So, how did you find out about Vega Strike?

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

Bazza
Merchant
Merchant

So, how did you find out about Vega Strike?

Post by Bazza »

Just curious to know how everyone found out about Vega Strike.

Personnally, I was browsing SourceForge one day, looking through the games. Then I stumbled across this game that sounded like good old Privateer. I thought "I gotta check this out!". So I went and had a look, then spent hours downloading 0.3.1 on my dial-up connection. I think the game is great, and can't wait till 0.5.0 get's released (yeah, I know 0.4.0 was only just released. But given how much improvement there was over 0.3.0, just imagine how good 0.5.0 is going to be).
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

Wandered over from the Wing Commander CIC site
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

browsing sourceforge for some free games ;-) and I came across vegastrike, version 0.0.1 :-) (all the way back in 2001! :-) )

even back then, I was amazed at how great VS looked (graphically...playwise it wasn't on the map :-) )

Dan.a
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

The CIC linked to Vega Strike one day... it was the version that was accompanied by a screen shot of a bunch of silvery hellcats (or something) in a grid pattern. I played around with it, and thought it was pretty neat.

But what REALLY grabbed my attention were the later 0.2.x releases... It surprised the hell out of me that the dinky little game from before had so much more depth and potential than I previously thought. I've been an avid follower of Vega Strike since.
Duality
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Duality »

A long time ago like in late 1999. Before it was even a privateer game.
pincushionman
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by pincushionman »

I was browing the Google directory for free games. Downloaded one called Orbit (or something like that). Reformatted hard drive. Tried to find Orbit (?) again but couldn't. But while searching for said game (in Google, Yahoo, etc.) Vega Strike kept coming up, so I decided to give it a whirl. Hell of a lot better than Orbit. Still can't find it, though.

-pincushionman
Conquer space!
-pincushionman

---------------------------------------

Kansas really is flatter than a pancake!
http://www.improbable.com/airchives/pap ... ansas.html
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

pincushionman wrote:I was browing the Google directory for free games. Downloaded one called Orbit (or something like that). Reformatted hard drive. Tried to find Orbit (?) again but couldn't. But while searching for said game (in Google, Yahoo, etc.) Vega Strike kept coming up, so I decided to give it a whirl. Hell of a lot better than Orbit. Still can't find it, though.

-pincushionman
we used to have it on our links page...let's have a look through my backups......

http://genesis.ne.mediaone.net/orbit

:-)

uh oh......

:-(

doesn't work for me :-/

Dan.a
Surfdargent
Developer
Developer

Post by Surfdargent »

I found VS by browsing linux game tome or freshmeat game directory...
I don't remember well, it was years ago : the 0.0.1 time too.
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

dandandaman wrote:browsing sourceforge for some free games ;-) and I came across vegastrike, version 0.0.1 :-)
Same here, though i vistied sf at version 0.1.x or something.

Pontiac
ihatejacknjills
Trader
Trader

Post by ihatejacknjills »

i found it when browsing google too, but it was recently (0.4 release). I like it because it reminds me of my frontier elite 2 days. That was a great game.
I can't wait for the next release of vegastrike. The solar system in this one is rubbish :cry:.
by the way it's my 18th birthday today.
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

I was looking for a space sim running under linux, google so ;)
I see dead polygons....
FlyingAce
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by FlyingAce »

came with linux
jump gate hypocrate

Post by jump gate hypocrate »

looked through freshmeat and happypeguin. I found Tuxfleet (the pre-sequel of vegastrike) and it said vegastrike was the sequel.
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

a freind of mine told me about vs 0.1
adamjaskie

Post by adamjaskie »

Clicked on the urandom link to LinuxGames from slashdot last night. I had never heard of Vega Strike, so I decided to try it out. Its downloading right now.
energyman
Merchant
Merchant

Post by energyman »

I browsed the games section at freshmeat.

That was *think* shortly after 0.3 came out.

I talked with a friend, which game we would write, if we did not suck so much at programming.

After that, I found vs, and it was (almost) exactly what I wanted.
Starchild
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Starchild »

It was some time ago I was looking for games in some linux gaming sites. I think it said something about vs beeing similar to elite, which I'd read was a exceptionally popular game, though somewhat before I started gaming. VS was in version 0.2 back then. I think it also required alsa, iirc, and I didn't have alsa then, and I didn't care to install it than (alsa, that is) ;)
I installed alsa only this summer, and later recalled that I now could check out this game. Of course, it didn't require alsa any longer :roll: , but I can't say it mattered much ;)

I came to download the latest version just before 0.4 came out :)
The only way to stay sane in an insane world, is to be mad yourself.
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

Starchild wrote:I think it also required alsa, iirc,
that wouldn't be VS....alsa has never been required at any stage :-)

Dan.a
Glytch
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

A misdirected google search

Post by Glytch »

I found Vega Strike by looking for a way to fix a compile problem. I was trying to get Celestia (an open-source 3D astronomy sim) working, but kept having libglut-related errors. Turns out I had a screwed up glut installation, but it seems that some other people had similiar problems with compiling Vega Strike.

Nearly tore my hair out for a day trying to get Vega Strike to compile, too, but that's a long and boring story. Damn glut.
scheherazade
Developer
Developer

Post by scheherazade »

ok, a late response, but i lost the internet... so... whatever

i found it from the CIC link.

but before that grid-picture like previously mentioned.

i dont know what version it was, but i remember it only allowed for flying 'A' mission, no systems just one 'place'. and it supported multiplayer! yay :) haha, it was really difficult to play that 1v1...
or maybe it was so long ago that i'm senile and remember wrong...

didn't vegastrike have multiplayer when it was REALLY raw?

-scheherazade
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

Anonymous wrote:ok, a late response, but i lost the internet... so... whatever

i found it from the CIC link.

but before that grid-picture like previously mentioned.

i dont know what version it was, but i remember it only allowed for flying 'A' mission, no systems just one 'place'. and it supported multiplayer! yay :) haha, it was really difficult to play that 1v1...
or maybe it was so long ago that i'm senile and remember wrong...

didn't vegastrike have multiplayer when it was REALLY raw?

-scheherazade
AFAIK it still has multiplayer support (splitscreen)
There are even some multiplayer missions (multiplayer.mission and multiplayer1.mission... and search the rest of the dir for *2player* files) in your mission-directory. Though i never tried then, so i'm not sure if they work :lol:

Pontiac
scheherazade
Developer
Developer

Post by scheherazade »

nono,

i meant _real_ multiplayer.

i.e. TCP/IP

my friend wojtek would come over and we'd lan sometimes, we tried a super old VS version (the one where it only had one 'place/mission' per any one execution of the program, and the only available vehicle was the old hellcat looking model) between us 2 on separate machines.

-scheherazade
Rabiator
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Rabiator »

Among the reader forums at Heise http://www.heise.de is one about games. Someone there recommended Vega Strike.
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

Rabiator wrote:Among the reader forums at Heise http://www.heise.de is one about games. Someone there recommended Vega Strike.
That was me :D
Though there wasn't much feedback in the thread :?, so i can't say how many ppl checked out VS after reading it.
But facts are saying that it is at least one of course ;-)

Pontiac

Post by Guest »

Saw it listed in the Lindows Clink-n-Run warehouse, and wanted to find if there was a Win version (there is, hurrah!) I haven't actually played it yet, heck, I'm just beginning to DL it on dial-up :) But the screenshots look nice, and you forum people seem to think it's good :)