So....whos active?

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

sgtseeker85
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

So....whos active?

Post by sgtseeker85 »

Just been strolling about the forums reading up on the vega strike universe and find myself being sucked in fast. :D

I did notice though that new posts seem to be rare so I'm putting this here as a hello and to find out who is active here, so hello. :)

Post here so we can see who is currently active maybe we can even set up some multiplayer games and deliver some sheep erotica to some lonely miners together........ ah........ :wink:
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: So....whos active?

Post by klauss »

Well, the slowness may be due to the proximity of the 0.5.1 final release. We're focused on bug hunting and getting it polished enough for a release, so discussions about other stuff, like new features, is a bit on the back burner.

During the first beta, with far more bugs, things were far more active. And I expect it to be back on the active side when we start with the 0.5.2 roadmap.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome aboard sgtseeker85 It seems that that everyone is busy with real life :shock: But I have seen several low periods here,but then then I'm an old timer here :mrgreen:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
sgtseeker85
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by sgtseeker85 »

Hey klauss and loki, thanks for the welcome. Yeah it seemed at first maybe I came late and the game was starting to slow down, I'm glad it hasn't as I'm enjoying playing it immensely.

Hmmm, may make a banner linking people to the download and go post everywhere I usually go......... :D
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Actually since it took so long between .5 and .5.1 (not to mention most of the original devs bailing to start a new project before this one was finished) kinda of caused a lot of people to slowly drift away. Hopefully though between loki (if he can contribute more code less lip :P ), klauss, log0, and myself, we can get this place rocking again. Just need to keep plugging away at the code and hopefully make some (more) major improvements. Love the game, love the project, just wish we could get all the people back.. would make bug fixing easier with more users (that post anyway) and bring in some new developers.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Most of my coding was done way back in the 70's pheonixstorm before OOP mostly IBM360 Assembly, FORTRAN,Forth and a bit of COBOL still plugging away trying to grok Python and parse C++.The brain is kinda atrophied :lol: especially after my stroke last April and my left side is still very numb :evil: so typing is a bloody nuisance.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Yeah, but thats the best reason to tease you about code contribution. It's so archaic that it would fit in perfectly with whats already in VS. I do what I can.. but my poor skills aren't up to stuff to do any major changes.. best I can hope for if a few smalls things here and there and yell at people for breaking the win32 code :lol: Oh well, at least we do have a working win32 :D
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Now to attract a few OSX builders :) as well. I do have Python 2.7 and Dr Python installed know of any good online text I could download to get the basics of syntax and class inheritances as I mentioned I'm way out of date on the OPP front.

travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

And another party heard from: I check in, but have different computer interests and drift in and out. Currently trying to flesh out the ideas and some data for an overhaul of the economy.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Activity is relative. Define active. :P
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

pheonixstorm wrote:Actually since it took so long between .5 and .5.1 (not to mention most of the original devs bailing to start a new project before this one was finished) kinda of caused a lot of people to slowly drift away. Hopefully though between loki (if he can contribute more code less lip :P ), klauss, log0, and myself, we can get this place rocking again. Just need to keep plugging away at the code and hopefully make some (more) major improvements. Love the game, love the project, just wish we could get all the people back.. would make bug fixing easier with more users (that post anyway) and bring in some new developers.
Yeah, I have a plan for that. Once we get 0.5.1 ready (ie: working for our limited beta testers), I plan to submit it to openSUSE's games repo. We'll get tons of users from that place, I think. It won't be part of the official distro (we can't expect that with a 500M package) but it will be close. And that games repo also builds for debian, though the OBS is not so popular with debian.
Wing Commander Universe
Gungnir
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Gungnir »

I'm mostly around; still trying to figure out Blender's UV mapper.
~Gungnir
segfault wrote:if I was actually in space I'd totally be throwing on autopilot and relaxing in the back during the trip, sipping space wine and listening (rlaan?) jazz.
Rig: i5 2500k @ 5ghz, 2x OCZ Agility 3 120gb SSD boot drives, AMD Radeon HD 7950 @ 1100/1575 (Catalyst 12.1 Linux and 12.3 Windows), dual-boot Fedora 16 KDE and Windows 7 Pro
Munno
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Munno »

I'm back from my year-long vacation and plan on actually being active if my evil, malevolent and generally irritating internet will let me.
Much love shall be extended to this excellent game and it's amazing community.

