Star Wars Mod???

Discuss the Vega Wars mod(s) for the Vega Strike Engine

Moderator: hurleybird

JaseP
Merchant
Merchant

Star Wars Mod???

Post by JaseP »

Is anyone interested in doing a StarWars Mod for VegaStrike??? I tcould be called VegaWars. It probably wouldn't need that much tweaking from the existing VegaStrike as the StarWars movies were the inspiration for the old Wing Commander game series. The only hard part would be trying to code a DeathStar trench mission or DeathStarII fly-in mision.

One thing I miss a lot about being a Linux only user at home is not having a classic trilogy Star Wars fighter sim anymore (I have a Playstation 2 and so have access to the new Trilogy fighter games).

I figure LucasArts wouldn't be any more adamant about enforcing their copyrights to the images used than say Paramount would be about the VegaTrek mod.

I'm not much of a coder or graphics person, but I sure would sign up to beta-test.
SuSE Linux 9.1 Professional Edition User
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

I already have some low poly meshes from star wars ships, sequels of an old attempt from the time that there was no handy tools for vegastrike, if you are interested I can give some mehes, but I have enough work for now with some other mods
I see dead polygons....
JaseP
Merchant
Merchant

Post by JaseP »

Again, seeing as I'm no coder or graphics person, I'm the last one who would be able to turn them into something useful. But it would be nice for someone to keep exchanging them in the hopes that someone with some time can create a mod.
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

most of the meshes are in 3ds format, soem are mine, others are XWA ones, all with full UV map, is someone is interested...
I see dead polygons....
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

A star wars mod would be great, seeing as we already have bab5 Wc and star trek. I've been thinking about starting a star wars mod for quite some time now. If you could send me some of those low poly models that would be great, etheral walker.

My modeling skillz are quite poor, but i have always watned to improve them... such a project would really give me a great oppertunity to do so. No, promises yet, but I'm now seriously considering a star wars mod.

Post by Guest »

Sweetness.

Now I have to figure out how to get this game installed on a SuSE 8.2 box. I understand it's a minor challenge.

I'll sign up for being a beta-tester...

We can save the Trench-run for last. The main thing I want is fighter to fighter combat in and amongst asteroids and capital ships. I miss chasing and blasting TIE fighters and TIE interceptors in my ol' X-wing... reminds me of bulls-eyeing wamp rats in my T-16 back home...
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

'no promises yet' :wink:

Post by Guest »

Hey, all we need is some motivation...

We should announce it as a project and that'll give incentive to get it done...
Post some screenies of the low poly models and there'll be people clamoring for it to be accomplished...
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

I've always dreamed of Lucasarts making a Star Wars game in the style of Privateer. Back when every game Lucasarts released was golden...

Perhaps now we can do something about it! (though I dare not contribute (many) models... the siren song of Trek and the main dataset are too powerful).
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

It shouldnt be too hard to take the existing low poly models, and add some more polies and create better textures for them.

Post by Guest »

There's the SPIRIT!!!!

I'll appoit myself official art critic as well, being a 25 year Star Wars fan. Seriously, This can only go in a positive direction.
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

well... now that i've thought about this some im starting to get more enthusiastic. I figure that the death star could be easy to make usingvega-strikes unused terrain support + heavy detail texturing. I'm thinking that a death star type level would be a really cool 1st mission and than have the game go from there (since the entire death-star thing at the end has been done to death. I think that mixing some hard-coded missions and story line with a privateer style open universe would be great fun.
JaseP
Merchant
Merchant

Post by JaseP »

By the way...

The "Guest"s above are me, logged in now on my Linux box... before I accidently did not.
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

hurleybird wrote:I figure that the death star could be easy to make usingvega-strikes unused terrain support + heavy detail texturing.
wel.....it *would* be easy to do....if terrain worked :-( I believe hellcat looked at updating it...but it was going to take too much time away from improving more important areas...

Dan.a
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

terrain does work... remember the old tech demo? The terrain though wasnt generated according to the texture on the planet (like many more advanced terrain generators do), nstead you had to create the mesh yourself, this would work better for the death star though...

the only problems i can see are

1. Adding turrets

2. making the 'death spot' where you have to firre in.

any ideas?
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

hurleybird wrote:terrain does work... remember the old tech demo?
yeah.....but between then and some time in te late 0.2.x series, something broke....and it hasn't worked since :-/

Dan.a
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

oh... ...darn. :(
Sunstar
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by Sunstar »

Sounds like a lot of fun - but as there are so many star wars computer games out there - therefore a bussiness for making money (jst look at star wars galaxies - you might have trouble with the copyright.

Thats said the best source books I've seen are the ones for the d20 star wars game. Maps and info all included.

on the model front

Check this link out

http://xwaupgrade.com/

go to downloads to see the models...

the models are for the old Xwing Alliance game (which is great if you haven't played it) but maybe you could get permission to use them - it would save a lot of time ansd energy - or maybe you could use some of them as a base for your own models etc.

not being a modeler I'm not sure how it all works - I just thought I'd add it to the pool for the consideration of those who are in the know.
They were in the wrong place at the wrong time so naturally they became hero's
George Lucas – from inside the cover of the original Star Wars novel.
Speedator
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Post by Speedator »

Well, it seems to have no progress, right?
Wouldn't it be better to start the game with only one campaign for both multi- and singleplayer. That makes it more clear.
Maybe we use a well-known space-battle of the old trilogy. There is no intersection with the current commercial games. It is much more interesting for the common player and it would be similar to the popular tie-fighter and x-wing games. It is not to complex and would limit & focus the work. More quality than quantity.
To make such a small game or "demo" will rise the popularity and we will find a lot of new contributors.
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

Yeah, basically this product has stalled. If i find some fee time, or get some other people on board I might be able to do some work on it.