Fundraising?

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

Dawe
Merchant
Merchant

Fundraising?

Post by Dawe »

Hasn't anybody thought about putting a crowdfunding for Vega Strike with the purpose of getting someone to develop easy ways to develop new content for VS. Things to easen contents would be a comprehensible mission editor, easy way to get 3d-models in to game and a general clean up in the coding etc. The list of stuff that needs to be done can made long, very long. Making it easy to contribute to VS, to easily see the results of ones contributions could be a good way to get new contributors who actually stay with the project. Also it would make VS more unsensitive to real life interruptions.

I have no idea on regarding how much work is needed for the implementations i suggest but I think the question needs to be raised and discussed properly.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Re: Fundraising?

Post by Deus Siddis »

It is a solid approach; 0 A.D. (an open source historically themed RTS game) pulled in over 30k USD a couple months ago.

But it sounds like you need to have a programmer very well versed with the engine and committed to working full time on the project for somewhere between three months and two years, depending on the funding achieved. That means abandoning their existing job or freelance business.

And there must be enough that can be reasonably accomplished to make it worth people's money. I would worry that after the content oriented tasks you mention are done, that VS could still feel very broken because all of the lower level issues, like limited and glitchy AI, most everything having to be constructed out of sub-units and no dynamic economy or documentation of the API used by missions or the dynamic universe. So you might have to target more or a different selection of tasks to make VS work as a complete game.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

I'll second that I'm a member of the 0AD forums the programmer that was hired had worked on the project before so he was very familiar with the full source tree,even then there was lots of discussion on what specificity he would do.He has since left due to real life issuses,and the current project leader has become a full time developer.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

The amount of work the 0ad team are doing is really inspiring. One of my favourite projects (other than this... ;-) ) that has been frustrating to follow is LMMS with long periods of no activity but now the project has just exploded with activity and new people are joining. One of the factors that has motivated people is that they moved from Sourceforge to Github.
https://github.com/LMMS/lmms

I don't think you can effectively use crowdfunding when there is so little activity here so one would need to somehow kindle the fire a bit first.
Here's a nice try:
http://forums.vega-strike.org/viewtopic ... 37&t=19115
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.