Recent movies I've seen

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

Spaceman
Explorer
Explorer

Recent movies I've seen

Post by Spaceman »

recent movies I liked:

Oblivion - not really a space movie, but incredible special effects and overall more enjoyable than After Earth (which came out at the same time)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - aside from the obvious cash grab, it's quite a thrill ride, with good music, great special effects, and (part of) one of the best fantasy stories ever written (and reproduced faithfully enough)
Prometheus - probably the best space movie of the last five years, right up there with Avatar, Outlander, and various others
Olympus Has Fallen - a decent action movie that is a good Die Hard ripoff and really packs a punch
A Good Day to Die Hard - I would call it the best movie of 2013, simply because it is well executed, fun and enjoyable all the way through
Pain and Gain - it manages to be deep, emotional, inspiring, and depressing, all at the same time
Riddick - a good sci-fi action movie that is better than The Chronicles of Riddick, though for different reasons than you would expect (reminds me of Starship Troopers or something)
Man of Steel - definitely not a Superman movie, but it actually has a lot to offer in terms of plot, special effects, and all kinds of weird action stuff that is a lot to take in but also enjoyable (sort of like Batman Returns meets The Avengers meets X-Men meets Red Rock West meets Dances with Wolves)
Elysium - it's actually a really good space movie, and it plays out like a video game but with a (somewhat) better story

movies that almost could have made it:

After Earth - too little story and too little space stuff; it could have been longer
Gravity - the serious sciencey stuff was ruined by the explosive Hollywood plot
Cloud Atlas - really marginal and I would have loved it if it weren't quite so weird
Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters - good action but somewhat forgettable

movies that sucked or were otherwise forgettable (in my opinion):

The Wolverine - fun movie with some good emotional moments, but just really dumb
The Last Stand - boring, Arnold isn't really a star or something
World War Z - had a great start but turned into complete shit and managed to be even worse than the book
Iron Man 3 - generic dumb superhero movie of the year; Iron Man 2 was so much better
Star Trek: Into Darkness - a sequel that insults an already terrible movie which should never have existed
Jack the Giant Slayer - not the worst children's movie ever, but still a children's movie
G.I. Joe: Retaliation - dumb shit which happened to have Bruce Willis and The Rock
The Hangover III - just boring
Django Unchained - too campy

movies that confused me:

Identity Thief - was a chick flick I guess, but so sadly generic and passionless that I don't know what to call it
Europa Report - weird indie film about space
Ender's Game - not a bad movie, but forgettable due to the long laser tag sequences
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Re: Recent movies I've seen

Post by pheonixstorm »

Yeah, After Earth was a let down for me... It was rather slow and Smith's son just isn't a seasoned enough actor to have an unsupported lead caracter. He did well in the Karate Kid reboot but lets face it, w/o Jackie that film wouldn't have done well either. The basic story was almost there, decent back story as well.

Riddick... well, too much like the second film yet not. I enjoyed it and it did well to tie up the last two films but felt like a rehash of the first film. The pet was a nice touch though ;)

Die Hard. Just that.. the series needs to die hard and stay dead. As I have seen all of them now, the whole thing is just getting tedious and pointless. The only bright spot is that the kids are all grown up now and they did managed to get them into this film in some way.

Man of Steel.. A better superman reboot though I have mixed feeling about the next film which including a new Batman... Seriously, let Batman go. There will never be another dark knight that can top the last trilogy. Don't ruin a remarkable superman reboot by including batman, especially one played by Ben Affleck (anyone remember Daredevil??)

Star Trek reboots. I enjoyed both of them so far and am not disappointed so far. I have seen all the ST films to date and disliked only a few. Now they TV series spin-offs are another matter.... did we REALLY need Voyager or Deep Space 9?
Olympus Has Fallen - a decent action movie that is a good Die Hard ripoff and really packs a punch
Actually I disagree of it being a die hard ripoff. Felt more like Under Siege. Good movie though if its the one i'm thinking of.

Ender's Game was actually pretty good and kept close to the book. The laser tag though was part of the story. Also part of the training to figure out who would go to command school. Better tactics, better commander. The book had a lot more such wargames.

If you get a chance look for a copy of the live action Space Battleship Yamato (subtitled). It is a good sci-fi space oriented movie.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: Recent movies I've seen

Post by klauss »

Spaceman wrote:Star Trek: Into Darkness - a sequel that insults an already terrible movie which should never have existed
What?

The Wrath of Kahn was one of the best of the series.

I agree though Into the Darkness is insulting to the Wrath of Kahn. It's fun to watch though.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe