Star Control 4! That won't stink!

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Star Control 4! That won't stink!

Post by CubOfJudahsLion »

Hola Pkunkos!

Remember Star Control?

I've brought the topic a couple of times in past. Previously, I did it to point people to the site where the Open-Source version of StarControl 2 resides. It's fun, at least the first 20 times you play it.

Well, apparently the Interstellar Frungy League has been up to something. The authors of the original two games (not the third one, which almost gave the series a bad name except that fans somehow deny it ever existed) are ready and willing to start work on a third installment. Apparently, signing the petition isn't always a waste of time... which comes as much as a shock for me as it does for you.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

nice to see your avatar agian cub :D never played the originals no comp at the time :cry:

Enjoy the Choice :)
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

There is only one problem... didnt they loose the rights to the name "Star Contol"
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

@CubOfJudahsLion

long time not sea...
<meby offtopic>
can your pm my the irc chat log Pimp My Space Ship?
</meby offtopic>
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

Awesome. Starcontrol was awesome. I hope that if they go through with it they make it more starflight-like though.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Hey CoJL!

I've heard about this through the UQM forum and have sent a support email to TFB already. Still, good to see the word getting spread! :D

mkruer: Yes, atari currently owns the trademark "Star Control", but that doesn't mean that TFB/Activision can't buy it from them.

www2: heheh... I'd like to get that again too. I tried looking for it but could not find it anywhere.
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

While Starflight was superior in virtually every way, StarControl 2 was an awesome game. I've sent my petition to activision!
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by CubOfJudahsLion »

Hey guys :)

@hurleybird: I'll have to check that game :)

@www2: sorry, I lost the file.

Bringing in the original developers for a new game would generate a lot of good word-of-mouth, so Toys for Bob is actually doing this whole campaign to convince the actual license holder.

This is a first. In sci-fi gaming, parting of ways has notoriously involved the license and the creative talent involves the death of said series (think Homeworld and FreeSpace). This is a different case though -- the games were a financial hit (even the horrid 3rd installment), and the developers are not disgruntled, even though they were for a time. But they love the series, and so did the public.