionals must be encapsulated properly. Also, the ambiguousness of && and ||'s in a conditional have to be addressed with parenthesis. EVERY FILE is basically in violation. Right now, vegaserver compiles from scratch with only 2 small unsigned / signed warnings. I have to work on the vegastrike-only files next, and figure out what i broke to cause it to segfault on load. Probably messed up a conditional, though it's possible also that by making something that should be unsigned really unsigned, i'm mucking up some expected negative return value used as a hack to indicate an error.
pjwaffle
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by pjwaffle »

Keep up the good work guys! I will see if I can get some more binaries compiled tonight...
pjwaffle
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by pjwaffle »

New errors encountered while building...

I got these python errors with revision 12537

Code: Select all

CMakeFiles/vegaserver.dir/src/cmd/script/director_server.o: In function `InitBriefing()':
director_server.cpp:(.text+0x2ab): undefined reference to `Python::reseterrors()'
CMakeFiles/vegaserver.dir/src/cmd/script/director_server.o: In function `InitBase()':
director_server.cpp:(.text+0x2db): undefined reference to `Python::reseterrors()'
CMakeFiles/vegaserver.dir/src/cmd/script/director_server.o: In function `InitBriefing()':
director_server.cpp:(.text+0x2b6): undefined reference to `Python::reseterrors()'
CMakeFiles/vegaserver.dir/src/cmd/script/director_server.o: In function `InitBase()':
director_server.cpp:(.text+0x2e6): undefined reference to `Python::reseterrors()'
lib/libnetgeneric.a(netserver.o): In function `NetServer::start(int, char**)':
netserver.cpp:(.text+0x6a76): undefined reference to `Python::init()'
netserver.cpp:(.text+0x6a95): undefined reference to `Python::test()'
lib/libengine_com.a(python_compile.o): In function `InterpretPython(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)':
python_compile.cpp:(.text+0x4a2): undefined reference to `Python::reseterrors()'
lib/libengine_com.a(python_compile.o): In function `CompilePython(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)':
python_compile.cpp:(.text+0x554): undefined reference to `Python::reseterrors()'
python_compile.cpp:(.text+0x5c6): undefined reference to `Python::reseterrors()'
lib/libengine_com.a(python_compile.o): In function `CompileRunPython(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)':
python_compile.cpp:(.text+0x833): undefined reference to `Python::reseterrors()'
python_compile.cpp:(.text+0x846): undefined reference to `Python::reseterrors()'
lib/libengine_com.a(python_compile.o):python_compile.cpp:(.text+0x8c4): more undefined references to `Python::reseterrors()' follow
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [exec/vegaserver] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/vegaserver.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
while building vegaserver...
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

Well, i can safely say that i had no part in that :) All of the warning fixes i made are all in my own branch. So unless you are building that then something is just fubarred at your end. Perhaps you're building the source via cmake while still being within the source tree. Something along those lines.

I had no time to work on VS tonight, had to change out my rotors in my car. I really really will get the rest of the work done by the weeks end though. I'm just packed these next couple of days.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Any success with this compile? Sometimes you have to delete a couple object files (or rebuild everything for better results).

In this case it looks like src/python/python_init was falsely compiled. If that is not the case, you may want to check that HAVE_PYTHON is defined correctly, but I believe it should be defined, or else you would have bigger problems than a couple of symbols all from one file not being defined.