heyo guys

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: heyo guys

Post by klauss »

Ok, then PM me whenever you need it.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

i'm mostly done porting the game and data over to python3.

Pretty much python3 is ready to go. My Only problem is my lack of experience with python3. I'm running into a little issue where .py modules can't seem to see the embedded modules in the vegastrike binary. ie, import VS fails with module not found. It builds just fine and it's boosted up with the correct boost rev, so it should be wrapped correctly....

I think it's time i fork the source base to 0.6 and merge these changes and maybe someone with a bit more python in them can see what i'm missing. I have tested the game by manually running various modules and it's fast. Granted, my video card sucks so hard ....and it's not running a lot of the VS-isms ....the basic game runs just fine. I do not expect there to be any python related problems once this import snafu is figured out.

The porting was actually much easier than i thought it would be.

After that i want to tackle some of the ideas we are rolling around for changing gameplay. Initially these ideas will be mostly just modifying lightly the python and xml that lays things out and describes ai tendencies. .. If it works though, much more in depth changes can be put into play that makes the whole thing more immersive. but we have to see how things go and ease into that transition. Luckily the lack of extensive project/mod activity helps us here since there is no real chance of resistence to trying out new things.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

Holy christ svn is like stepping back into time with version control. It may make some sense for binary data blobs, but it is piss poor for code...
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Come on!

I've used mercurial. It's not that much of an improvement. I think the merit of DSVC is overstated.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

with svn, i always had to mantain multiple copies of the repo to deal with merging and patching and piece-mealing patches so they were coherent. With git that's never a problem. That's my only arguement and it's like night and day. meh.

anyways... the repo for /data and /vegastrike should be ready for debugging soon.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Shame we cant use svn for data and git for code. Would make some things easier. After having used git for my WZ Redemption project I have come to like git, at least the windows app from github. Haven't used any other git apps yet.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

pheonixstorm wrote:Shame we cant use svn for data and git for code. Would make some things easier. After having used git for my WZ Redemption project I have come to like git, at least the windows app from github. Haven't used any other git apps yet.

indeed. but in any case...

I've made progress with getting python3 's builtin modules (VS, Base, Director etc) to work. My extremely crappy nouveau graphics driver and inability to get the proprietary drivers to work with kernel 3.7.8 now that my card is using legacy ones is really holding me back

Edit:

I can play in software mode via disabling hardware GL for the program..... seems to have solved my nouveau lockups.

I'll be committing some changes to the py3 branch soon.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

... Deleting boost 1.45 was very bad on you, you just broke the windows version :evil: :x :roll:

So.. guess I will have to try adding 1.50 onto the svn since you didn't bother with it :cry: :lol:

Just remember this mantra. Windows works windows works windows works. Mac doesn't (which was the only reason 1.28 was never removed)
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

0.6 is not going to maintain any old revs of libraries beyond the current major revisions. that means no old ass boosts.. no old ass python. I'm not even happy with the gtk code which is why i'm gonna look into moving all that to python toolkits.

It's not like I'm going crazy and saying we need to jump on every new release of every lib whenever it comes out. these things have been out for years now and this is the perfect time to do this. Activity is low. Mods that can't find the time to move with us likely wont want to have the codebase change under them either, so they aren't served by riding the trunk anyway. They will be perfectly fine sticking to the rev they based their mod on and it will continue to work so long as the people have the correct old libs to run it.

Now is the perfect time.
as for windows people.. i didn't pull in 1.50 because i'm still in the process of debugging ...
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

One thing I've learned, debugging something under linux does not always fix the problem under windows. :p

Also, we need to find out if 1.5 will compiler with the mac build or what will need to be fixed to make it work... there was someone who was going to work on it but I don't think it ever went anywhere :(
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

0.6 thread for further updates about the refactoring