Good and easy cooking (kitchen), your recipes

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

plueschinger
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Good and easy cooking (kitchen), your recipes

Post by plueschinger »

Hello

In this modern times less and less people can cook food. :(
They use the micro-wave or burn their frozen pizza in the oven,
happened to me today, :?
because they hang around in front of their computer or the television and not in the kitchen.
That's why I started this thread.
I want to collect good and, or easy recipes to cook from you,
that you know how to cook. 8)

So here is my first recipe, a very easy one:

Fried eggs:
So you need a good pan, don't make it too hot,
put some oil inside and then the eggs,
give some salt and pepper to them, not too much,
after two minutes, try to move them a little bit in the pan,
if you can move them everything is o.k.
more one or two minutes and they are ready.

If you can't move the eggs in the pan, the pan is bad or too hot.
Before they burn, make scrambled eggs,
just mix up everything in the pan before it really burns.:roll:

One hint:
Serve this with bread and butter. :D

Bon Appetit

I'm waiting for your recipes.

BTW:
This is a serious thread
and I'm really interested in good easy recipes for cooking, especially foreign, exotic (asian) ones,
I just wanted to start with a with a simple one. :P

Regards
Plueschinger
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Straightforward side dish I made tonight (main course less straightforward, and not mentioned here):

You will need:
~6 medium sized Yukon Gold potatoes (can substitute ~4 Russet)
~8 shallot cloves
Olive oil
Milk
Salt, pepper, paprika
Balsamic Vinegar (cooking grade - don't waste the good stuff)
Basil, shredded (the dry stuff is good enough for this, but fresh is always nice)

Clean and heat/bake potatoes. (Microwaves are useful for this. ~15 minutes will be more than sufficient. Remember to poke steam holes. Otherwise, proceed as per alternative preferences for baked potatoes.)

While the potatoes are becoming workable, place a pot on the rangetop, and coat the bottom liberally with olive oil. Coarsely chop shallots, and heat oil. Add pinch of salt and saute until no longer firm.

When potatoes are cooked, cut into smaller pieces for ease of mashing. Leave skins on if desired. Add to the pot with the sauteed shallots. Resume heating pot. Mash using ricer or other convenient implement. Add salt, pepper, paprika as per personal tastes. Add small amounts of milk intermittently until desired texture (to each their own, with mashed potatoes) is achieved.

Add basil, additional olive oil and 2-3 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar. Mix and serve. If using dried basil, add slightly earlier, so as to rehydrate.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Recipe for Tiramisu (italian dessert) for 2 persons:

You need:
4 Eggs (4 times the yellow content, 2 times the white content)
500g Mascarpone cheese (or replace half of it with quark to reduce fat)
20ml Amaretto (italian liquor)
150g powder sugar
100g-200g french bisquits
1-2 cups of Espresso or strong coffee
one spoon of dark cacao

- First of all, make the coffee so that it won't be too hot later
- Divide the eggs
- Put the yellow content into a dish
- Fill it up with the powder sugar and the amaretto
- Mix it until you have a kind of sirup
- Add the mascarpone and mix it slowly and carefully. If you mix too long, the dessert will be liquid later.
- squirl the white egg in a high dish content until you have "egg snow" (it is ready when you can turn the dish upside down and the snow won't fall out). If you don't suceed, never mind. This part isn't desperatly needed for the recipe.
- use a spoon to mix the egg snow with the rest very slowly. You're done when you have "streams" off egg snow in between the dessert.
- Place the bisquits into a low dish and let them suck up the coffee.
- Put the cream onto it.
- put the cacao on top using a filter
- place your dessert into the fridge and wait between 2 hours and 3 days. The best taste is achieved within 36 hours.

It isn't too easy, but you can get a routine. It takes me about 20 minutes. And it is surely worth the time!
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

my sweet tooth is throbbing :wink: Dilloh

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
cmptch
Merchant
Merchant

Post by cmptch »

I had to suffer from my moms spaghetti for years, and now I make it my own way. Of course, I used to be a cook at a 4 star restaurant, so that helps.

Bob's Tomato Sauce: The way you like it:

Ingredients for the basic sauce:
Basil
Large can of good quality Tomato Sauce(Not pre-seasoned)

preparation:
begin heating tomato sauce over medium heat. Add basil and stir, you want to see approx 3 flakes of basil per cm. add pinch of salt, if desired.

let simmer for 10 minutes to make sure basil has flavored sauce.
You now have the basic sauce.

you may now add other seasonings to taste. powder is absorbed more easily, so about 5 minutes per should do it. Flakes and fresh ingredients needs longer, about 10.

