That Closed OS (any of them)

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

Gungnir
Mercenary
Mercenary

Re: That Closed OS (any of them)

Post by Gungnir »

eracc wrote: Now I wonder why people would rely on software that has only one developer and is not open source. That just does not seem to be a good idea, no matter how good the software happens to be.
What's the alternative, though? Very few if any programs can match xNormal in AOs, and then there's all the other stuff too. There just aren't really any other options, not that I've heard of at least. If you're running Windows, xNormal is more or less perfect.
~Gungnir
segfault wrote:if I was actually in space I'd totally be throwing on autopilot and relaxing in the back during the trip, sipping space wine and listening (rlaan?) jazz.
Rig: i5 2500k @ 5ghz, 2x OCZ Agility 3 120gb SSD boot drives, AMD Radeon HD 7950 @ 1100/1575 (Catalyst 12.1 Linux and 12.3 Windows), dual-boot Fedora 16 KDE and Windows 7 Pro
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Not liking the Ubuntu 11.10 and Vega strike is not compiling (make issues).
Mandriva One 2011?
Kubuntu?
Xubuntu?

Maybe I'll see if Pendrivelinux's Universal USB Installer Can install puppy with user space... :evil:
eracc
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by eracc »

No! Not Mandriva! You should read this, this and this about Mandriva. I would suggest giving Mageia 1 a try, but I have zero clue how to make a bootable USB stick. So, good luck making that work if you decide to try it. ;)
http://www.eracc.com/ - Linux, Unix, eComStation (Get rid of proprietary Microsoft and Apple!)
Custom Built, Preloaded PCs, Workstations and Servers - Business, Home and Gamer systems
My custom built Linux Gamer/Personal/Business box: Mageia Linux on - ASUS M4A78, 4GB RAM (Linux "sees" 3.2 GB with a 32-bit kernel), AMD Phenom Quad-core @ 2.6GHz, Radeon X1650 Pro PCIe, "sda" 250GB WD2500AAKS-0, "sdb" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdc" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdd" 500GB ST3500418AS, "xfs" file system on all but the / partition which is using "ext4".
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Big download! the above referenced tool has a "try unlisted iso" option, you just have to know if it is an old syslinux or a new syslinux.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

travists wrote:Not liking the Ubuntu 11.10 and Vega strike is not compiling (make issues).
  • Try cmake
  • Post bug reports (on the tracker)
IIRC, there's an ubuntu 11.10 build in OBS, so it should mostly work.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

travists wrote:Kubuntu?
Xubuntu?
Maybe I'll see if Pendrivelinux's Universal USB Installer Can install puppy with user space... :evil:
I got Xubuntu. XFCE is cool, but if you know a decent filemanager for it (thunar is almost useless, nautilus screws up desktop even if told not to, pcmanfm can't make symlinks and crashes from any draft until it can't recover), tell me...
VS SVN compiles, though. And everything. Though if i installed any *buntu again, maybe i'd stop on LTS version (before not-yet-fully-fixed multiarc bug, etc).
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

One big reason why OSX and Windows will stay on top, people are too lazy to actually LEARN how linux works. Even with the latest Gnome and KDE there is still a low beyond point and click that you have to learn. Linux is a hell of a lot easier to use than it once was but its still not monkey friendly.

I would love linux to get a bigger market share, even if only for commercial games.. Oh well, Neverwinter Nights was released on linux, windows, and I think mac so many years ago, so Bioware did care about linux. For a little while anyway. though i think that was due to a change in ownership rather than a developer decision.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
eracc
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by eracc »

TBeholder wrote:I got Xubuntu. XFCE is cool, but if you know a decent filemanager for it (thunar is almost useless, nautilus screws up desktop even if told not to, pcmanfm can't make symlinks and crashes from any draft until it can't recover)...
Well, I use Thunar and it is "okay". But I really like 'mc' which is included with any decent Linux distribution. If 'mc' is not included, then your Linux distribution is indecent! ;) I also like the 'mc'-like X type file mangers such as gnome-commander. There is also gentoo file manager.
http://www.eracc.com/ - Linux, Unix, eComStation (Get rid of proprietary Microsoft and Apple!)
Custom Built, Preloaded PCs, Workstations and Servers - Business, Home and Gamer systems
My custom built Linux Gamer/Personal/Business box: Mageia Linux on - ASUS M4A78, 4GB RAM (Linux "sees" 3.2 GB with a 32-bit kernel), AMD Phenom Quad-core @ 2.6GHz, Radeon X1650 Pro PCIe, "sda" 250GB WD2500AAKS-0, "sdb" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdc" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdd" 500GB ST3500418AS, "xfs" file system on all but the / partition which is using "ext4".