The History Quiz

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

plueschinger
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by plueschinger »

Hello

Me again and i hate to continue with a freequestion. :(
So a question about the greece, like the one from Loki, just easier. 8)
And I hope, easy enough, that someone can answer fast and can continue with his own question.
In which year did the romans conquered greece?
One hint, in this year they won their third war against their main oponent (Hannibal was in the second war a hero of their main opponents).
:wink: 8)

Macedonia was conquered by the romans two years before. :P

Regards
Plueschinger
darthbob88
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by darthbob88 »

Would that be 146BC, following the Roman victory at the Battle of Corinth?
plueschinger
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by plueschinger »

Hello

@Darthbob88
The answer is correct. 8) :wink:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellenistic_Greece
In 146 BC the Greek peninsula, though not the islands, became a Roman protectorate. Roman taxes were imposed, except in Athens and Sparta, and all the cities had to accept rule by Rome's local allies. In 133 BC the last king of Pergamum died and left his kingdom to Rome: this brought most of the Aegean peninsula under direct Roman rule as part of the province of Asia.
Your question.

Regards
Plueschinger
darthbob88
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by darthbob88 »

Thank you sir. In 1949, a major US Navy warship, along with the sister ships of her class, were cancelled only five days after her keel had been laid at Newport News. She was to be the first supercarrier, intended for use in strategic bombing of Soviet naval bases and carrying only a few fighters for tactical defense. In the aftermath of this incident, several high-up officers in the Navy either resigned or were forced to quit and Navy carriers were built around a new design.

Name either
a) The ship and class that were cancelled,
and/or
b) The resulting debate and Congressional hearing.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

urm em..

dreadnought? :P
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

Oblivion wrote:dreadnought?
Dreadnought was British. Entered service in 1906. Decomissioned 1919.

Several others of the same name were also built by the British, but no US Navy ships.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Dreadnought
I want to live in Theory. Everything works in Theory.
darthbob88
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by darthbob88 »

Oblivion wrote:urm em..

dreadnought? :P
Most definitely wrong. The Dreadnought was a revolutionary battleship. Notable for her uniform main battery and the steam turbines that made her the fastest around. The ship in my question was designed to carry strategic bombers and nuclear weapons. Definitely not the same thing.
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

darthbob88 wrote:Most definitely wrong. The Dreadnought was a revolutionary battleship. Notable for her uniform main battery and the steam turbines that made her the fastest around. The ship in my question was designed to carry strategic bombers and nuclear weapons. Definitely not the same thing.
Unless he meant the nuclear submarine of the same name. But, then it still would have been British & not scandalous in it's construction.
darthbob88
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by darthbob88 »

Shissui wrote:
darthbob88 wrote:Most definitely wrong. The Dreadnought was a revolutionary battleship. Notable for her uniform main battery and the steam turbines that made her the fastest around. The ship in my question was designed to carry strategic bombers and nuclear weapons. Definitely not the same thing.
Unless he meant the nuclear submarine of the same name. But, then it still would have been British & not scandalous in it's construction.
And it wasn't cancelled either. But, as a rule, "Dreadnought" unqualified refers to the battleship and not to the fast attack submarine of the same name.
darthbob88
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by darthbob88 »

Since this question has not had a correct answer within 48 hours of it being asked, I shall answer it.

The first answer is the USS United States, CVA-58, while the second is the Revolt of the Admirals. The revolt and the cancellation grew out of a debate and interservice rivalry over who would control nuclear weapons and their delivery. The Air Force felt that they should hold the monopoly, delivering nukes by the use of long-range strategic bombers. The Navy, however, felt that aircraft carriers would decide matters more effectively than long-range bombers; they did, however, make sure that they could carry and deliver nukes for strategic delivery. When the Secretary of Defense, who supported the Air Force's plan, decided to cancel the United States, the Revolt occurred.

