Alien Artwork

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: Alien Artwork

Post by Fendorin »

I can't understand what is asking : more photorealistic drawings or the "kind of presentation" means more serious pick (less Free or concept) for more cannon?(i don't know if it's clear):maybe you dislike this "kind of drawing" but i thought is made some "feeling/atmosphere".
i need to know before make new fixer (what kind of style you want i thought some "French Comics style" could be good, little bit "sketchy" (goood for imagination and less "static")
if you have some idea post a exemple or link please : i' m not so close to the Anglo-saxon drawing's style .
and another things: maybe i need help for understand the "lient speies concept" but this species was presented like a dogs or monkey's brain in the wiki but they could "pilot ship???
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Fendorin wrote:I can't understand what is asking : more photorealistic drawings or the "kind of presentation" means more serious pick (less Free or concept) for more cannon?(i don't know if it's clear):maybe you dislike this "kind of drawing" but i thought is made some "feeling/atmosphere".
I think jackS is saying is he is fine with the style or your drawing, but there are just some specific changes he would like for you to make to the Andolians' clothing/suits and to the Klkk's biological appearance, for canon reasons.

For the Andolians, he wants you to build equipment into it and maybe plates like small shoulder pads or knee pads and such into places that should be more durable. A good example of this look might come from the now vaporware Starcraft: Ghost game:

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4

For the Klk'k, he wants you to make their feet longer, which even in their odd case I think just means longer from Toe-To-Ankle, like the long feet of a Kangaroo

He also wants you to put nostrils on the Klk'k almost at the back of his head, where his head and his neck meet.
i need to know before make new fixer (what kind of style you want i thought some "French Comics style" could be good, little bit "sketchy" (goood for imagination and less "static")
if you have some idea post a exemple or link please : i' m not so close to the Anglo-saxon drawing's style .
This is a good question. What style should fixers for the space pubs be drawn in jackS? Or does it not really matter which?
and another things: maybe i need help for understand the "lient speies concept" but this species was presented like a dogs or monkey's brain in the wiki but they could "pilot ship???
Not the Klk'k, they are about as smart as we are and they were flying around in space before Humans found them. They just weren't as technologically advanced and powerful as the Humans that discover them in the future.

But the Klk'k were as advanced before becoming a client species of Humans, as we Humans are right now in real life today.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Deus Siddis wrote:
This is a good question. What style should fixers for the space pubs be drawn in jackS? Or does it not really matter which?
Personally, I would like to strive for cinematic quality in all graphical aspects of the game to go along with the presentations on bases and in space. However, as long as we do not have the right tools to provide this kind of visuals, it should really not matter what style is being used especially for fixers but also for other artistic features, as in the very-very-long run they may be replaced by realistic representations.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

I think long term it would be detailed 3d models of the characters. In the short term that's not a particularly realistic target and the 2d stylistic fixers would provide a good base for people to start modelling the fixers in the future.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

i worked on a standard andolian Fixer
if you think is a good "render" i will continue to create others fixer with this drawing-style.
i couldn't refound this information but i remind me , i read upon time: andolian "exterior" aspect is not "clean" because andolian can't see the "real material"???
Then they don't take care about the exterior aspect?
Who is a best "patern" for andolian???:

loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

I like the style and the andolian looks not bad like the hockey shoulder pad (but I'am Canadian and dotty on hockey :D )Hopefully we can have a comment/critic from the Minister of Information soon so you can proceed.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

This fixer drawing is consistent with the style of the other fixers in game now. And, as charlieg said, it gives the 3D modelers something to aim for.

I imagine the Andolians, who are more concerned with information than appearances, would see the isolation suits as a tool and not a fashion accessory, and therefore would be unlikely to decorate it. They might even enjoy the anonymity that a featureless outward appearance gives them when among other factions, since their net-centric life probably enables them to recognize each other through their network links, rather than by visual recognition of faces and nonverbal cues, as other humans do. For those reasons, I prefer the less colorful version of the two drawings.

Turbo
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

i m agree the second draw/coloration is "too much"
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

I need idea for Aera clothes
I don't know if JackS have Already gave some information about aera clothes and interior style life?
i did a sketch for fixer
this fixer have one "middle limb one table" (little bite rude for human...):
i don't know if i could keep the drawing body like well defined or more "fat" means you will see less the muscles.
Give me your point of view!

Thanks
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Hello
I advance the colors on the aera fixer sketch:

Comments are welcome!

loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

I like him :D looks like he is making his point rather forcefully :wink: and with the voice track now available should have the player shaking (with fear or laughter)

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

His right first and second limbs sort of blend together and just make it look like he has a huge right arm. Perhaps his right first hand should be making a guesture up next to his head (he's a fixer, so the Aeran equivalent of "you, come here" is fine), so we can more clearly see that his right second hand is on the table next to the left first hand.

How about a holster that puts his "fancy Aera energy pistol" around mid-chest just above the middle limbs, where it would not impede movement but could be easily reached by the first set of limbs? The straps that attach the holster should also have some pouches for his credit chip, reloads, energy bars, suicide pills, or whatever else an Aera might need to carry around.