Munno's (outdated) guide to hacking VegaStrike Saved files!

There is no such thing as IRL, there is only AFK. In my case, year long AFKs.
"Do not walk in front of me for I will not follow.
Do not walk behind me for I will not lead.
Do not walk beside me, either. Just stay the hell out of my way!" - Stark
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

I suspect an occasional "role call" would help. There seems to be occasional questions about what the "community" will find acceptable, but who that consists of is rather dynamic. This seems to help find out who is around and posting, if not adding something. Even ideas have value when building something this big.
eracc
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by eracc »

Hi sgtseeker85, welcome aboard. :) I am "active-ish". Trying to overcome the horrible current economy by getting enough work to survive in R/L has been impinging on my gaming and forum posting for a while now. But I am still around and do still try to read the VS forum at least once per week.
http://www.eracc.com/ - Linux, Unix, eComStation (Get rid of proprietary Microsoft and Apple!)
Custom Built, Preloaded PCs, Workstations and Servers - Business, Home and Gamer systems
My custom built Linux Gamer/Personal/Business box: Mageia Linux on - ASUS M4A78, 4GB RAM (Linux "sees" 3.2 GB with a 32-bit kernel), AMD Phenom Quad-core @ 2.6GHz, Radeon X1650 Pro PCIe, "sda" 250GB WD2500AAKS-0, "sdb" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdc" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdd" 500GB ST3500418AS, "xfs" file system on all but the / partition which is using "ext4".
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Well, you sell new computers with an "out of mainstream" OS. (Now I love Linux, just have yet to take the plunge. Never the less, it can be a tough sell. Looks like Windows 8 may give mac and Linux a boost though. -shudder-) We mostly clean and fix computers where I work and business is brisk but steady.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Yeah I've seen lots of negative feedback on win8 beta mainly about the GUI and it's seeming touch screen orientation and not being mouse friendly at all.So I doubt there will be much corporate take up so M$ has a repeat of the Millennium/Vista marketing fiasco :shock: Why can't M$ let the sw engineers and not the Marketing Dept design their OS :roll: they seem to hop back and forth with each new release :mrgreen:

eracc
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by eracc »

Building and selling PC systems is not what gives me an income. The margins have to stay so low to be competitive that there is not much money in it unless one can sell many more units a month than I do. My SOHO business also cleans and fixes computers with a Microsoft OS installed as well as building, selling and installing same. As you can see here, I do not refuse to build a Microsoft based PC. I also provide controlled Microsoft patch service for Microsoft PCs and servers and update service for Linux servers for some of my clients that pay me a monthly fee to handle that. Those are my only steady income and there are not enough of those to meet all the bills at this point, mainly because six of the businesses I had contracts to service have gone under in the past few years. (Bankruptcy liquidation for most of them. For one, a local winery, the investors pulled their support due to the uncertain economy and he had to close as he needed a bit more time to get to a profitable point.) Finding new businesses that will sign a service contract has been a no-go so far.

As I do not have a "brick and mortar" building in a location where people can see it and walk-in, that is part of my problem. My SOHO office here is in a location where I cannot advertise as a business or have people coming to my office for business related work due to city zoning. Moving is not an option and opening a brick and mortar location would take more money that I do not have currently. So, I have to go out and get new business myself or rely on word of mouth business. My clients that are a business rarely need me to clean and fix their computers, Linux or Microsoft, after purchasing from me and having me set them up. My systems "just work" for a long time and are preconfigured for security before I install / ship them. By a long time, I mean many years. I have a client in Alaska who bought a new PC from me in 2002. He is jut now getting another new PC from me, not because that one from 2002 is failing, but because he wants a new, more powerful system. :) Granted, that 2002 system is rather old now as 10 years is a long time for a PC. Plus the hard drives could go at any time. But they are SCSI, server type drives and might last another 5 years or more.

