0.5+ Motion to refactor VS

Development directions, tasks, and features being actively implemented or pursued by the development team.
safemode
Developer
Developer

0.5+ Motion to refactor VS

Post by safemode »

This is a call to get everyone on board to create a clear and concise set of laws for every object in VS.

The laws should ignore what the objects currently do, instead, these laws would relate to what the objects intended to do. Features that currently exist but do not fall within these laws of intention, would have to have new objects created for them.

These api rules would be set first in the Wiki so they can be hammered out and perfected, from the lowliest object, to the very top. In creating these rules in the wiki, we'll be creating a complete map of VS's gaming engine structure. The rules will spontaneously create the subsystems as they should exist, not as they do. The tree will be formed by the structure of the api rules.

One set of rules reflects what our object is allowing other objects to use and what it defines for use for itself. The other set of rules will define what code it will be incorporating from other objects in the game.

There is a third set of API rules that would govern how the objects should be organized (how they interact is the 1st two sets of rules per object). We would decide rules by which an object is allowed to use code from other objects. Whether we'd allow objects to use objects higher up on the hierarchy.

These rules would be hammered out for all the objects _before_ anything of any importance is done to vs post 0.5

Once we have rules laid out, we can start refactoring the objects. I would suggest we start at the bottom and work our way up. This wont be as hard as one might think, because we'll have a map of how to refactor the code laid out for us in the wiki.

Basically, the best way i think to do it is refactor a lower level object. Then hack the upper level objects that made use of that lower level object (which may now be multiple objects), to use the properly coded one. We wont care about being proper in these higher level edits, they're only meant to make VS compilable and testable during the refactoring. We'll work our way up the tree making our hack edits to the level above each time we finish the objects below.

That's my plea anyway. I really hope everyone gets on board with this for post 0.5. I'd like to see this as 0.6 and made the highest priority. I'm hoping we can get enough developers on board to get the rules for all the objects described onto the wiki within a month. From there i'm hoping with the summer and everything that the code work can be done before october.

Post in the affirmative if you're interested in participating in constructing the rules on the wiki and refactoring the code, or why you're against it.
Last edited by safemode on Wed May 28, 2008 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I refer to this post

Summary: there's a rewrite for graphics and sound on the pipe for 0.6. So, lets wait for it before we set on refactoring everything. There's a good chance the rewrite will do a lot of what would be done in the refactoring.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

in that case, I mutate the purpose of the main post to reference only those subsystems for now. Everything about it still stands, but we'd only be talking about those subsystems.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
Corpuscule
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Re: 0.5+ Motion to refactor VS

Post by Corpuscule »

Hello there,

I've been getting really interested in Vega Strike in the last days... After playing quite a long time X and EVE Online, I intended to start some sort of open source project but the task seemed tremendous. Until I finally discovered VS through a Wikipedia article :roll:

I've got some knowledge in C / C++, and can be quite skilled in system analysis / modeling (however, I haven't done this stuff since several years so it'll be a slow start).

Anyway, is this "subsystems analysis" going on ? Are you looking for help ? I'm ready to dive into the code and wikify this, eventually ending to refactor VS ...

Thanks for your answer :)
Corpuscule
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Hello and Welcome to Vegastrike

your help will be more than appreciate
-have a look to the roadmap plan, have a look too the forum.

i m not a coder but it still have a lot of staff you could help:AI Combat, mission Sripting, and other thing....etc

Again and still WELCOME
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

As Fendorin said welcome Corpuscule i don't know the state of this analysis but one of the devs should give you some hints when they drop by.Till then browse the code for obvious candidates for refactoring :wink: there are a lot.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Corpuscule
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Corpuscule »

:lol:

For sure there's a lot of choice, i've been browsing the code for a few hours... However, there's a lot that could be considered as "graphics" refactoring, so however much choice for refactoring there is, there's much preliminary work to do in order to identify all of those pieces and not to overlap with others' tasks.

That's what makes this kind of work entertaining :mrgreen:
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Glad it tickles the hacking itch :lol: always fun tiring to not step on others toes.Though sometimes you have to to get thing done :wink: Happy hacking.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2