so what about x3 then?

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

strangelet
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

so what about x3 then?

Post by strangelet »

omg - been playing x3. are you guys nervous yet?
- - above and beyond - -
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

No, because you have to pay for it.
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

I would totally pay for it if it didn't come with starforce. I quite enjoyed X2, so this is a shame :(
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

Ah, copy protection. Punishes the honest, while pirates are able to get passed it with so little effort....

The sad thing is that the pirates are the ones who don't need to worry about copy protection screwing up their system.
zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

i went out and bough it. I don't really have a problem with the copy protection, myself. It looks absolutely awesome... problem is my system has trouble running it on the lowest specs :-( Time to go and buy a new system i guess... gonna try and get a 7800
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

zaydana wrote:I don't really have a problem with the copy protection, myself.
It would probably work just fine here too, my problem with it is on principle. I don't need new CD drivers, thanks ;) I just don't like stuff messing with the internals of my system like that when it doesn't really need to.

They of course feel that it does need to, to prevent piracy (nevermind it only takes one cracker before anyone can download it and not have to worry about fscked system files, unlike paying customers). That's their business decision. Mine then becomes not to give them my dollar (teh Adam Smith capitalism!)

Time will tell if the "I'll buy it anyway" votes outweigh the "I won't pay for starforce" votes. IMHO the ongoing gradual shift to console games is one sign that they won't.
Paslowo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Paslowo »

I'll buy X3 whenever it gets a lot cheaper.
Spare-Flair
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Spare-Flair »

Paslowo wrote:I'll buy X3 whenever it gets a lot cheaper.
That's the attitude that caused Wing Commander to die as a franchise - not enough commercial sales for EA to justify keeping it around or investing anymore into what the execs saw as a money-pit.

Sorry, I'm overzealous about supporting the space-sim genre because I've seen nothing but all my favorite games and franchises whither away without any future in the past decade.
Ryder P. Moses
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Ryder P. Moses »

So if you really believe in the false 'vote with your dollars' model of economics, why don't you just buy two copies and quit trying to guilt people into buying something they don't need on absurdist grounds?

Make that three, you'll have to compensate for me since I refuse to pay fifty dollars for three hours of wrestling with bugs and maybe two hours of actual entertainment.
Spare-Flair
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Spare-Flair »

Ryder P. Moses wrote:So if you really believe in the false 'vote with your dollars' model of economics, why don't you just buy two copies and quit trying to guilt people into buying something they don't need on absurdist grounds?

Make that three, you'll have to compensate for me since I refuse to pay fifty dollars for three hours of wrestling with bugs and maybe two hours of actual entertainment.
I would have bought two copies but the publisher was retarded and somehow only sent 1 copy to each EB in Canada.

I have indeed spent probably 3 hours wrestling with bugs, but the game is compelling enough that I rather enjoy getting it to work right. I've also spent more than 300 hours playing it. And yes, I have disabled Starforce because it's a pain in the ass. If you want to know how to do it, just goto torrentspy and look up the torrent for the game, but only after buying the damn thing first. Buggy as it was, even the manual was incorrectly printed, much of everything is fixed by new patches.