heyo guys

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

safemode
Developer
Developer

heyo guys

Post by safemode »

How are things going? I've been dipping into the android pool when i can but it is not a replacement for some straight space coding. I have a nice 8 core with 32gb ram i use for android development that is eager to get back into some vs building. Just need to throw a 7850 graphics card on it so I can test vs. Android requires much less GPU :). So what all did I miss?
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: heyo guys

Post by klauss »

Lets see... I don't think much. Right now, the most insteresting thing happening though is a much needed rebalance of physics. And I'm getting ready to re-implement physics with SIMD and oc-heap culling to make it more... sane... RK-4 integration, cuadratic interpolation... the works.

But none of that is in SVN yet. So what you missed in SVN, is probably some minor artwork stuff, and some major bugfixes.

Heads up: current SVN head has a nasty segfault from a bad commit of mine. I'm fixing it in my working copy, and will commit as soon as I'm ready to.

Oh... I added planet-station shadows, and will work on planet-planet or planet-ring/ring-planet shadows. That'll be cool to watch on a high end system, full shader detail, I'm drooling...
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

Does the host offer git ? Been forever since I've dealt with svn. Might be worthwhile to test a migrate
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I think so, but I doubt we'll switch to GIT. Migrating the whole history would be cumbersome (not to mention I just dislike GIT a lot, and the alternatives like Mercurial aren't really good candidates for the amount of binary content we have).

You can always use git-svn (git-like SVN frontend).
Wing Commander Universe
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

Hrmm. True.

I have the svn pulled. I'll build when I get home.

Had an idea for planetary interaction.

What do you think about wrapping a planet in our nebula unit? Ignore the visual for now. We could automatically induce drag anddamage and foggy view. Some minor modification could give us some functional upper atmosphere. Go too low and we could make the damage destroy ships well before they get low enough to make our short cut noticeable. None of our ships would really be suited for low atmosphere anyway.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Effectors, rather than nebula. I've proposed the idea several times. A nebula-like unit type that induces drag, damage, shield drain, radar interference, whatever you want, but is otherwise invisible. We could wrap many things in those (notorious example, stars).
Wing Commander Universe
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

safemode wrote: How are things going? I've been dipping into the android pool when i can but it is not a replacement for some straight space coding.
Yeah you are probably arriving at just the right time to save the day; this project has been mostly adrift as far as new features and refactoring goes.

Not totally VS related, but you might have missed the appearance of the also open source Pioneer game. Probably worth checking out when you get your video card. It is to Frontier as VS is to Privateer.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome back Ed even if it's just till RL drops another complication your way 8) like the wrapper idea as well.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

I plan on staying. Video card may take a bit.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

takes me 1.5 minutes to compile all :)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

It's all those cores :cry: Takes my system about 5 min so scaling to 8 and 1.5 min seems to be about right.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Cool. What kind of cores are those? I have an i7 that takes longer than 1.5 minutes (though it's fast... maybe 3 minutes...).
Wing Commander Universe
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

amd 8350 ...32GB ram and ssd.

real 1m36.352s
user 10m42.547s
sys 0m30.267s

just ccmake and then make. that includes mesher and friends
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

The RAM size and ssd most likely contribute to that speed increase a well but the number of cores is predominant .

safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

well, I can load up the game now. I just can't do anything in it with these POS nouveau drivers. And the legacy nvidia proprietary drivers dont work with my 3.7.8 kernel. So it looks like i wont get to enjoy any actual VS playing until i get a new card.

But luckily there is plenty that can be done in the meantime that wont require my being able to actually run the game. :)
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

There were some tricks to get it to build (the binary driver)... don't give up. AFAIR, some header files were moved, so a symlink here or there and it built.
Wing Commander Universe
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

Building it was easy. It locked on load. The patch needed to get it to fully build ( not talking about header for version) on 3.7.8 doesn't work correctly. My card is deprecated to legacy. F that
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

So my plan is to convert Python to 3.x.
Then move the GUI tools to Python based tools.

Also, I hate Python. :) but I hate unnecessary and/or obsolete dependencies more.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

safemode wrote:So my plan is to convert Python to 3.x.
Then move the GUI tools to Python based tools.
Yes :) good move.
safemode wrote:Also, I hate Python. :) but I hate unnecessary and/or obsolete dependencies more.
Shame on you!

Really, python is very very neat once you start using all its power. Your sentence makes me think you haven't.

What we really need, to be able to, say, have vssetup coded in Python, is a fool-proof python toolchain for windows. Python in linux is really powerful, but many things we can do in linux we can't do in windows, because installing the extensions is tough. There are workarounds, like py2exe (or whatever succeeded it since I heard it was replaced).
Wing Commander Universe
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

I never liked languages that are white space aware.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

safemode wrote:I never liked languages that are white space aware.
I know it's a pain at first. But you get used to it, and it's very readable.
Wing Commander Universe
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

safemode wrote:I never liked languages that are white space aware.
Then use an editor that is Python aware :wink: their several that are installed by default even on Debian nose-bleed.Just switched from fedora to Squeeze myself but have not fully populated it yet.Got tired of something breaking with each new release so I've joined the duck and cover crowd :lol:

safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

Well, looks like i wont be getting my old sf account back ....it's got email accounts that no longer exist registered to it and None of my passwords seem to work on it.

I created a new sourceforge account, cellsafemode
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

safemode wrote:I created a new sourceforge account, cellsafemode
I guess you'll be needing dev access..
Wing Commander Universe
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

eventually. I'm not going to piecemeal stuff into the repo before it's ready and it will take a bit of time to convert this python to python3. Though i've already started.