Vegastrike-Taose

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

Itusa
Hunter
Hunter

Vegastrike-Taose

Post by Itusa »

What is this
  • While some work has been conducted on Vega Strike since 2012, very little of it has been published and largely development tried up since 5.1.r1, which appears to have been doubly hampered by a switch to Github. While Vega Strike has an exciting premise of being, potentially the only Open Source 3D space-ship simulation that travels to other star systems, it has lost the interest of many developers for reasons not exactly known.

That is where my Fork comes in although it is not alone, Ezee' French Fork and their "Evolution" version of Vega Strike, some developers have chosen to go in a completely different direction to the trading a combat simulation of Vega Strike's origins. Instead, I hope to continue the existing work on the original Vega Strike and keep it as close as possible to the original aims and objectives carefully listening to users and developers and provide a rapid but consistent development process.

Cleaning up the code and clearing out the debug material is one of the things that a number of developers have raised, so this is our priority. We've already updated the code to bring Vega Strike back to a compilable status and we're beginning to look at the documentation as well.
What we want
  • Intrepid users/coders/testers/developers who...
    • Are willing to test the fixes.
    • Propose better solutions.
    • Identify problems and convert them to issues.
    • Work on their own mods and projects to enhance Vega Strike
    • Tackle the challenges that half the code has in built.
    • Can read, assess and provide brief descriptions of what a function/module does
    That and a lot more, we also need more experienced coders for tackling The Mesher, Ogre API support and the Netclient! So if you think you could be up to the task, have a poke around.
What we offer
  • Ongoing active reviewing and development.
  • An organization structure based on flexibility, while being consistent and open minded.
  • A Github newb friendly environment.
Thanks for reading
  • This project is intended to be not the next step in Vega Strike development but the steady advancement of the main in a logically consistent way and keep it maintained so that all users can enjoy what Vega Strike is and has always been about. The freedom explore between many solar systems.

If the original developers ever return, it is our hope that they will see Vegastrike-taose as the best place to grab the updates and fixes that they need or better yet to officially sanction it as the main development branch. We can hope!

Permission grabbed:
One that more or less compiles and has current active development? Maybe not...professional development :oops: but development nevertheless?

Currently working on trying to "clean" the code and get rid of the warnings, with some hope to update from Boost 1.53 to Boost 1.63 as well.

Obviously I'm interested in getting more contributors. Slowly but surely of course.
Last edited by Itusa on Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Operating System: (Linux) Ubuntu 16.10 (Yakkety)
Vegastrike-taose: 0.5.1
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Can I advertise an up to date Github fork?

Post by loki1950 »

Please do shout about it 8)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Itusa
Hunter
Hunter

Re: Vegastrike-Taose

Post by Itusa »

There's been both a release and now there's a "Pre-Release Release Candidate" available for testing, feed back would be appreciated.

https://github.com/Taose/Vegastrike-taose/releases
Itusa
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Itusa »

We've now got it working on Fedora again after a couple of tweaks.

https://github.com/Taose/Vegastrike-tao ... w-to-Build

Also, we're working through all the warnings. Most of them have now been solved but there are still a few pesky one around. We could definitely use more assistance on those ones.

https://github.com/Taose/Vegastrike-taose/issues/92 - Maybe uninitialized warnings
https://github.com/Taose/Vegastrike-taose/issues/84 - Enum issues
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

I am re-embarking on the quijotesque task of getting VS to compile on Windows with free tools... and chose this branch to experiment with.

So far I have the following.

System: Win7 x64
Build environment and toolchain: MSYS2 with mingw-w64; using mingw32 flavor inside this system.
Installed prerequisites via pacman: base-devel, gcc, gcc-liobs, libc++, SDL, SDL_image, vorbis, GTK++2, python2, ncurses and I'm probably forgetting a few.
Installed cmake. By default on this platform ccmake is not installed. I tried building it from cmake source but it doesn't get built either. Apparently it's a known problem with cmake on mingw, not resolved. To use cmake-gui (which does exist on this platform) I had to install QT5 which is a 5GB download and 28GB when installed. Grr. Anyway...

Cloned Vegastrike-Taose from the git repository.
made engine/build directory
started cmake-gui from the build directory.

Attempted configure; the process stops because it doesn't find libpng.
However, libpng is installed. The header png.h is in ${msys_install_dir}/mingw32/include/png.h, and the library in ${msys_install_dir}/lib/libpng.dll.a
The exact error is

Code: Select all

Checking for module 'libpng'
  No package 'libpng' found
CMake Error at C:/msys64/mingw32/share/cmake-3.13/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:457 (message):
  A required package was not found
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  C:/msys64/mingw32/share/cmake-3.13/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:627 (_pkg_check_modules_internal)
  FindPNG.cmake:17 (pkg_check_modules)
  CMakeLists.txt:811 (find_package)
I've checked CMakefiles/CMakeOutput.log but there is no mention there of what went wrong.

Comparing engine/FindPNG.cmake with engine/Find Vorbis.cmake it is unclear why Vorbis is found and PNG is not; they both have a very similar structure and search the same paths. FindVorbis.cmake works without issues

Found Vorbis: C:/msys64/mingw32/lib/libvorbis.dll.a;C:/msys64/mingw32/lib/libvorbisfile.dll.a;C:/msys64/mingw32/lib/libogg.dll.a
I tried editing FindPNG.cmake to add extra paths and names to search for {/include, /lib, png.h, libpng.dll.a) but that didn't work, I get the same error.
I even tried to add manually the correct paths and filenames to CMakeCache.txt, but at the next attempt of configuration it ignores them and gives the error again

PNG_LIBRARIES:FILEPATH=C:/msys64/mingw32/lib/libpng.dll.a
PNG_INCLUDE_DIRS:PATH=C:/msys64/mingw32/include
Both ogg/vorbis and png are installed in a similar manner

$ locate ogg.h
/mingw32/include/ogg/ogg.h
/mingw64/include/ogg/ogg.h

$ locate png.h
/mingw32/include/libpng16/png.h
/mingw32/include/png.h
(FWIW the build is successful on a recent Ubuntu, after hunting and installing all prerequisites)
make me a sandwich
make: *** No rule to make target 'me'. Stop.
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

@Itusa Some three years later there is work being done on the Vegastrike GitHub tracker.
The Taose fork is mentioned here: https://github.com/vegastrike/Vega-Stri ... /issues/61
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.