You can never go wrong with just basil, trust me.
Backup your data unless you want to lose it.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

In the "not actually recipes" category, the following are (sometimes incomplete) ingredient listings (sans quantity) for things I like to make. (I'd more likely post a number of actual recipes if I tended to actually wrote down my quantities or procedures, but I always just approximate and improv a bit each time. This is why I tend to avoid many baked goods ;-) - improv with that sort of chemistry can lead to less than sterling performances. )

Meat sauce for pasta: pork sausage, portabello, pine nuts, onion, garlic, tomatoes (3 types: fresh, canned, sun-dried), tomato paste, olive oil, sherry, vermouth, basil, oregano, rosemary, salt, pepper, (water if necessary)

Turkey helper marsala: ground turkey, rotini, marsala, button mushrooms, soybeans, worcestershire, cayenne, paprika, assorted poultry seasonings (marjoram, thyme, sage, etc.), sesame oil (flavor), canola oil

Pork tenderloin meal:
1)spice-rubbed, pan-seared pork tenderloin: pork tenderloin, spice rub (allspice, cinnamon, salt, pepper, nutmeg, rosemary, ginger, ground cloves, paprika, cumin, corriander)
2)mango-shallot salsa: mango, shallot, brandy, salt, pepper, honey, basil, allspice, ground cloves
3)brandied pineapple spears: pineapple, brandy
4), sweet-sour-sake rice: rice, sugar, salt, rice-vinegar, sake, sesame seeds, water

Prawn curry: coconut-milk, pineapple, bamboo shoots, water chestnut, roasted cashews, prawns, peas, garlic, ginger, corriander, turmeric, basil, salt, pepper, thickening agent (generally cornstarch & white wine), water

The following lists are for a lunch I made for co-workers this summer:

-Red-orange squashy soup (again)-
butternut squash
tomato-roasted-pepper soup mix
2 leeks
carrots
celery
sweet potato
cream
butter
allspice
pepper
nutmeg
cinnamon
ginger
cumin
coriander
marjoram
paprika
parsley
vermouth
marsala
corn
(serve with parmesan or parmesan crackers)

-Insalata Caprese and Then Some In Roasted Bell Peppers-
Red bell peppers
Fresh mozzarella
basil
tomatoes
balsamic vinegar
lemon
sugar
sherry
porcini
portabella
endive
pepper
olive oil
shallot

-Israeli couscous darkly cast-
Israeli couscous
black fungus
blackbean garlic sauce
vermouth
oregano
salt
pepper
honey
olive oil
radicchio

-Cooked Salad-
Wild rice
Long grain rice
couscous
black beans
navy beans
kidney beans
cranberry
pistachio
pine nuts
almonds
endive
arugula
Olive oil
Turmeric
Oregano
Ginger
Shallot

-Cyan potatoes-
Russet potatoes
butter
cream
gorgonzola
chevre de bellay (with herbs, of course)
mozzarella
marsala
sherry
flour
basil
oregano
tarragon
pepper
salt
cayenne
shallot

-Toast and jam-
Lavash bread
honey
fig preserves
quince paste
dates
butter
pine nuts
pistachios
almonds

This next set, most of the menu for a family gathering:

#1 (see squash soup above)
#1a Parmesan Crackers
Parmesan
Pepper
Cayenne
Paprika
Poultry Seasoning

#2 Casserole
Leek
Carrot
Cabbage
Butter
Flour
Sherry
Marsala
Cucumber
Whole Basil Leaves
Bell Pepper
Oregano
Garlic
Wood Ear
Morel
Chantarelle
Porcini
Cream
Fontina
Chevre
Stilton
Parmesan
Myzithra
Cumin

#3 Tenderloin a la Unintentional Flambe
Pork Tenderloin
Salt
Allspice
Paprika
Pepper
Rosemary
Thyme
Oregano
Coriander
Fennel Seed
Leek
Shallot
Garlic
Mango
Apple
Brandy
Vermouth
Rice
Apple Cider Vinegar
Sugar
Port
Toothpicks

