Mesher buglist (help out if you can!)

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
klauss
Elite
Elite

Mesher buglist (help out if you can!)

Post by klauss »

I'll be opening this thread so people can post about mesher bugs.
SVN mesher.
Not any other.

Each bug report neads the following items to be useful:
  • Symptom - what happens that should not happen.
  • Platform
  • SVN revision of the build if available
  • Backtrace if it's a segmentation fault / access violation exception, if possible.
  • Steps to reproduce, very very important.
  • Test cases to see if it gets fixed (eg: a sample mesh that triggers the bug under some case).
In fact, the idea is if we have test cases we can make a regression test script so that further commits to mesher don't break that case. That way, fixed bugs should not resurface silently.

Mesher has many bugs right now, and artists have reported such poor usability that it's been useless for 3 years now. This has to be fixed. So this buglist will accept usability bugs. Example usability report:
  • Symptom: Mesher does not have autosmooth capabilities, and blender is unable to export the results of autosmoothing, so exporting properly smoothed models means hours of manual work splitting vertices.
  • Platform: any, with blender
  • SVN revision: blah (current HEAD)
  • Backtrace: N/A
  • Steps to reproduce: Take a model using autosmooth in blender, export it to obj and convert to bfxm with mesher. Inspect in VS: The model will be wholly smoothed regardless of autosmooth settings.
  • Test case: (post an autosmoothed blender model, its obj, and the bfxm mesher generates)
I will periodically update this first post with a summary of posted bugs and their status. If contributors want to take on a bug, they should post their intentions and progress reports so that it can be reflected on the list.

This buglist could also be wikified, so if someone wants to do that I won't mind ;)
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: Mesher buglist (help out if you can!)

Post by pyramid »

* Symptom - mesher does not convert properly with MTL file using texture IDs of the kind map_tex0, map:tex1, ...
* Platform- Linux, openSUSE 10.3
* SVN - revision 12396
* Backtrace - none, mesher exits with error
* Steps to reproduce - Take tridacna.mtl, replace map_kd with map_tex0, convert obj to bfxm, edit modelview.mission, run vs modeltest.mission
* Test cases - see above
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Did you try map_0? (because I believe it was map_<n> and not map_tex<n>)
Wing Commander Universe
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Indeed. No idea where I got that "tex" from. Problem solved.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re:

Post by pyramid »

Klauss, here goes one problem with mesher:
* Symptom: BLEND mode is not converted from bfxm to (obj format) mtl file
* Platform: Windows
* SVN revision: 12441 = the latest exe built by you (klauss)
* Backtrace: n/a
* Steps to reproduce: 1) get llama.bfxm 2) convert to obj 3) convert back from obj to bfxm 4) the blink lights will have no alpha since the "BLEND 1" statement is not in the mtl file
* Test cases: see above
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

hello

i got a error when i tryed to use mesher by Unit Converter
at the step for pressing on "convert mesh in BFXM"

my computer are under microsoft windows Vista i got this error = R6034

*Should i need to download and install "visual C++ studio" on my computer?
*I found on a website a explanation for correct the bug: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... S.80).aspx but i understood nothing :lol: what all this strange word assembling together means??
* if i use a linux distribution (ubuntu) mesher would work better?

thank to help me please

P.S could we use UC for convert Bfxm to Obj?
RedAdder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by RedAdder »

Fendorin wrote: *Should i need to download and install "visual C++ studio" on my computer?
That would bring you a step closer to a solution, but you would need some more steps.
Fendorin wrote: *I found on a website a explanation for correct the bug: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... S.80).aspx but i understood nothing :lol: what all this strange word assembling together means??
assembling=to put together from parts. In computer lingo it can also mean turning code into a program.
Fendorin wrote: * if i use a linux distribution (ubuntu) mesher would work better?
You would not get this error.

This is how far I can help :-)
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

then for "jump over" the problem i should instal a Linux distribution on my laptop ?
i try to understand U.C ... but maybe i should have some coding knowledge.

Thank for your quick reply.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Or we may have to ship mesher with a manifest now as we do for the main executable so we meet Vista's new security model.And Fendorin adding Ubuntu to your hard drive you would most likely at a loss for the first few weeks as you learn the Linux way of doing things :wink: and of course it would also be dependent on how much disk space you are willing to allocate to Ubuntu BTW your Vista files will be accessible from Ubuntu or any current Linux distro.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Loki wrote:
Or we may have to ship mesher with a manifest now as we do for the main executable so we meet Vista's new security model
it's means mesher work better under windows XP ?

