A good space game in the wait for next version of VS

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

Dawe
Merchant
Merchant

A good space game in the wait for next version of VS

Post by Dawe »

I*ve been having these cravings for for a good space game for a while. A game largely like VS or maybe something else, but with space ships!

The games i've run through so far are:
Freespace 2 (unmodded, cant get around to modding it)
X series (too though to get into)
Of course MoO 1-2
etc.. (can't remember them all atm)

If anyone has a tip on something playable I'd gladly appreciate the tip!
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: A good space game in the wait for next version of VS

Post by loki1950 »

Here's something that Deus Siddis just posted earlier today downloading myself ATM :D http://pioneerspacesim.net/

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Define "space ships". Real world craft, craft of a specific franchise, a particular look, the ability to fly from orbit to the ground, fanciful propulsion and craft but real physics? In short, why are the ships of VS not "space ships", they are intelligently controlled craft that fly through space are they not? The two suggested look interesting but to find what you are looking for details would be nice.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

I think it was a game with space ships, not that VS DIDN'T have space ships. Try one of the Homeworld mods. I'm pretty sure there are a couple floating around after the limited source release.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
Skodyn
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Post by Skodyn »

I owned a game called Evochron Alliance at one time, I thought it was one of the best space trading/combat games I've ever played. I've not yet tried the latest versions but I would recommend giving them a try, there is a free demo for each game.

http://www.starwraith.com/

Check you meet the system requirements first, I need a new pc before I start playing them again :(
But I have VS so I'm happy for now :)
Dawe
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Dawe »

By space ships i mean something with some kind of design looking as if it was able to fly in space somehow. I'm not picky by the realism, but i like chuck's realistic spaceship alot (check it out in the ooold part of the art forums).
Transcendence was fun.. kind of got stuck at a level that got me really annoyed, so yes i rage quitted it :oops:
The eveochron games... something is bugging me about it, maybe I should try it out.
Pioneer space sim could be something! but is it done? is it still under development?

Thanks for answering my question, proving that there is still som life in the good old VS off topic forum!
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

And right as I open this topic I get the BSG Online Ad. Talk about creepy :lol:
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

pheonixstorm wrote:And right as I open this topic I get the BSG Online Ad. Talk about creepy :lol:
I don't see the ads (vs theme).

Not that I'm complaining...
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

I too use the VS theam and do not see ads. Hmm... a perk for being a regular you have the VS theam opened up and you don't see the ads? :twisted:
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

yeah, ive got to fix that theme to display them...
Nawshad007
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by Nawshad007 »

From my childhood I love to discover space. I love space games. I can remember Demonstar, Star Quest. At the moment I am waiting for Star Quest 2. Developers of Star Quest are releasing Star Quest 2: United Galaxies.
Dawe
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Dawe »

Regarding space sims I guess no one's missed the new Elite game, not to mention the enormously funded Star Citizen. I'm still quite sceptical regarding Star Citizen, might just be a huge pipedream..
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

I believe star citizen will come through. If you look at only the officially promised features, the game is relatively conservative (especially given its vast and growing war chest).

The core game is about running and gunning as a person or vehicle and they are using a pre-built engine designed for exactly those things. The main engine work that is left must be MMO server management and a limited persistent universe simulation (limited in the sense that it doesn't have to work fully autonomously- they can script events to correct for imbalances on the fly).

There's mainly two things I imagine are potentially troublesome at this point. The first is that they have separate teams all over the country building pieces of the game separately, which will need to fit together smoothly for the game to be complete. The other is the temptation to get financially sidetracked by content minutia like trying to equal/beat mass effect's lip-sync or build too many high detail planetary scenes.

I think maybe the reason star citizen seems too good to be true is people are reading way too much into its scope. Probably space battles will be mostly empty space with the same amount of concurrent players as a battlefield game. Travel will likely be very abbreviated or tediously uneventful most of the time. Planetary environments probably won't be explorable much beyond the starport. Planetary battles will happen only in a few select locations and be confined to a map not bigger than that of your average FPS game. Missions will be an evolutionary (not revolutionary) improvement on preceding space games and will either be limited in number or repetitive. Trade will use the same interface and basic mechanics as others have used, only with a dynamic back end that could be manipulated as much as is necessary behind the scenes.

When we think about star citizen in terms of likely technical limitations like these, instead of everything you ever wanted in a game but have never seen done before, it still looks like a huge undertaking but a doable one for a well funded project such as they are.