The board is open for anyone with a question.
plueschinger
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by plueschinger »

Hello

Me again,
And my question is about ships, exactly about the japanese-russian war
and about the russian baltic fleet and their "Fleet commander Zinovi Petrovich Rozhdestvenski".
It began badly. In the North Sea, the Russians ran into some British fishing trawlers, taking them to be Japanese and sinking one at 100-yard range, killing two British fishermen. Public opinion clamored for war with Russia; in consequence, all British coaling stations along the 5,000 mile route were denied to the Russians. After nearly eight months at sea, his 42 ships had reached 50-mile wide Straits of Tsushima (meaning "Island of the Donkey's Ears" in Japanese) between Japan and Korea. Neither ships nor crews were in any condition to fight.
Normally I wanted to ask, how many ships he lost in the baltic sea and why?
This answer I also accept as correct with a link.
I also wanted to ask, which animals he took in africa on the ships,
This answer I also accept as correct with a link.
It is all in the book of the bigest "naval disasters"
but I couldn't find it in the internet so fast except the above menitioned attack of japanese
submarines in the north sea. :lol: :wink: :roll:

When was this war.

Alternativ a more serious question.
When was the greatest seabattle (with galleys) in the "Mediterranean Sea"
It was not the battle of "Antonius with Cleopatra against Octavian",
but both battles were near the coast of greece. :wink:
it was more than 1500 hundred years and less than 1650 years later.
Around 200.000 people on ships(galleys) fighting eachother.
When was this battle and,or it's name.:wink:

Regards
plueschinger

BTW to the next one, who will answer one of this questions,
don't ask a too complicated one, or give a lot of hints, I don't like to have the next open question (I don't have so many easy questions). :roll:
darthbob88
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by darthbob88 »

Would the answer to the second be the Battle of Lepanto?
plueschinger
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by plueschinger »

Hello

@darthbob88
Your question again. :wink:
It was the "Battle of Lepanto" in october 1571.
I just wonder about the difference about the amount of troups,
in your link less than 100.000 in my link 200.000
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seeschlacht_von_Lepanto.

The second answer is the russian-japanese war 1904-1905
The incident in the north sea is called the "Dogger Bank incident"
http://encycl.opentopia.com/term/Dogger_Bank_incident
really stupid and funny to read. :lol:
Also to find hereThe 5 Worst Military Blunders of the 20th Century
Fleet commander Zinovi Petrovich Rozhdestvenski lost his entire fleet in the
"battle of Battle of Tsushima" 27 May–28 May 1905
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Japanese_War

Regards
Plueschinger
darthbob88
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by darthbob88 »

Just read through those links you gave. Now there are some things to be proud of, militarily speaking. :lol: :oops:

My Question: The Continental Army, during the American Revolution, was fairly poor quality. They had problems with logistics, discipline, training, short enlistments, and interstate rivalries. Matters improved noticeably over the years from 1775-77, through trial and error improvements, but the discipline and training of the army increased noticeably during the winter of 77-78, due largely to the addition of a Prussian baron and Army colonel. Give his name; full name not required, but it will earn you brownie points.
darthbob88
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by darthbob88 »

Suggested algorithm for solving questions like this: Find anything which might make it special, put the answer into a smaller set of possibilities. From there, check out anything that might possibly be the answer or lead to it. Lather, rinse, repeat.

This algorithm applied to my previous query about the USS United States:
The question mentions that the ship is a supercarrier and that it was cancelled. That sends me to this page, which also tells me that the USS United States was cancelled due to a debate over the "Carriers vs Bombers" argument. It makes little mention of the scandal that resulted, but wikipedia sends me to this page, which does. Question answered.

Edit: One other thing. Never, ever, limit the sources you choose to draw from. There is no reason in the world why the correct answer won't be available on the interweb, and there is no reason why the correct answer can't be found in hard text. Use both as needed.
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

darthbob88 wrote:Never, ever, limit the sources you choose to draw from. There is no reason in the world why the correct answer won't be available on the interweb, and there is no reason why the correct answer can't be found in hard text. Use both as needed.
As this thread explicitly disallows the use of web resources, perhaps you should start a parallel thread ?
plueschinger
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by plueschinger »

