Fusion rockets ho!

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Fusion rockets ho!

Post by pheonixstorm »

Spotted this earlier tonight on yahoo. Looks like NASA is looking into something other than Ion propulsion for system exploration. Anyone up for a quick (30 day) jaunt to mars??

Couple this (since Federation ships were fusion powered anyway) and a working warp drive and youve got NCC-1701 ready to explore the galaxy :lol: 8) The only thing missing is the matter-antimatter setup, and that could well be possible in the next 50 years.

Are transporters missing? No, not really. There was an article posted a few years back (somewhere, maybe yahoo) that scientist were able to transport light from one location to another.

And last techno marvel, how about solar collection farms in orbit collecting an unlimited amount of energy from the sun and beaming it down to various relay stations on earth. Yet another tech in the works :mrgreen:

Now if only they can get sky farms and Atificial Trees up and running... Oh well, to dream a dream
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: Fusion rockets ho!

Post by klauss »

pheonixstorm wrote:Spotted this earlier tonight on yahoo. Looks like NASA is looking into something other than Ion propulsion for system exploration. Anyone up for a quick (30 day) jaunt to mars??
Me! Me! Me! :D
pheonixstorm wrote:Couple this (since Federation ships were fusion powered anyway) and a working warp drive and youve got NCC-1701 ready to explore the galaxy :lol: 8) The only thing missing is the matter-antimatter setup, and that could well be possible in the next 50 years.
There was a guy with a web page trying to get funding to build it. He was an engineer, so he knew his stuff, and said only needed a few billions from government funding ;)
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

pheonixstorm wrote: Spotted this earlier tonight on yahoo.
*cough*coldfusion*cough*
The only thing missing is the matter-antimatter setup, and that could well be possible in the next 50 years.
Doesn't annihilation produce mostly gamma rays? How do you turn that into useful energy efficiently?
Are transporters missing? No, not really. There was an article posted a few years back (somewhere, maybe yahoo) that scientist were able to transport light from one location to another.
It might kill you instantly, but at least a perfect duplicate will be created at the destination, able to pick up your life where you left off (until he too steps into a transporter and is obliterated). The average lifespan of people who use this technology will be two weeks.
And last techno marvel, how about solar collection farms in orbit collecting an unlimited amount of energy from the sun and beaming it down to various relay stations on earth.
Or perhaps one around the sun itself, orbiting a little closer than mercury. Turning some of its enormous energy intake into the only economically viable antimatter production scheme.
Now if only they can get sky farms
Then there will be nothing stopping our population from reaching 10 trillion. Yea!

I have been thinking about a layered design like this being used for the agriculture module of VS' space stations. Though without gravity to deal with, an even more radical layout might make sense.
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

@nice article phoenix
klauss wrote:There was a guy with a web page trying to get funding to build it. He was an engineer, so he knew his stuff, and said only needed a few billions from government funding ;)
I need dig some time in my mail archive and here is the link to the guy that wand to build ncc-1701.
http://www.buildtheenterprise.org/
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

www2 wrote: @nice article phoenix
klauss wrote:There was a guy with a web page trying to get funding to build it. He was an engineer, so he knew his stuff, and said only needed a few billions from government funding ;)
I need dig some time in my mail archive and here is the link to the guy that wand to build ncc-1701.
http://www.buildtheenterprise.org/
There needs to be a sister project for fans of star wars, with the goal of building a star destroyer in orbit to destroy the enterprise replica and rule the galaxy with an iron fist.
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

Well. There was a petition to build a Death Star. :shock:
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
log0

Post by log0 »

Deus Siddis wrote:*cough*coldfusion*cough*
Don't want to dive too much into fringe stuff, but there has been some weird stuff going on in the EU. 8)
Check the pdfs here http://www.enea.it/it/Ufficio-Bruxelles ... ons-effect
Agenda: http://www.enea.it/it/Ufficio-Bruxelles ... agenda-pdf
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

log0 wrote:
Deus Siddis wrote:*cough*coldfusion*cough*
Don't want to dive too much into fringe stuff, but there has been some weird stuff going on in the EU. 8)
Check the pdfs here http://www.enea.it/it/Ufficio-Bruxelles ... ons-effect
Agenda: http://www.enea.it/it/Ufficio-Bruxelles ... agenda-pdf
Fusion is the next great energy source, always has been and always will be.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Deus Siddis wrote:Fusion is the next great energy source, always has been and always will be.
Maybe. It's whether it's cold or hot what defines whether it's sci or fi.
Wing Commander Universe
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

I wonder if anything will ever come of the zero-point energy research

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... t-research

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_energy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-point_energy

but then there's this.. which so far I have found some of its articles to be laughable. http://science.howstuffworks.com/enviro ... energy.htm

At least I know one tech used in the Stargate Tv series wasn't a complete sci-fantasy :) Beyond rail guns anyway.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
log0

Post by log0 »

klauss wrote:
Deus Siddis wrote:Fusion is the next great energy source, always has been and always will be.
Funny thing is, they are not calling the Fleischmann-Pons stuff cold fusion anymore. It seems to be something else (maybe some weird kind of electron capture). It seems to cause transmutation too, according to Toyota and Mitsubishi research. But from what I can grasp nobody has got an idea what it is. So they call it "anomalous heat effect". ;)
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

klauss wrote:
I suppose in the context of the next hundred years or so. But it feels like science magazines and such have been over-hyping recent happenings in hot fusion as well. Mostly because of some positive language coming out of the US' national ignition facility (I believe it was) about achieving ignition last year, which was amplified by the media, but then didn't pan out.
log0 wrote: Funny thing is, they are not calling the Fleischmann-Pons stuff cold fusion anymore. It seems to be something else (maybe some weird kind of electron capture). It seems to cause transmutation too, according to Toyota and Mitsubishi research. But from what I can grasp nobody has got an idea what it is. So they call it "anomalous heat effect". ;)
I wonder how close is this heat effect to the amount of energy put into the experiment?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Like I read somewhere: fusion is always 20 years ahead.
Wing Commander Universe
log0

Post by log0 »

Deus Siddis wrote:I wonder how close is this heat effect to the amount of energy put into the experiment?
"... size of the effect varies considerably in an uncontrolled way" which seems to make replication hard too.

There are some claims that it is a nano scale surface cavities effect and that the heat produced would have adverse impact by melting reaction sites and destroying the sample. Let's see if they manage to figure this one out. A lot of guesswork, no theory and being ignored by mainstream doesn't help either I guess.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

log0 wrote:
Deus Siddis wrote:I wonder how close is this heat effect to the amount of energy put into the experiment?
"... size of the effect varies considerably in an uncontrolled way" which seems to make replication hard too.

There are some claims that it is a nano scale surface cavities effect and that the heat produced would have adverse impact by melting reaction sites and destroying the sample. Let's see if they manage to figure this one out. A lot of guesswork, no theory and being ignored by mainstream doesn't help either I guess.
It's being ignored by mainstream, last I heard, because the experiments are being carried out with very poor methodology. If they figure it out, it'll be a miracle.
Wing Commander Universe
log0

Post by log0 »

klauss wrote:
log0 wrote:

It's being ignored by mainstream, last I heard, because the experiments are being carried out with very poor methodology. If they figure it out, it'll be a miracle.
May be... I am not in the position to judge. Hopefully, the new Institute at the University of Missouri will be able to change this, they should have the manpower and facilities to get it right.