Which distro to choose...

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Which distro to choose...

Post by pheonixstorm »

Getting my dev machine ready for a new format. Ive got 3 hard drives in it at the momment: 2 identical 40g and a 120g (i could replace a 40 with an 80). So far i'm not sure what to install for my linux partition... I got updated copies of all my distros (minus debian and slackware) so Gentoo, ubuntu, suse (opensuse), and mandriva are all burned to cd/dvd.

I've used em all except ubuntu at some point in their development cycle (not including RH, Fedora, Linspire, Corel, and the another thats no longer maintained). If I choose Gentoo I can probably put something up for their package system (I did it once before for a WZ2100 download or some other game). Then again ubuntu seems to be rather popular now as well (though how their package management system is i dont know). If anyone has any suggestions let me know. Oh, the one thing I would like it to use is grub. Provided grub doesnt suck now, it didnt many moons ago...
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Re: Which distro to choose...

Post by pheonixstorm »

So my choices may be rather limited if trying to load the liveCds is any indication... My stupid retarded monitor for whatever reason is very picky about its resolution. If the loader doesnt do something right my monitor complaining about not being set for 1440x900. I had this problem trying to play with the Win7 RC last year too, never bothered to check for a fix then.. not sure I want to now either. Ubuntu and Mandriva are the only livecds that worked, suse and gentoo barfed. I don't know if I want to spend the time getting gentoo to work.

Anyway, mandriva still has all its eyecandy (or eyecrack as one game site states) with KDE (prefered) while ubuntu loads with gnome (errr no). Being a live cd though neither ran very quickly but ubuntu ran a lot quicker (kinda expected it too). So, unless there is a simple fix for gentoo it looks like ubuntu wins anyway.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Fedora is a pretty safe bet.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
eracc
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by eracc »

pheonixstorm wrote:So my choices may be rather limited if trying to load the liveCds is any indication... Anyway, mandriva still has all its eyecandy (or eyecrack as one game site states) with KDE (prefered) ....
I use Mandriva as my business, personal / gaming system of choice. I do not use either of the bloatware desktops (KDE, Gnome). I do a minimal install with X, use fluxbox and just load the applications I want after I get the system installed and run updates. I have tried / played with various 'buntu versions, Fedora, Puppy and a couple of others. I always come back to Mandriva. One does not have to accept the glitz and glitter, a.k.a. "eyecrack", to run Mandriva.
http://www.eracc.com/ - Linux, Unix, eComStation (Get rid of proprietary Microsoft and Apple!)
Custom Built, Preloaded PCs, Workstations and Servers - Business, Home and Gamer systems
My custom built Linux Gamer/Personal/Business box: Mageia Linux on - ASUS M4A78, 4GB RAM (Linux "sees" 3.2 GB with a 32-bit kernel), AMD Phenom Quad-core @ 2.6GHz, Radeon X1650 Pro PCIe, "sda" 250GB WD2500AAKS-0, "sdb" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdc" 150GB WD1500ADFD-0 (Raptor), "sdd" 500GB ST3500418AS, "xfs" file system on all but the / partition which is using "ext4".