Big ships and gravity wells.

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

omegakent
Explorer
Explorer

Big ships and gravity wells.

Post by omegakent »

Greetings, here for asking assistance, now.
It's my first time using massive ships, this time a Mule. I bought it in Visedevas system, and equipped it. I made some local system trade runs, profitting me decently, and then I tried for a jump. Not enough energy. Well, at the time, I was not able to remember nor checked what should I buy, but it's not the problem: I switched to my agile Derivative, and traveled to Sol/Luna, looking for heavy tractor beams. With my Derivative I reached Luna, switched back to my shining Mule, bought the heavy tractor beams, and went for trade runs.
As I have some cash saved, I decided to buy almost everything in each planet. So I started with Luna, then Earth, followed Starfortress 4 (and no the others as I noticed SF have nothing for me), next Mars, Phobos, Deimos, tried for a Commerce Center near Mars but... it seems there is some interference... and after that, Vesta and finally Jupiter. Well, obviously it's hard to imagine there could be something in Jupiter, as it's a gaseous giant, but who knows: Rlaan lives in gaseous giants, so I used autopilot and went there.
Problem was that Autopilot (that little thing) dropped me at only 5200 km from the surface. Docking ready, and I docked, just to find there was nothing. And when I tried to leave, it was all the hell. I spent 1 hour to leave the planet, with an insane speed of 11 km/s. It was not that bad, if it weren't that it took me 1 hour to reach that speed with my Mule, and it will take me another hour to get to the opposite direction, as my destination is behind Jupiter.
Any suggestion, please? I'm still trying to deaccelerate.
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." Salvor Hardin in Foundation, by Isaac Asimov. New York, 1943.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Re: Big ships and gravity wells.

Post by pheonixstorm »

yeah, not fun...I think there might have been a change in svn to make this a little less of an issue but i'm not sure.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
omegakent
Explorer
Explorer

Post by omegakent »

What about setting a specific value for the undocking distance from a planet? It would work as a temporary solution, may be a permanent one.
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." Salvor Hardin in Foundation, by Isaac Asimov. New York, 1943.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

That I'm not sure about.. I haven't looked around enough to know where the docking distances are.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

AFAIK, they're set as a percentage of planet radius. Maybe that scheme doesn't relate well to SPEC influence?
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

A fully laden cargo ship for the most part has a very difficult time escaping from a planet to enter spec.. so yeah we we need to fix or start adding in some new staions orbiting around planets, and make some planets such as gas giants undockable to avoid the escape velocity issues.
omegakent
Explorer
Explorer

Post by omegakent »

pheonixstorm wrote:... so yeah we we need to fix or start adding in some new staions orbiting around planets...
Personally, I'm wishing VegaStrike leaves alpha and beta stages very soon, as it has been in beta for years; work should be focused first in fixing bugs, fixing in-game exploits and absurd issues, instead of adding features. Setting the undocking distance to the lowest docking distance should work for this issue.
Not needed a more complex and accurate ingame experience, but a more playable one. Accuracy code could be added in 1.01 version, and so on.