Doxyfying the Python code?

This is the location for all mods to collaborate. Anyone making or planning their own mod should post help requests, screen shots and news here.

Moderators: Omega, tillias, Mod Contributor

Sindwiller
Merchant
Merchant

Doxyfying the Python code?

Post by Sindwiller »

Has anybody tried to document the code using Doxygen? I ran over it and I noticed a lot of stuff that I can't figure out or doesn't make sense. At least 80% of the code is undocumented, so neither has a doc strings or comments, there is basically no folder structure at all (seriously...) and even with the existing documentation I can't get to run a simple script to spawn a bunch of enemies in a system! - so a Doxygen documentation might just be the best way to start.

Discuss. :P
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Doxyfying the Python code?

Post by loki1950 »

About time :wink: yes we really do need to nail down the API for all the Python scripts data side.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Sindwiller!!! i Support you it's nice work you begun you will help us a lot

nice to heard a good working's bell
Sindwiller
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Sindwiller »

Whoooow... hold your horses people :| I'm not really capable of doing that - especially alone, as I have only minimal programming knowledge (I know some Python though) and my brain just isn't suited for that kind of stuff :P I'd really like to help, but it's not going to happen that fast :P I'd probably need some clues and help and stuff :)
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Just take it one file at a time :D
Seriously; you'd be a star if you did this. A while ago I tried to add a sub-menu to the main menu in PU for a multi-player screen.
Should be piece of cake, right? Spent several days on it and never got it to work.

EDIT:
Here's a link to keep handy: C++ functions available to Python.
legine
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by legine »

Well I dont think Documentation will do the trick.
I think some parts are write like Spagetti. You find a lot of (import) references in the beginning, some classes in the same file, some free, global code in between. and then When time was short some ugly code like:

Code: Select all

if compare(a, b) then do() 
(and do ofcourse is imortet have fun searching...)

just clean up the code and there will be only a view things needing documentation.

Sorry for blabber but it makes me upset how some code just looks like. It is very hard to understand.(That does not mean I think the work is bad.)

My 2 cents.
Sindwiller
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Sindwiller »

Well, the point is, nobody knows how large parts of the code work, anyway...
legine
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by legine »

Sindwiller wrote:Well, the point is, nobody knows how large parts of the code work, anyway...
*sing*Noobody knows, the trouble I've seen... *sing*
Hmmm at least I am not alone :)

I think we should think more on APIs we need and want and then write that down. After, we write wrapper classes with the new API, and then start to replace existing code to call the new wrapper class instead, and in last step replace the wrapper class with a real class, write a bit of wiki, then take the next api piece.

With a good plan we can put people with different codeing experience to work. ahhh dono. Too much spagetti^^
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

If you run into some python function that makes no sense, or if you need an API for something that you can't figure out how to do, maybe we need a place on the wiki or forums that you can ask those.

I haven't been visiting the forums more than about once a week lately--but feel free to email me at patrick.horn at gmail.com if you have a question