#4 Chicken Goes Nuts
Pine Nuts
Walnuts
Almonds
Butter
Flour
Chicken Thighs
Vegetable Oil
Sherry
Shallots
Paprika
Pepper
Salt
Poultry Seasoning
Basil
Cayenne
Parsley
Couscous

Dinner for 8 friends who like mushrooms:

Soup (Leek/Bamboo-shoot + Straw mushrooms): carrot,leek,celery,bamboo shoot, shredded, sautéed
salt
Vermouth,vinegar, reduce
Water, mushrooms
Honey, mustard, mix
Oregano, basil, pepper, flavor

Salad: Arugula/Baby-lettuce/Gorgonzola/Clover sprouts/almonds +assorted mushrooms&endive in balsamic vinegar reduction

Appetizer: Rice paper wraps stuffed with kikurage,carrot, green onion, mint, basil, cilantro, plum sauce+hoisin, cucumber, bean sprouts

Entree(V): Wild mushroom mix + Israeli couscous + soybeans in black-bean/vermouth sauce

Entree(Oa): See meat sauce for pasta above+artichoke hearts+kalamata olives

Entree(Ob): Beef gone fruity
Sauce: (Mix, reduce)
Port
Triplesec
Dried cranberries, chopped
Consommé
A1
Carrot, shredded, sautéed

Portobello, sliced, grilled, added to sauce during reduction

Top sirloin, rubbed with salt & pepper, quick seared, sliced, dredged in sauce post-reduction. Mix on low heat until rare.

Serve on top of potatoes, sliced thick, dredged in oil, rosemary, marjoram, basil, grilled.

Dessert: French vanilla ice-cream on cinnamon&sugar coated chips of toasted flatbread, surrounded by mix of wild and farmed blueberries, the totality drizzled in port

And, to wind up,

Shrimp in mock peanut sauce:
Sauce:
Peanut butter
Soy Sauce
Ginger
Tomato sauce
Vermouth, Sherry
Allspice
Cinnamon
Oregano
Pepper

Onions, sautéed with cilantro
Pasta, boiled, oil coated
Shrimp, cooked quickly in the melting sauce
Basil, added post-burner, wilted on residual heat

Again, apologies for the above not actually being recipes, but if the aim is merely to inspire, they may still serve a purpose.
Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Dark-Blood-Hound »

Wooaah, my stomach will explode!
Vector_Matt
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Vector_Matt »

Dark-Blood-Hound wrote:Wooaah, my stomach will explode!
Pointless?

Supreme pizza eggs:

eggs + mushrooms + black olives + sausage + shredded cheese.
Mix, and cook like scrambled eggs.

This recipe is what my dad would make for breakfast the day after we made pizzas, there were usually mushrooms, black olives, and sausage left over.
plueschinger
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by plueschinger »

Hello

I see directly, that our knowledge how to cook differs a lot.
And I'm not so good, egal. :roll:

Today my recipe is "Paniertes Schnitzel"

1.You need three or four cutlets without bones from porkmeat (even better without fat)
Then you need a wooden board and a (meat)-hammer,
Beat the meat on the wooden board with a hammer, this makes the meat bigger and more soft,
if the meat has the double of it's original size, it's ok.

2. Crash 2 Eggs in a plate, raw scrambled, with pepper and salt.
3. A plate with breadcrumbs, you can buy them in a supermarket or make them yourself from old whitebread.
4. First pass the slices of meat through the eggs, then through the breadcrumps,(both sides of the meat)
then in a good pan with the cooking plate at medium heat.

5. With a good pan, nothing burns, try to move them after 90 seconds and turn the pieces of meat around after 200-250 seconds, the glue of egg and breadcrumps should be on the meat and not in the pan.

So after less then 7 minutes cooking you have nearly a "Wiener Schnitzel", but this is made from cow.

You can serve to this cooked potatoes and a warmed up tin with carrots and peas (selfmade is better),
or any other kind of selfcooked vegetables you like..

Regards
Plueschinger
Last edited by plueschinger on Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
cmptch
Merchant
Merchant

Post by cmptch »

Bland Taco/burrito Meat:

1lb Ground Beef
1 Med. potato -- pared and diced
Vegatable Oil(canola, olivee works too)

Put potato in pan, lightly coated with vegatable oil, lightly brown.
Add 1/3 cup water, simmer untill potato is cooked.
Add beef. Cook untill done.

