Convalescent

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Convalescent

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Was supposed 2 b minor surgery; --guess it was--; but here I am, having gone through more pain in
the last 24 than in the 51 yrs before, in spite of the morphine pills.. Writing this is a pain of a different
kind... I ABSOLUTELY HATE laptops, yet I'm lying down and typing on a laptop w/1 hand. Not that I
could sit at my PC now; but if I could, its chipset fan died on me the moment I turned it on, back
from the hospital. Throw in a stomach flu that hit me the very morning of surgery day...
But let me spare you from any more details; just wanted to say I'm in no shape to write; --this has taken
about 25 minutes already; but I'll probably be reading the forum.
Also, if someone could please repost this 4 me at wcjunction I'd appreciate it; my password 2 log in
is in my dead PC. Thanks.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Re: Convalescent

Post by safemode »

done, in the off topic forum
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
snow_Cat
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by snow_Cat »

^ - -^ meow, I'm certain that the PC does not want you to overexert yourself.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

chuck_starchaser wrote:Was supposed 2 b minor surgery; --guess it was--; but here I am, having gone through more pain in
the last 24 than in the 51 yrs before, in spite of the morphine pills.. Writing this is a pain of a different
kind... I ABSOLUTELY HATE laptops, yet I'm lying down and typing on a laptop w/1 hand. Not that I
could sit at my PC now; but if I could, its chipset fan died on me the moment I turned it on, back
from the hospital. Throw in a stomach flu that hit me the very morning of surgery day...
Shit, I hope the stomach flu at least subsided quickly?
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Yes, it did. 5 grams/day of vit.C works every time, for colds and flu's. Best kept secret.
Actually, no secret at all, but the drug industry managed to inject enough FUD about C that most people never even try 5g/day for colds.
Maybe they take only 500 mg/day and figure it doesn't work?
Yeah, that flu was gone since this morning. The real problem is that I'm going to need a second round of surgery. This is not official but
it's obvious. I have an appointment with the surgeon for the end of the month, when I'm sure I'll get my next date.
EDIT:
I have to say, though, I have really good guardian angels. About 3 weeks ago a friend of mine showed up at the door; having broken up
with his common law girlfriend of 8 years, looking for a place to stay for a while. So, now that i'm convalescent he's doing all the
shopping and cooking.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Sorry to hear that, hopefully you'll at least get some recovery time before a next operation. Or better yet end up not needing it.

I didn't know that about vitamin C, I'll try to remember to try that dose on whatever I catch next.

If I had to take a wild guess though I think the pharmaceutical industry might have done a much better job suppressing doses of key minerals, which in turn probably became depleted in the food supply as a result of industrial agriculture and worship of nitrogen-phosphate-potassium chemical fertilizer (if they'd only add the same proportion of magnesium to the mix, so much would be better).
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Deus Siddis wrote:Sorry to hear that, hopefully you'll at least get some recovery time before a next operation. Or better yet end up not needing it.

I didn't know that about vitamin C, I'll try to remember to try that dose on whatever I catch next.

If I had to take a wild guess though I think the pharmaceutical industry might have done a much better job suppressing doses of key minerals, which in turn probably became depleted in the food supply as a result of industrial agriculture and worship of nitrogen-phosphate-potassium chemical fertilizer (if they'd only add the same proportion of magnesium to the mix, so much would be better).
Indeed the case. Zinc is the biggest such depletion; you have pretty much no way to get any zinc from food sources; only via supplements.
It's been totally depleted from most arable land. And the thing is, we need it soooo badly... Most enzimes and hormones (and antibodies too)
need either zinc or selenium as the inner atom.
Zinc and selenium are also key to wholesome food taste; the reason a lot of vegetables in North America are so tasteless is their soil
depletion. I used to have a VERY old issue of SciAm with research on plant nutrients, from back when I was a kid, when most SciAm
illustrations were ink and acquarel, rather than photos :D, and it showed a grid of plants in which each column lacked a certain nutrient
and each row had extra amounts of given nutrients. There were a few rows in which all plants looked healthy (even thoug they weren't
exactly "healthy), and those rows corresponded to extra ammounts of sulphur and a few other things which happened to be unwanted
substances found in crude oil.
Morover, plants lacking some essential nutrients showed better "resistance" to pests... Read that pests that fed on them tended to die
of malnutrition.
If you eat a lot of pork meat you might get zinc, as pork are given zinc supplements (or they get sick too easily),
snow_Cat
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by snow_Cat »

meow. I should see if I can find those old issues, they sound much more informative than the current lot.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

I agree. I used to buy SciAm religiously every month, years ago; but nowadays I only buy it once every blue moon; somehow it's lost its loving feeling.