Anyway, I'm not here to hijack this thread to air my woes. My troubles are only mentioned to explain why I have not been so active in the past few months.
http://www.eracc.com/ - Linux, Unix, eComStation (Get rid of proprietary Microsoft and Apple!)
Custom Built, Preloaded PCs, Workstations and Servers - Business, Home and Gamer systems
My custom built Linux Gamer/Personal/Business box: Mageia Linux on - ASUS M4A78, 4GB RAM (Linux "sees" 3.2 GB with a 32-bit kernel), AMD Phenom Quad-core @ 2.6GHz, Radeon X1650 Pro PCIe, "sda" 250GB WD2500AAKS-0, "sdb" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdc" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdd" 500GB ST3500418AS, "xfs" file system on all but the / partition which is using "ext4".
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Sorry bout that. Last I looked at your site, I had the impression that system sales (focusing on Linux boxes) was your primary thrust. My own occasional inactivity is because I play other games, and do some 3D imagery in a program called Poser, but I keep drifting back.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

loki1950 wrote:Yeah I've seen lots of negative feedback on win8 beta mainly about the GUI and it's seeming touch screen orientation and not being mouse friendly at all.So I doubt there will be much corporate take up so M$ has a repeat of the Millennium/Vista marketing fiasco :shock: Why can't M$ let the sw engineers and not the Marketing Dept design their OS :roll: they seem to hop back and forth with each new release :mrgreen:

:lol: You noticed that too? It started with 95...

95 sucked
98 was decent
ME sucked even worse than 95
XP rocked!
Vista looked pretty but still sucked
7 Looks pretty and runs pretty darn good
8... well I haven't run the developer preview but it looks like a cell phone OS.. I don't want my comp to look like an over sized cell phone
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

All improvement is progressive.

When they suck, it's the GUI that sucks, but they improve (generally by a large margin) the kernel. It's invisible, and largely counteracted by the general badness of the usually mandatory and only GUI. But then, in the next iteration, they keep the same kernel and fix the GUI.

That happened with Vista. It had a vastly improved kernel. But that wasn't enough to make Vista good, because they largely messed the GUI. It also happened with 95, which was the first version to include win32 and ditch the DOS kernel underneath.
Wing Commander Universe
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Thats not entirely true though. There may be vast improvements to both the gui and the kernel but that doesn't explain the BSOD that is not related to the gui improvements or in the case of Vista/7 the BROD (Blue Ribbon of Death). 95/98/ME didn't have drastic gui changes either, but 95 and ME were both buggy as hell. The Vista gui and win 7 gui are nearly the same (with some enhancements in 7) but with such a drastic change in the OS the kernel got a lot of updates as well. The filesystem was supposed to get an update too but the project was never completed before Vista shipped and may have been scrapped since it never made it into 7. Same ol ntfs. At least its not fat16 or fat32. Now that at least was a huge step in the right direction. MS made the right design decision though when they went with the nt kernel over the retail win32 kernel. Though they should start trading up and going the route Apple did and craft win 9 out of a unix core (even if it is only proprietary).
Gungnir
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Gungnir »

klauss wrote:That happened with Vista. It had a vastly improved kernel. But that wasn't enough to make Vista good, because they largely messed the GUI. It also happened with 95, which was the first version to include win32 and ditch the DOS kernel underneath.
ME and Vista's problems were not in the GUI...

Anyway, while Win8's kernel is massively improved, they messed with the GUI so much, it completely ruins the OS. While you can disable Metro and use a GUI more like Vista/7, they still made some horrible changes, such as removing the Start button. While Win8 is going to be great for tablets, I'm doubtful as to its usefulness on the desktop. Just my two cents.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, a UNIX Windows 9 would be great.
~Gungnir
segfault wrote:if I was actually in space I'd totally be throwing on autopilot and relaxing in the back during the trip, sipping space wine and listening (rlaan?) jazz.
Rig: i5 2500k @ 5ghz, 2x OCZ Agility 3 120gb SSD boot drives, AMD Radeon HD 7950 @ 1100/1575 (Catalyst 12.1 Linux and 12.3 Windows), dual-boot Fedora 16 KDE and Windows 7 Pro
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Well, would be great, but don't forget they have to keep it compatible with a lot of older software so who knows how much would have to stay the same and how much would actually be unix type code. Then again... MS could always design its own wine that would be more tightly integrated into the OS and seamlessly slip between old and new.

Hell apple did a good job using unix. Shame MS will never follow the same path :(
Gungnir
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Gungnir »

Indeed. Well, we can only hope that MS gets NT to be as good as *Nix one of these days.
~Gungnir