Drain serve.

you can add your favorite taco spices when you add the beef.
Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Dark-Blood-Hound »

Vector_Matt wrote:
Dark-Blood-Hound wrote:Wooaah, my stomach will explode!
Pointless?

Supreme pizza eggs:

eggs + mushrooms + black olives + sausage + shredded cheese.
Mix, and cook like scrambled eggs.

This recipe is what my dad would make for breakfast the day after we made pizzas, there were usually mushrooms, black olives, and sausage left over.

Stop complaining!
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Tortellini in a cheese sauce that will knock you out of your shoes

ca. 15 minutes
Req for two persons:
300g Tortellini or Ravioli (either buy it or do-it-yourself)
70g Butter
250g Mascarpone
50g rubbed Parmesan
either sage (german: Salbei) or italian spices mix (like Oregano, Basilicum), sliced

1.) Melt the butter and the mascarpone carefully with low heat
2.) Add parmesan and your spices/sage, mix continously at high heat

The sauce really tastes like the one you get in italian restaurants
If it is too strong, mix it up with sweet cream.
cmptch
Merchant
Merchant

Post by cmptch »

dilloh wrote:The sauce really tastes like the one you get in italian restaurants
I think that an Italian restaurant would begin with Béchamel sauce, then add the cheeses. The flavor would be the same, though.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Not at all. A Bechamel is created using flour and butter. Italian cooks normally don't like flour sauces as e.g. Germans do. But try my recipe, and you will see that there's no need for a Bechamel.
grendel0226
Merchant
Merchant

Post by grendel0226 »

@JackS (and anyone else concerned): When you refer to "Apply[-ing] oil liberally [to the pan]", please, please, PLEASE specify that it's the INSIDE of the pan, not the outside (that meets the burner).

My dad started a housefire in his teenage years as a result of such directions, and also a less serious one: "put the butter in the milk." specify which milk when that time comes.

Moving on to a recipe:

"Cheap breakfast heart attack"

Ingredients:
1 Egg
Hard Salami (sliced)
1 Hamburger Patty
Cheese (sliced)
1 Tablespoon of Butter, Margarine, or cooking oil
Bread or buns you can toast (optional)

Directions:
*There are multiple ways to cook a hamburger patty. I prefer in a pan, so that's what I'll describe.

Put the hamburger patty in a hot skillet or flat pan. Turn the flame on under the pan on high (or just turn the nob to high if it's electric), and when the grease from the patty starts making that popping sound, turn it down to medium-high or medium. It takes some experimenting.

Cook hamburger thoroughly. This should take about 5 minutes. Flip the burger with a spatula, and it'll be done when it stops bleeding when you press it down on the patty. Put the hamburger on a plate.

If the spatula was sticking to the pan, clean it or use another one.

In the pan, put the butter, margarine, or cooking oil (whichever you chose). Put the burner on medium. Crack open the egg, and drop it in the pan. This recipe is best when the yoke is not broken.

Cook the egg most of the way (I can't tell the difference until I bite into it), and flip it right before you turn the burner off. Put as much salami and cheese on the egg as you want, and cover for about 5 minutes, after moving the pan onto a burner not in use. In those 5 minutes, you can toast your bread or bun. It doesn't matter if it takes longer, since the burner is off.

Put whatever condiments you like on the bread or bun, and put the hamburger on it, then the egg on top of the hamburger.

And there you have your Cheap breakfast heart attack.

Afterthought: Does anyone have a recipe for good Greek fries?
sKaar
Explorer
Explorer

Post by sKaar »