Hello

I don't know really nothing about the american revolution except the "Boston tea party",
but in my had in the back of my brain with old nearly forgotten things is the name "Blücher", I think this could be the wanted name, no I'm quit shure, (I think there are old films about the american revolution and him).
Without internet research!!! :wink:

@Shissui
You're right, no internet, but with intelligent questening, like (it couldn't have been earlier than 1307) and then a good answer( no, it was later) , and one more hint
then again a cool question and one more hint and so on....:roll: :wink:
to find the correct answer is cool

Please not me again.
Regards
Plueschinger

BTW: @Shissui, if I answered the question correctly, can i pass the next question to you?
darthbob88
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by darthbob88 »

Feldmarschall Gebhard von Blucher, apparently, was one of the commanders at Waterloo. His Prussian corps, combined with Wellington's troops, defeated the forces under Nappy, and did so quite decisively.

The person I'm thinking of is a different Baron, from about 40 years previous.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

meh your questions are all about the us! :wink: no idea. :lol:
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
darthbob88
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by darthbob88 »

Oblivion wrote:meh your questions are all about the us! :wink: no idea. :lol:
Not all of them; I asked two questions about Russian military hardware and one about the Danelaw. :D You're right though, I do ask a lot of US-centric questions.

A reporter was interviewing people from various countries about their opinions on the lack of food in the rest of the world. There were no useful results; in Eastern Europe, they didn't understand "opinion". In Western Europe, they didn't understand "lack". In Africa and Asia, they didn't understand "food". And in America, they had trouble with "rest of the world".
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

darthbob88 wrote:The person I'm thinking of is a different Baron, from about 40 years previous.
I can only think of Baron von Steuben here, most known from the Steuben Parade in NYC. I seem to remember that he was a personal friend of George Washington. Steuben introduced a german-american friendship lasting until Wilhelm II. After the independence war was over, the "old Fritz" sent a sword to George Washington, with the insignia "from the oldest General to the Best". Also, the popularity of Steuben lead to an US congress debate which would be the official language in the USA, german or english. English won by only a few votes.

So I say Baron von Steuben.
darthbob88
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by darthbob88 »

Dilloh wrote:
darthbob88 wrote:The person I'm thinking of is a different Baron, from about 40 years previous.
I can only think of Baron von Steuben here, most known from the Steuben Parade in NYC. I seem to remember that he was a personal friend of George Washington. Steuben introduced a german-american friendship lasting until Wilhelm II. After the independence war was over, the "old Fritz" sent a sword to George Washington, with the insignia "from the oldest General to the Best". Also, the popularity of Steuben lead to an US congress debate which would be the official language in the USA, german or english. English won by only a few votes.

So I say Baron von Steuben.
Correctamundo. Baron Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben, first Inspector-General of the United States and father of the US Army, joined the American forces during the fall of 1777 and began training Continental soldiers in March of '78. His training program led to improved discipline and morale among the soldiers, his ideas on camp sanitation improved their health, and taught them to use the bayonet. Without him, we in the States might still be speaking British English.

The question is yours sir.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Thanks darthbob88. Hooking up with USA questions:

Which newspaper was the first one to report the decision of the US congress to accept the declaration of independence?

Name the newspaper and the language in which the article appeared.

Hints:

On 4th of July, the text was being printed for the US congress (naturally).

On 5th of July, the text was released in the newspaper mentioned above.

On 6th of July, the text was released in another newspaper, the "Pennsylvania Evening Post" for the english-speaking citizens for the first time.

The newspaper we're looking for was also being printed in Pennsylvania and has a long tradition.

Hard to google, eh? :twisted:
darthbob88
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by darthbob88 »

Dilloh wrote:Hard to google, eh? :twisted:
Not really; I googled "german newspapers pennsylvania" and got as one of the results this page, which states that the newspaper was the Pennsylvanischer Staatsbote, which published a German translation July 5. My google-fu is strong, but is this the answer you wanted?
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

:oops: Correct. I wouldn't have thought this would be so easy to find, cus I had it for myself in a german-american history book and assumed this one wouldn't be at google/wiki.

Again, your turn darthbob88