thanks
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

It may also need the manifest file not sure though but is seems to work without one for me at least but the window's version is not the latest and it does not incorporate all the new texture tricks that chuck has been working on and kluass wants to fix a few other things first as well the good news is he is back to coding :D seen his svn log entries.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Oh
i miss to reply : then somebody have a solution or need i wait for klauss reworking mesher???

the quick solution should turn under Ubuntu???
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

The current issue I have found with mesher (when trying to compile it as requested by someone) is that several files ask to #include config.h, however config.h doesn't exist in the SVN tree. :)
make me a sandwich
make: *** No rule to make target 'me'. Stop.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

I looked through all the mesher files manually first, and couldn't find an #include "config.h"; then I grepped the whole mesher folder for config.h and not a single instance came up. Could you post the output?
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

You know, I'm on another machine right now, and I couldn't reproduce it. it was some other header file that wanted a config.h

Anyway, I managed to get it compiled and sent it to the person requesting it. (main.cpp was missing from the project still :))
make me a sandwich
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Excellent! Thanks! Hope it works; Deus will be jumping with happiness. There's a lot of art waiting in the pipelines because of the lack of a working mesher.exe.
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

Actually I have come across the error again. Turns out there are 2 projects for mesher: one .dsw/.dsp which is the older style VC++6 project, and one .sln which is the newer style VC++7, 8, 9 etc. project. The .dsw/.dsp compiles but gives a binary that I don't think works. The .sln doesn't compile, with a missing "config.h" which comes from src/endianness.h which is included from from_BFXM.cpp.from_BFXM.h

Code: Select all

-------------- Build: Release Win32 in mesher ---------------

from_BFXM.cpp
..\..\src\endianness.h(5) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'config.h': No such file or directory
Process terminated with status 2 (0 minutes, 0 seconds)
1 errors, 0 warnings
In fact it's funny, going by directive conventions the file included should be mesher/endianness.h (which doesn't exist) but in fact what ends up included is src/endianness.h, which asks for config.h which doesn't exist. Hmm.

Also, the same error repeats further down: from_obj.cpp includes from_obj.h which includes to_BFXM.h which includes xml_support.h which doesn't exist in the mesher directory, so src/xml_support ends up included instead and it asks for the same missing config.h; and so on a few more times (to_BFXM.h -> hashtable.h -> config.h etc)
Last edited by shenle on Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
make me a sandwich
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Those two includes (xml_support.h and config.h) come from vegastrike's source folder (/trunk/vegastrike/src). They should be on the project's include path.

But re-check what I said, I'm playing by ear and by memory of more than a year back.
Wing Commander Universe
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

There is no trunk/vegastrike/src/config.h
make me a sandwich
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Sorry, that one gets generated by autotools/cmake, you'd need the one for VC6/7/8, which is here and here

BTW: if you don't have those folders in your project include files then the project is more than broken... I don't remember vega-vc7/8 being that broken...
Wing Commander Universe
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

endianness.h is in /vegastrike/src,
but config.h is in /vegastrike
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

Hmm, the linker is missing a library... but can't figure out which...

Code: Select all

Linking console executable: Release\mesher.exe
to_BFXM.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _XML_ParserFree referenced in function "struct XML __cdecl LoadXML(char const *,float)" (?LoadXML@@YA?AUXML@@PBDM@Z)
to_BFXM.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _XML_Parse referenced in function "struct XML __cdecl LoadXML(char const *,float)" (?LoadXML@@YA?AUXML@@PBDM@Z)
to_BFXM.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _XML_SetElementHandler referenced in function "struct XML __cdecl LoadXML(char const *,float)" (?LoadXML@@YA?AUXML@@PBDM@Z)
to_BFXM.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _XML_SetUserData referenced in function "struct XML __cdecl LoadXML(char const *,float)" (?LoadXML@@YA?AUXML@@PBDM@Z)
to_BFXM.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _XML_ParserCreate referenced in function "struct XML __cdecl LoadXML(char const *,float)" (?LoadXML@@YA?AUXML@@PBDM@Z)
Release\mesher.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 5 unresolved externals
Process terminated with status 1120 (0 minutes, 0 seconds)
6 errors, 0 warnings

make me a sandwich
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

In Ubuntu:
expat
libexpat1
libexpat1-dev

are the ones I have, that relate to xml.
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

Expat.lib is already included in the project.

Hmm, but it was included as a source file, not as a linker object. :roll:

Works now.
make me a sandwich
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

config.h is a generated header created by autoconf and cmake. If you dont have this in VC in windows land then you're probably defining a lot of macros is the wrong place. It's basically a list of macros that tells the rest of the source what you have and what you dont have.

All the macros (WIN32, etc) should be defined in a file named config.h in the top level source dir.

This issue will be resolved when i get cmake to generate the Visual C++ build files and do away with the manual VC repositories .
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.