some recipes that are common in my family:
blueberry fungi, far as i know, it's my great grandma's recipe:
stew a quart of blueberries, that's a quart of water, 1/4lb sugar, and a quart of blueberries in a pot, taste a cooled blob when it's near done to determine if sugar needs to be added.
flour, baking powder, water, mixed thick to make 2 pounds(standard doughboys, great as a topping for any stew).
when blueberries are reduced to 1 quart, it'll be a thick sweet/tart jam, add the flour mix, cut it into the blueberries leaving large double mouthfull blobs with edges covered in blue stains, tops still white.
the adventurous eater will scald their mouth, it stays hot a looooong time in the pot, the doughboys act as insulation. serve a blob in a saucer with sauce spooned to the side away from the white bit, it'll look better, maybe serve it in a teacup, or add vanilla ice cream in case it's not cooled enough when you attempt to force it down your neckhole.
cape sable island stew, like chowder it's really different from just about anywhere else, the chowder is thin and runny, but tastes good and is less fattening than that glue passed off as new england chowder, occasionally it's made with stew beef. the stew is basically aromatics(carrots and onion halves, no garlic)steamed root vegetables(big chunks of carrot, turnip(rutabaga), potatoes and parsnip) with tough cubes of meat, some with bone, doughboys added to the top, if you carmelise the meat it'll add much to the flavour.
trifle:
a layer of cake, white or yellow, layer of pudding, fruit, cake, pudding, fruit, real whipped cream, read the label of the fake stuff and you'll see why i won't even deign to have the stuff in my vicinity.
pork chops and sauerkraut, turnipkraut can be used but it requires different treatment to prevent it becoming something truly vile:
big pot(don't use aluminum, the dish is acid and aluminum will destroy your brain), pork chops enough to cover the bottom, some people add onion, brown them slightly, throw in a weight of frozen sauerkraut equal to the chops. when the kraut is melted enough to smoosh down add potatoes, peeled or otherwise. when a stabbing proves the potatoes cooked, you can add a few slabs of brown or whole wheat bread(penalty for using white bread is 10 lashes with a horse whip for every slice, i joke, maybe, go ahead, eat a whole loaf and see). grab a plate, stab out some bread, slap on some real butter, get some potatoes, kraut and meat, by the time it's cooked the meat will fall from the bone and the sour from the kraut will infuse it, the kraut will temper, you'll be able to eat it as if it were a weiner in the bread like it's a hotdog. beware the place you buy the kraut or you'll be picking green mould out of the meal, you can make your own with dilute vinegar and a frozen cabbage. i like to add crushed chilis and large amounts of black pepper.
fried cabbage:
slice it, toss it in a pan, stir it, add some butter and cooking oil, the butter is for flavour, so don't add much, oil to keep the stuff from burning. you can add onion or chunks of preboiled potatoe from the fridge, little shavings of carrot are really only for colour.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Haha, this is awesome.
I'm a rather poor cook but I will repost something I put up on my blog a few years ago for kicks.
Last week I had an idea for an emergency meal- one that could be prepared at a moment's notice and still look presentable. I suck at cooking, but I just tested it out and the recipe is viable. I give you:

The Emergency Oriental Dinner
Supplies: A small pot, a bowl, a strainer, a dish and fork for whisking eggs, a plate, and saran wrap (optional.)
Ingredients: 1 Package Chicken flavor Ramen, 1 egg, and some water.

1. Pour 2 cups water into the pot and bring to a boil. While you wait for the water to heat, rinse, crack, and whisk an egg in a small dish.
2. Break up ramen noodles laterally and add in. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove the pot from heat. Open flavor packet and shake the msg powder stuff down into one corner. As quickly as possible, dump the packet into the pot and shake out the remains, since the steam will cause the powder to stick to the sides of the packet.
4. Stir in flavor. Pour the ramen into a bowl.
5. Place a strainer over the now empty pot and pour the ramen back into the pot.
6. Dump the noodles out of the strainer onto a plate. Cover the plate with saran wrap to keep it warm (optional.) Put the strainer away.
7. Put the pot back on heat and bring to a boil.
8. Slowly pour in whisked eggs and stir a little. Remove from heat when the egg goop solidifies.
9. Pour the soup back into the bowl. You now have noodles with a side of egg drop soup! (If you're really feeling fancy, you can add in some chopped vegetables to strengthen the subterfuge).

This recipe is great for decieving guests and family alike! Make them think you actually remembered about dinner and prepared a two-course meal. If you really want to lay on the fake oriental bullsh*t, serve them tea beforehand and fortune cookies afterward. Enjoy.
Give me a few more years in college and I'm sure I'll come up with some recipies that are either more amusing or more presentable.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

Here is my: Polenta Patties.

All you need is two metric cups of polenta to four cups of water and two teaspoons of salt.

Chuck all the ingredients in a pot and boil until thick mass.

Put in a lamington tray and refrigerated until firm.

Cut into squares (It might help to squash the patties until their about 1 cm thick) and fry them.

BEWARE: You need enough oil to reach half way up the pattie.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
grendel0226
Merchant
Merchant

Post by grendel0226 »

Stupid question time: What's a lamington tray? Is that something like a cookie sheet or baking pan?
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

A lamington tray is a wide, shallow baking tray.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2