We have an Aera voice track for ship-to-ship communications, discussed here:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... &sk=t&sd=a
Since the non-campaign fixer speech is dynamically generated, I'm not sure it is possible (and probably not cost-effective) to voice-act every word and dynamically assemble it. However, we can provide alien audio if we leave out the audio translation. Here is an Aera talking without the translator speech overlay. He starts out solicitiously enough (friendly tones), but he turns a bit testy (grunts and growls) as he describes the problem to be solved, and what he will have to pay you to solve it for him:
http://www.willadsenfamily.org/us/don/t ... _fixer.ogg
So, if you can play this sound while the fixer's text scrolls onto the screen, that will give you the desired effect.
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

His right first and second limbs sort of blend together and just make it look like he has a huge right arm
I m totally agree i will redraw the body position,
Perhaps his right first hand should be making a guesture up next to his head (he's a fixer, so the Aeran equivalent of "you, come here" is fine),
What do you mean? (i m not a fluant english, sorry ; you should speak/wrote like a child with me)
How about a holster that puts his "fancy Aera energy pistol" around mid-chest just above the middle limbs, where it would not impede movement but could be easily reached by the first set of limbs? The straps that attach the holster should also have some pouches for his credit chip, reloads, energy bars, suicide pills, or whatever else an Aera might need to carry around.
Totally agree! (this draw was a base for beginning fixer draw about area)
The best way is describe me what kind of aera character fixer you have in your mind
-Merchant-(what is the look/attribute of the aera merchant marines ?)
-Officer-(what is the look/attribute of the aera officer ?)
-Civil/politics/diplomatic contact--(what is the look/attribute of the aera civilian ?)
-Renegat/pirates/outlaws-(what is the look/attribute of the aera renegat ?)

describe me 5 aera character please
since i contribute to VS i haven't understand the aera species, my english are bad .
Then help me and "Order me a fixer" with a quick and LISTED description (more you did long sentences less i understand)

for exemple this upper draw/fixer (we will call it : Pilot)
are -Pride
-suspicius(like a lot of aera)
-strong body
-"young" (straight body /well fitted)
-Wear with a Pilot clothes (have some plate and colored)
-a blue band "makup"=first rank of war pilot....etc

Thanks to help me

P.S=more i have description more i will draw quick and right
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

Please do not apologize -- your English is better than my French. :D

I suggested that he is waving at the player with his first right hand, a wave that says "come talk to me." The point is that the first right arm should be doing something different from the second right arm.

All of them would probably have a weapon and carrying pouches on a strap across the chest. A merchant would have a few pouches of different kinds. A rich government Aera would would have a small number of pouches, of expensive materials. The military would carry more pouches and weapons, all the same color and material. A pirate would have a lot of pouches that do not match, that is are not the same type or color.

Aera would have shoes or gloves on the second and third hands/feet, since they walk on four legs most of the time. Military and pirates might have armor on the legs, just like a human soldier might wear boots instead of shoes.

The items of equiment could be cheap leather for merchants and pirates, heavy but strong metal for military, and light plastic for government or wealthy.

All types of Aera would be alert, suspicious, and proud. They would not relax at any time.
Turbo

Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

A mechanist "civilian"pilot
i read earlier the mechanist war pilot are like a metal ball into ship and linked with alot of ..link/cable
then is just a sketch like that "en passant"
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

That looks like a good starting point for further speculation and enhancement.

jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

re: mechanist civilian pilot

It's interesting. I like it. There's a lot of diversity among the degree of body replacement in the civilian portion of the Mechanist population, so many drawings will be interesting, and not inappropriate :)
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

thanks .

the shmrn/dgn body is it a final concept??? a egg with 2 chiken's legs??
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Fendorin wrote:thanks .

the shmrn/dgn body is it a final concept??? a egg with 2 chiken's legs??
Which picture are you looking at - there's a large number of shmrn/dgn drawings that have been made, several of them reasonably detailed.
HymenZorg
Trader
Trader

Post by HymenZorg »

Oblivion, Fendorin, I have enjoyed this thread immensely. What a wonderful process.

BTW, Oblivion, what part of PI are you from? I have a lot of family there (my brother married into a HUGE Filipino family).
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Thanks hymenZorg
Oblivion are not often here you should find it on Aff universe forum. (i don't remenber so well)

About the Alien shape body line
who is approuved shape, and who isn't?

i thought that because when you see the "client species" of each species they look more animals than smart species
they are not able to work for the "masters" species

JackS WROTE :
Which picture are you looking at - there's a large number of shmrn/dgn drawings that have been made, several of them reasonably detailed.
The SHMRN for exemple if it was a species "did" for working, how they can work with just 2 big and strong leg a massive round body and a lot of fine tentacles??
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Hello by PM emailing JackS had some comment over i wanted publish it:

"Fixers -

Andolian: Andolians (not being Daleks) should still have discernibly binocular visual inputs. The purple one is a bit overcolored. Just change the color of the shoulder patch (on image-left/Andolian-right). The perforated thing on the image-right I am not particularly fond of - hard patches on the suit surface would be more suitable for high-wear regions. I would also keep the air lines closely coupled to the exterior of the suit, and not hanging out with slack.

Aeran: I was in the process of trying to get a good re-draw of the basic Aeran body-plan done with Nozmajner just before my setback in available time. I will forward the discussion and his sketches, and we can re-synchronize on what the head will actually look like before we continue on to making the Aeran fixers."
Thanks and keep continuations over
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Andolian

Post by Fendorin »

another proposal concept for the andolian's looking
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Great work, Fendorin! As always...

By the way, have you ever tried Make Human?
http://www.makehuman.org/blog/index.php
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Thanks !

I never Try to make human with 3D software i don't know why all human in 3D look always weird, i don't speak about the quality but they looks without expression at all you need to find some really stylized for find that as manga or other kind of non realistic design